It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

ymoore86 HB User
anyone suffer from agoraphobia with their PD?

its ruining my life.
i dont want to get a job, i dont want to do anything that involves leaving the house. ive had offers for cruises and to go to france with my brother but i turned them all down because i was too scared to be that far from home.
agoraphobia just seems to be controlling my life and its horrible.
have any of you with panic disorder also have agoraphobia? if so what helps you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Re: anyone suffer from agoraphobia with their PD?

I too have suffered Agrophobia with PA's. They say it is very common for people with panic and anxiety disorders to have that along with it. Reason being, you are too far away from your "safe spot". Thanks to Zoloft, I was able to take my kids to Disney World, and also have been on 2 cruises. I actually flew to get there too! Not to mention the fact that I've been to Washington D.C. for Rolling Thunder a few times, and have rode my own motorcycle to Maryland for Delmarva Bike Week. I suffered from the time I was about 15 years old, up until a few years ago when I decided to take control over it, instead if "it" controlling me. Are you currently taking anything for your PA's and Agrophobia? If not, maybe you should talk to your doctor about taking an AD or something that will help you.

Last edited by Foxxii; 04-10-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
(female)

ymoore86 HB User

i just turned 23 yesterday.
i was on paxil from 16 to 21.
stopped taking meds for a while (dumb i know)
then 22 i was put on 50mg zoloft.
i also take ativan.
i have a phobia of pills also so i have the lowest dose of ativan possible and i chop it up in 4 pieces. and take the little pieces throughout the day.
ive had my panic disorder since i was 16. my agoraphobia did get better around 19 i think but i dont know what i did to make it better.
wish i could remember so i could do it now.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
(female)

hlm928 HB User

Yes. For right now, Klonopin has helped me.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
(female)

Panicky Penny HB User

Ugh, I have been feeling that way lately. I go to work and out, but it's a real process to get me going out somewhere, especially out with friends. When I had vertigo two years ago I actually didn't leave my home for almost two months. Now I am planning my honeymoon for the summer and I am SO AFRAID that I will not make it because of my fears.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
(female)

PAUSA HB User

Oh my... yes I unfortuantely have this along with everything else that bothers me. I have more self caused malaties that an 85 year old!! I get so mad at myself because I'm the way that I am, but I feel like I can't do anything about it. I never used to have agoraphobia, but the past few months I've been getting it and it's freaking me out because I feel like I'm getting worse with my anxiety/panic/OCD instead of better. I have no idea what to try at this point.

Here's one for you. We were going to go on a six week trip to Europe this summer, Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Ireland, England and guess who backed out and isn't going now because I'm too afraid? Yep ME!!! Who in their right mind passes a trip like that up?! I've got to get control of this because I'm so over letting it control me.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
(female)

sammie 2 HB User

oh yes , i have had it for many years many years i did not go out finally one day i decided this was it ( and of course i needed a denisit) so from that day i took it one step at a time , when i would go to the store i had to know where the exits were so i could make a quick escape if needed.I do thank God that i had a very supportive husband who did all the shopping . and since i do not drive it was hard for me to even attempt to try to venture out on my own but i do not like meds so i have done this om my own with Gods help . i still have anxiety about going to places but as long as they are on the ground floor and i know the layout i am fine i still have a long way to go but i am getting there . i do not know how it happened but it started in my 40s i now think it was hormones, and all the dr could offer was valium which made me dopey so i did not take , and many years have passed but i feel better about my self , and yes we do have our safe place mine is the car when we go shopping and home , or my husband . but the only advice i could offer is do what you can at the time and do not feel bad about youself, and next a little farther, we are too hard on ourselves but always be proud of what you have accomplished, people do not understand this aggoraphobia but too bad we live it, so if we can only go to the end of the driveway that day good

Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
(female)

ymoore86 HB User

i try to venture out....and sometimes i do okay.
but no matter what i have that horrible fear.
this past weekend i went out of town with my mom.
she made me feel better with her being there but my mind was constantly going and had to calm myself down a couple times. im back from the weekend trip and i made it but im still scared!. i figured getting out was suppose to help it.
im getting into cbt classes soon so hopefully that will help.

Closed Thread