It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

chins01 HB User
OCD /Depression / Anxiety mixed with severe Medical Phobia

My mother has been suffering from severe OCD and depression for about 15 years. She suffers from constant panic attacks and all sorts of phobias and her condition is seriously debilitating. She rarely leaves the house, she won't use the phone or computer, watch television or communicate with the outside world in any way. There are four people in the entire world that she will speak to (relatives) and most communication is very hostile.

The base cause of the problems seems to come from a terrible medical phobia that started after a loved ones death. Any word that relates to anything medical (written, verbal, or in hallucinations/dreams) causes loss of all rationale, complete panic, washing, and throwing out anything in contact with her when she saw/heard it.

She is absolutely unbearable to deal with and is now causing stress related health problems to her caregiver. She needs drugs and cognitive behavior therapy. She is well aware that there is a problem but refuses treatment.

We've tried hypnosis, we've spoken to medical professionals on her behalf, we even tried dressing up a doctor as a priest and seeing if she'd at least speak to him since she's very religious (she wouldn't). All medical professionals we've consulted with have advised against calling the cops and doing something forcibly because they don't believe she'll continue any treatment on her own after she's released and they think this will only cause more agitation.

I'm desperately looking for some other ideas. Has anyone ever dealt with such a severe case of medical phobia? How have you gotten past it? I feel like we've tried everything over the years but no one/ nothing has gotten through.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

chins01 HB User
Re: OCD /Depression / Anxiety mixed with severe Medical Phobia

Still hoping for some solutions...

I've been looking into alternative remedies that might at least ease the situation a little bit if nothing else. Has anyone tried homeopathic / natural / over the counter remedies for dealing with OCD, anxiety, panic attacks or depression?

So far the only thing I've come across that seems like something I could even try is St. John's Wart.

If you or someone you know has had any luck with alternative options please do let me know. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
(male)

santonbrig HB User

Hello 01
I suffered with agrophobia for about 10 years.I would not leave the house most of that time.All I can tell you is that im completely cured now!Find a copy of the book PEACE FROM NERVOUS SUFFERING It is written by CLAIRE WEEKES It will explain all I hope this helps you.I know how awful this illness is for both the sufferer and their carers.The sufferer needs a lot of love and understanding.Remember they did not choose this illness God bless and good luck

Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

chins01 HB User

Thank you - I will definitely check it out!
I'm glad to hear of your success story!

Closed Thread