It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

needlephobe HB User
Red face I can't get a tetanus shot! help!!

I am TERRIFIED of getting a tetanus shot. I know its a mind control thing, but if i could control it, i would have by now. I can't even look at vaccines without shaking, even if the vaccine is not for me. When i think it is for me, I shake to the point of almost jerking, which makes it even more scary because if they do inject me, then they may rip my skin or miss and have to try again. A lot of the time i will get very weak and I can't hold myself up anymore. I cry uncontrollably, and then i can't breathe. All of this happens within seconds of being in the room where they are supposed to give me the shot, seeing the nurse, or the actual vaccine. I get so dizzy and if that doesn't make me pass out, then I'm afraid i won't be able to control myself when the nurse gets close, but then i don't want them to strap me down either.

Usually they ask me if I'm ready, and i just can't make myself say yes...or anything for that matter. I don't want to say no, because i know it's childish and that i need it, but i cant say yes either. I'd like to tell them to do it before I get to that point, but they can't because I'll probability be hysterical even before they take me back to the room.

I'm also afraid of the side effects. People say you can get really weak or sore. I get weak already, i just wake up and i can't walk sometimes. I can't get tested for that though, because it involves taking blood with a needle. lol. So I'm afraid of my reaction.

In Alabama you are required by law to have a tetanus shot before you can register for school. Is there anyone who knows of something i can say that would allow for me to register without the shot? If there is a doctor (or anyone) who knows how to help, please tell me something, because I'm clueless.

They give me vallum (what's the word?) at the dentists so i can get the numbing thing, but they won't prescribe that for the tetanus. Also I think I'll pass out, they say they'll have to wait until i wake up and try it again, i just don't know what to do.

Last edited by needlephobe; 07-26-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: someone please! TETANUS SHOT PHOBIA!

Phobia of what? Any shot or this particular one? Either way, take a valium, have someone else drive you and look the other way....or just don't go wherever it is you are going that requires you to get the shot!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You could call the doctor's office (or have someone else do it) and explain that you are extremely phobic and need to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Also, bring headphones to distract you, try some meditation techniques. You'll get through it. Use anti-anxiety meds if you have to (with someone else bringing you there and home of course!)

Last edited by janewhite1; 07-27-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
(female)

needlephobe HB User

yeah, i usually use valium at the dentists, but they won't let me here. it stinks and i have to get the shot to register for school!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
(female)

needlephobe HB User

they won't let me use the anti-anxsiety meds, or at least they won't prescribe it. my dentist lets me use it when i have work done. the other stuff usually dosen't work because i have this thing about being aware of what's around me, i just can't seem to distract myself!
with anti anxsiety meds, i don't really have a choice.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

if its against your religion you dont have to have one

Old 12-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Whenever I've had a tetanus shot, it has made my arm swell up and hurt for over 2 weeks, so much so that I can't even put my arm down. I told my current doctor that I'm allergic to it and she hasn't made me get a booster. Last tetanus shot I had was in 1990 before going into sophomore year of high school. Whenever I'm asked what meds I'm allergic to, I always mention tetanus. So, I've avoided having to get any further booster shots.

I know how you feel about the needlephobia, though. I can handle getting a blood test at the doctor, as long as I'm lying down and looking away when they stick me. But I've had to get 5 surgeries in the last 3 years and whenever I've had to get an IV, I start crying like crazy and freak the heck out. The last surgery I had was to remove my gallbladder. The nurse gave me a valium and it really helped me chill out enough to get the IV, but I was still crying a little.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
(male)

NCGuy HB User
Re: I can't get a tetanus shot! help!!

If you relax your arm (which I realize is hard to do in your case) the shot really shouldn't hurt. A tense muscle will make it so much worse and it will hurt for some time. If you were really allergic to the vaccine, a medical exemption would be in order - but your doctor would have to sign and verify that. If you don't look at the nurse = have someone divert your attention away by talking to you or showing you something and/or wear your headphones and listen to your favorite music, you most likely wont even feel the needle and it will be over before you even know you had the shot. You'll more than likely get the new Tdap shot which will protect you against Tetanus, Diptheria and Pertussis (whooping cough)....and just think, it will be 10 years before you'll need another one.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
(female)

gtaffpro HB User
Re: I can't get a tetanus shot! help!!

lol ya so long as they do not cut themselves... if you cut yourself twice after having one you have to get another lol.. I know I had 3 tets this year alone hahaha

Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
(male)

coolman 3 HB User

I am the same way. I just got a T shot. I am also aware of my Of the shot. Just look and close your eyes. If you feel it go in calm down and relaxe. If you need to ask the nurse to do it fast and not slow down.

Closed Thread