It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
(female)

badfeet51 HB User
Bad feet 51 needs advice ,surg. soon and has "castrophobia"

What in the world as I going to do. I had my preop today and as most of you know this is going to be the third attempt at fusion of my left great toe. Plans are to go in and trim minimal amounts of bone off each end and put little tiny holes in to help stimulate bone growth. Also, this time using a larger and longer screw to be in permanently. Instead of the surgical shoe he will be casting in. He is also going to bo ahead and insert a bone stimulator at the time of surgery. I have started calcium and 1000 of Vitamin D already. My problem? I am severly claustrophobic. I had a cast on my arm once and had to have it bivalved and then wrapped in an ace bandage. Even though I did not take it off I knew if I were to panic I could. I have had a cast on my leg once before and had major panic attack and they also removed that. It was years ago. Part of the problem may be that my mother had a foot doc to do surgery on her foot and casted her foot too tight and she lost her foot. My cast will cover much of the toes so I am not so sure about how to tell if its too tight or it the circulation is ok, I am a nurse so I know how to do circulation checks in the nail beds but I think they are going to be covered mostly up. I am going to have to be relentless in keeping it elevated so I have absolutely no swellling at all. Can someone that has had it cast before tell me more about it. He said he would insert the bone stimulator during surgery. I know nothing about these either. If all that bandage that is usually on my foot preop is on there, won't the cast be huge? maybe I am just freaking out........any answers or ideas would be welcomed. Surgery aug 27. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Bad feet 51 needs advice ,surg. soon and has "castrophobia"

Not sure if yours will be like this, but my mom has a surgical splint for extensor hallucis tendon repair on her big toe. It's a regular "half-shell," plaster on the bottom only, wrapped in an ace bandage. It comes up to her calf (not the knee, just a few inches up the leg). Her toenails are exposed, and the big toe is in a little splint of its own inside the surgical splint.

I couldn't quite see how it was all put together, but her toenails were definitely visible.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
(female)

badfeet51 HB User

thank you jane for replying. I might can handle it if it is that way. I am not sure it will be though as he told me it would be a fiberglass cast. I don't think they can do a back only splint using fiber glass, however I am not sure about that. They do different things in orthopaedics every day. Thanks for giving me a little hope though. If you hear of anything else let me know. again, thanks.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hi bad, no wonder you are scared of the cast. my cast for toe fusion went up just under my knee. my toes were wrapped in a bandage, but the cast did not cover them.. i then had a big sock over my foot. you have to be able to tell how much bleeding there is by the incision. i wish you could talk yourself into saying-the cast will work and NO MORE SURGERY! you have no choice but to sit and elevate. i guess you put the ice under your knee. the cast will not be too tight. please try to stay positive. how long for the cast and when is the surgery?

Old 08-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
(female)

badfeet51 HB User

the surgery is aug 27th, right around the corner. I am thinking about a rollabout or rollaraid and put a thread on here asking which to use. I am going to try and work on some ways to distract myself when i start working myself into a panic and maybe this board will be the answer. I am also going to get my medical doctor to prescribe some type anti-anxiety anti-panic med if I need it. I have just had a problem with this before and I have to in the next 11 days learn some relaxation techniques. thanks for your response. I can always seem to count on you and jane to help me out.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
(female)

sandcastles HB User

Hello Badfeet,

I, too, suffer from extreme claustrophobia. Oddly, I was not concerned about the cast before surgery. However, after the surgery - realizing that I couldn’t just bounce up and walk - sent me into panic mode.

I felt a crashing in my chest - gasping for air and asking my husband to have someone remove the cast - I realized that I was suffering from "castrophobia".

I, (like Debbie suggested) - talked myself through it - intellectualizing (if you will) why I had to have the cast and that I COULD remove it if I had to.

When I spoke to my doctor about it, he said that my feelings were valid and that he understood. He prescribed Ativan 1 mg - when I had those “attacks” I would take ˝ of a tablet and I would feel very relaxed within 15 minutes.

It’s been 3 ˝ weeks and I no longer have those attacks (and I no longer take the medication) - but I do keep the foot elevated 22 hours of the day - the cast is not at all tight as long as you keep the foot elevated.

Best of luck to you,

Sandy

Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User

I totally know where you're coming from. I had triple athrodesis and a few other things fixed on my foot on June 12th and my doctor told me 3-4 months in a cast. I can't even stand to have socks on my foot and heres this doctor telling me I get to wear a cast for 3 or 4 months! But I will say, it hasn't been THAT bad.. the first couple of days were hard, til I got used to it and then each time they changed the cast, it took a few days to get used to the new one. I think an anti anxiety medication is a great idea as well, I take xanax and just having it available if needed has made a huge difference. Good luck with your surgery!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
(female)

mimi2945 HB User

Hi badfeet,
I had a quadruple arthrodesis August 4th and thankfully the pain has become tolerable. I have the rolleraid and plan to use it as soon as my scar stops being so sensitive. My doctor took the bone graft from my tibia and that area is still too sore to stand on...it's my right foot so my knee is the one I'll use to move around. The rolleraid is a very good one...mine has a little basket in front in case you want to carry something...what I don't know. I hope to start using it this week. I have my second cast and am getting used to it. My friends have signed it and have drawn flowers and hearts on it...so it's not so bad now. I am not looking forward to three months off my feet but I have no choice...this is a big surgery and the outcome will be good if I do what I'm told.
Hang in there and we're here for you....this site has been a Godsend for me...we all know what the other one feels...makes it so much easier to deal with.
God Bless.
Paula
s

Last edited by Mod9; 08-17-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Please do not post commercial websites for any reason, as per the posting rules

Closed Thread