It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

dreamingdenali HB User
Anxiety / Nausea / Food Phobia

Over the past few months I have developed anxiety about what I eat. I've had panic disorder for awhile, it's been pretty well managed. But I came off PPIs (I was on Nexium) after they stopped working and I got REALLY sick for about 10 days. Could hardly eat anything, everything made me feel horrible.

I also am intensely afraid of vomiting. So now, after every meal (especially at night) I become paranoid about whether what I ate is going to make me nauseous. It's absolutely ridiculous and I know it is, but knowing it's ridiculous isn't really the solution. I don't know how to fix this. It's beginning to cause me to become anxious about dinner meetings, dinners with friends, and so forth. I hardly drink anymore, and I have a good streak of days and then start to feel like crap after a meal again, and I KNOW once I start to feel crappy, I freak out and that makes it worse.....does anyone else deal with this? How do you help yourself?? My only solution at this point seems to be ginger, which calms my stomach. I don't sleep well, I have a pretty stressful job, but I am overall pretty happy with my life, have never been depressed or anything, just so high strung.....

Old 01-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
(male)

Ninja1 HB User
Re: Anxiety / Nausea / Food Phobia

I am extremely anxious about eating fatty foods since my father died of a heart attack (right after puking too). I tend to feel like I am going to have a heart problem after I eat fast food or fatty food. I know how you feel: you don't look forward to eating. You keep monitoring for nausea or symptoms which in turn causes them. I myself would like to know how people deal with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #3
(female)

Birdbreath HB User
Re: Anxiety / Nausea / Food Phobia

I used to be afraid of vomiting.. what happened was that I was too afraid of it coming up on its own, so I'd force myself to vomit. That never worked though. Only when I was sick.

Let me tell you, when your fear turns to something else, you won't care about vomiting anymore LOL. I went days without eating.

Try to eat slowly so that you don't bloat yourself. Like eat while having a conversation, or smaller meals.

I hope you get through this soon.

Closed Thread