It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
(male)

Fourteen12 HB User
Can Someone Please Help Me With This Fear (Or Phobia)

Hello all

I am REALLY hoping someone here is able to help me identify my phobia!

I have looked through the lists of phobias and just can't seem to find a name for it! Surely I can't be the only person with this phobia? If, indeed it IS a phobia?

Let me try to explain it:

I have a phobia (or fear) of Large things in places that they shouldn't be! To explain further, when I was a child I visited a Lighthouse and next to the light was a medium sized shipwreck (obvioulsy not a very good lighthouse) but it just creeped me out! Since then, I have seen a London Bus on it's side and it made me so so scared! Also someone sent me a fake picture (that had been doctored with photoshop) of a Boweing 747 that had supposedly overrun its path and eventully ended up half in a car park and half on a motorway! This Also made me shake and feel very sick!

Also, watching a movie recently (Cloverfield) A towerblock had collapsed and fallen against another towerblock and this had the same spine chilling effect.

Even writing this post which is making me think of such things is sending chills down my spine and making me feel very nauseous!

So in a nutshell the sight or thought of any large object that is in a place it shouldn't be scares the life out of me!

Can anyone help me identify this please?

Thanks so much for your help and would like to say this is a GREAT forum! Well done whoever owns/created it!

Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
(male)

Fourteen12 HB User
Re: Can Someone Please Help Me With This Fear (Or Phobia)

Also I would LOVE to hear fromothers with the same fear?

Thanks again

Matt

Old 04-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ROTY HB User

While I can't identify the specific phobia you have, it seems like any other phobia that we could all have. Phobias develop from childhood incidents and traumas. In your case, you were shown a chaotic image of a ship wreck next to a light house. The ship was out of place and there was destruction involved. For a developing mind that would be easy to cause issues.

Your description was less about large things out of place and more or less about HOW they got out of place. Everything you talked about involved some sort of damage (minor or major) that involved a larger object ending up somewhere it didn't belong (and possibly putting people in peril in doing so.)

There maybe a few others with a similar fear, but unfortunately I doubt you will hear from them. If it didn't show up on a list of phobias, then it hasn't been expressed widely enough to be categorized yet.

You aren't abnormal though. Just know that. Anyone can have a phobia about anything at any time. There are some people that even have phobias of phobias.

I would suggest researching phobias that have to do with damage being done (like shipwrecks or airplane crashes things like that) and see if you might fall into those categories. Once you do that, you might have more help from people with similar phobias.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I am sure someone on the board could help.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
(female)

mary63 HB Usermary63 HB User

Hi there- its really hard having a phobia isn't it?? i feel so supported here knowing there are other people experiencing the same type of thing- but obviously we all have our own diff fears- i never knew there was anyone else with the throwing up fear but me!!(its not the kind of this you casually mention to friends and family!!)
but my question is- is your phobia affecting your life and preventing you from your everyday activities or from doing things you want or need to do? If it is then even if you can't identify the specific phobia- thats not so important- but you should seek some support from someone trained to deal with anxiety/phobias etc to help you manage this and learn techniques to lessen your fear reactions...best wishes

Old 04-28-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
(male)

tkmichael HB User
Wink Re: Can Someone Please Help Me With This Fear (Or Phobia)

I don't think you have a specific phobia, but rather general anxiety/panic. The same thing happens to me, occasionally. If I see something out of place, it can immediately throw me into a panic attack. Don't ask me why. I just know it does. I had a pretty severe panic attack while I was driving one time. I looked out my side window and looked at the driver in the car that was passing me. It was a small person (dwarf) and it looked like a small child was driving the car. That immediately put me into a panic attack, so I needed to pull over, control my breathing, and relax. After a few seconds, I was able to pull back into traffic and resume.

Has anyone explained breathing techniques to you? If not, search this site and start practicing relaxation breathing. After you have mastered the breathing technique, try looking at the pictures again. The relaxation breathing really works and has pulled me out of panic attacks numerous times.

Closed Thread