It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

wishinstar HB User
Angry dental phobia

hi i have a phobia of dental, i got an appointment with them end of the month, which i am dreading i recently had this soft lump on my front gum it doesnt hurt me only when pressed on, my husband said it could be cyst would he gave me just anti biotics to get rid of the fluid then get treatment, as i am scared of surgery and needles put to i dont mind the arm needle but no way near my mouth what will this lump be any ideas i have been using oram plus to try and get it sorted ive not had much toothache using this and its help a lot please help me need to stop worrying bout it i just dont want hospital surgery what else can i use will anit biotics work

Old 05-25-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
(female)

Spax99 HB User
Re: dental phobia

Lots of people share the same fear, so don't worry, you're not alone. And most dentists will respect that and have ways of dealing with it to keep you at your ease.

The important thing is that you know you need to go and see the dentist, and you've made the appointment - that's the hardest bit already over with, so you can already congratulate yourself on doing what you know needs to be done and not letting your fear get the better of you!

My advice would be to try not to think about it too much. Easier said than done I know, but thinking about what it might be and what the dentist might do is only going to make you feel more worried and isn't going to make a blind bit of difference to the outcome. Or if you need to imagine something, imagine yourself after the appointment, laughing because it wasn't a problem, and feeling proud of yourself. Why not think of something to treat yourself with afterwards? It doesn't have to be something big, it could be anything, just something to look forward to, a sort of prize - maybe going out for a meal, or a CD you've been wanting, or a day not working or doing housework, anything. And make sure you let the dentist know about your fear, if he/she doesn't know already. If you don't like the reaction you get, then for next time find another dentist!

I found that if you just keep going for regular checkups, it gets easier. The more often you leave the surgery without anything being wrong, the less you are afraid of going. Plus if you go regularly you are far less likely to end up with any major problems that do need surgery or whatever. It's not a guarantee, but it makes sense - if you don't want to have to deal with a major problem, try to stop one happening in the first place.

If you're using Oram Plus it sounds like you think you might have gum disease - early treatment is really important, hiding away from it is only going to make things far worse, and if the bacteria are way down in your gums then Oram Plus may not be able to get at the problem anyway. Antibiotics aren't always the answer, they're not a magic cure-all, it depends what the problem is.

Good luck with your appointment, I'm sure it will be fine and you'll be really proud of yourself. I hope you let everyone know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
(female)

momto5g HB User

Ok first things first.......

DO NOT READ MY TOPICS TILL AFTER YOU GO TO YOUR DENTIST.

Now that I got that otta the way, try the valium. For me 7.5mg did nothing but not sure how it would effect you. Next if those dont work diffenently ask for the blue pill if your getting worked on. Gas if your not getting worked on but still nervouse.

I was never scared of the dentist till I had a tooth pulled without pain meds or novacaine. It was awful.

I was still scared also but i had to do what needed to be done. I cried and shaked and just got threw it. My muscels hurt the next day from clammpin down so hard on the chair. Also my stomach from shaking so much.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
(female)

wishinstar HB User

ty ever so much bout my reply i think i got some ideas of you already just by reading them ty i need someone just to talk bout it and help me thr the same situation im in i cant believe there is loads out there like me who dont like them, i ask someone to comfort me during the pass progress for the first time then maybe i can go on my own next time that will be gud succed for me doing this and trying not to be nervous bout it rather sort it out as soon as i can then leaving it to get worse im only 33 but i want a gud smile after wards im looking for thks guys

Old 05-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
(female)

momto5g HB User

Well there is also the option if you have the money to just get all work done at once while they put you to sleep. That is how I would love to do it. Just remember to close you eyes and try not to think about what they are doing. If something hurts you let them know asap. Dont let them tell you your numb. They dont feel your mouth only you can.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

girlgato HB Usergirlgato HB User

I have a HUGE fear of dentists....so much so that as soon as they start putting those tools in my mouth....the gag reflex starts. How embarrasing!!! Don't know why this fear is so great, but would give anything to not be this way. Maybe I'll have to try the Valium to settle my nerves.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
(female)

Ariadne147 HB User

I take a clonapin before going and it helps a great deal. I usually feel as though I'll faint and sometimes even have a panic attack if the treatment takes too long.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
(female)

sophiesmommie HB User

A good solution I've used for gagging is to take a teaspoon of salt and mix with a several drops of water to make a wet paste. Take a q-tip and swab your hard palate gently. Swallow to distribute the paste to your soft palate. This works because the salt ties-up the receptors on those nerve endings so nothing else will stimulate them, like your dentist's mirror!

Also, have you tried listening to music in the chair or doing deep breathing exercises just after sitting in the dental chair? Ask your dentist to allow you have some control of your situation, like raising your hand when you need her to stop working. Also, understanding the procedure may help you feel more confident. The dental assistant can answer many of your questions.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by moderator2; 06-21-2009 at 06:01 AM. Reason: please read the posting rules

Closed Thread