It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User
agoraphobia

Does anyone else here suffer from agoraphobia,before they found my back and neck problem,my gp said i had agoraphobia,iam wondering if I really have that,honestly I think the back problems caused depression(because i cant do the things i use to and have trouble walking,that doesnt sound like agoraphobia to me,what do you girls and guys think? marywoo

Old 05-09-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: agoraphobia

hi mary,
if memory serves me agoraphobia is a fear of open space. do you get out among people? how do you feel when you do? those are the main questions a shrink would ask. just looked up the word in my dictionary. a fear of open places.
being at home alot because you are in pain is different. i spend alot of time alone. i also get out often and socialize on a low key level.
remember just because someone says something doesn't always make it so.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
(female)

Ishla HB User

Hi Mary and Blue..

I have had mild agoraphobia, and don't ask me how I was diagnosed with it. I truly cannot remember if a doctor dx'd it or if I looked up the phobia for the symptoms I was freaking out over. Anyway.. it is also listed as a fear of crowded areas, which was what I had. I still do to a certain extent, become very nervous in settings with lots of people around. Really gives me the willies, but back in the heat of it.. I was housebound because of the dread of it.
I think maybe a lot of FM sufferers may have a touch of this because we all fear getting out there among "the living" when we are hurting bad. I personally don't know if the doc was correct in your case, Mary, because you say you were dx'd with it because of nothing other than back pain. That just doesn't seem to add up, but I'm not a doc, so maybe I'm wrong... oh look, I'm just blubbering along again.. ha ha.. sorry. Anyway, pain can make anyone stay homebound... it doesn't mean you are agoraphobic, just hurting.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User

I agree with bluelakelady. If you're housebound out of necessity, then you probably don't have agoraphobia.

Ishla, I don't think agoraphobia is technically a fear of crowded places... but to the extent that "open places", such as a mall, often contain large numbers of people, I understand what you mean. I often feel anxious when shopping (on those rare occasions when I go out), because I have so much trouble walking from store to store, in search of a gift or something else specific, that I'm afraid I'll have to stop altogether and not be able to continue. I do feel much better if I have someone with me.

Marywoo, are your back problems and depression continuing?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I don't like crowded places either. I don't get panicky or have any anxiety when I'm in a crowded place, I just don't like the hustle and bustle anymore. I've slowed down in my senior years and after years of dealing with the public in my jobs and putting up with all the 'stuff' that goes along with it, I just really don't like being in crowds anymore. I avoid them if I can, if not, well I go with the flow.

Glojer

Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

I think people with FMS suffer from sensory overload a lot. I hate being around a lot of noise and hectic situations. My mond just starts shutting down because there's so much going on around me.

I do have a problem with stadiums, movie theatres, airplanes, etc. I passed out at my high school graduation because it was in an auditorium and my body just started doing really weird things. It was scary. I guess it's kind of like a panic attack. I don't like being anywhere where I don't feel like I can get out or escape. I had that problem long before fms though.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User

Interesting point about sensory overload. One of the other problems I have with going to malls, besides the ones I've already pointed out, are the noise and, especially, the bright lights. I figured it was just "me", being "weird", but you might be onto something, sherryrenee.

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-13-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 05-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

sherry good point. I do hate loud noises, they do make me quite agitated.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

me too. sensory overload is exactly what it is. it can be visual, tactile, or audible. sometimes i can handle it, no sweat. other days tho i am lost in a room of one.
peace,
blue

Old 05-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

I think we dont like the load noises and some places so we can make sure we can think about are problems
and not get upset or panicky in front of people
thats just a guess

Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

What about this one...

I get anxious when im going a long way from my home, i have a fear of being ill, in unfamiliar surroundings. I dont know if thats classed as agrophobia, as i dont really mind getting out and about locally.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

Worrybucket I have the same fears as you. And SherryRenee, I'm the same as you. Hate feeling trapped somewhere where I can't escape quickly. Who knows what it is really. I know one thing - it's a pain in the bum.

Closed Thread