HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Phobias (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/phobias/)
-   -   Anyone else have agoraphobia? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/phobias/694979-anyone-else-have-agoraphobia.html)

BrittCM 05-27-2009 03:12 PM

Anyone else have agoraphobia?

Hi. I'm 20 (almost 21) and I have Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia. It started literally the day after my high school graduation, and it's been worsening since. I didn't realize what was going on with me for a long time. I started college that fall, but I had to drop out. I started on meds the next spring and they were helping a bit, but not enough. So, I started counseling last November and I just started seeing a psychiatrist about 2 months ago. He gave me Xanax only for whenever I'm having a panic attack and he just started me on Zoloft a few weeks ago. I don't really feel like the Zoloft is working. I almost feel worse. I go back next week so he might change it.

My anxiety seems to be a bit different than everyone else's. I'm afraid to go far from home and when I go somewhere, I have to drive myself so that I'm able to leave whenever I need to. I can't ride with anyone else. I can't have anyone else ride with me. I can't go far distances. I can't work. I can't go to school. I can't hang out with my friends very often. The guys I date just don't understand what I'm going through. It's so hard to deal with and I'm doing everything I can to get over it, but it's not happening fast enough. Does anyone have anything similar? Any suggestions?? I'm desperate! LOL

sunshine123 05-30-2009 12:09 AM

Re: Anyone else have agoraphobia?

I'm also agoraphobic. It started after I got married even though I was happy. For several months, I couldn't leave the house either. If we were in a loud restaurant or store, I'd have to leave. I couldn't drive for a long time either. I saw a shrink for awhile and got better. I now take Lexapro and Xanax. I'm able to drive on surface streets, but have developed a fear of driving on the freeway. I haven't seen a shrink in a long time. It's possible that you haven't been on the Zoloft long enough for it to reach its full effect. Or, maybe you need to change meds. Lexapro hasn't given me any bad side effects except for drowsiness when I first started taking it. I hope you find the right med. and you start feeling better. Sue

hughmcrae 06-03-2009 11:33 PM

Britt. I can strongly relate to you. I am the same yet I have grown stronger since your age, I am now 39.

I started on Xanax 1mg first of all when required. In my early 20's, I was also having the occassional drink for social relief....Developed an alcohol problem due to same condition. I am now alcohol free but as the years went on my requirement for Xanax increased.

When a good doctor began me on constant dayly use of Xanax I found releif in my drinking and panick attacks, although it took a long time to kick alcohol.

PLEASE AVOID ALCOHOL, much healthier to be on Xanax starting at 1mg twice daily.

( [COLOR="Blue"]* email address removed by hb-mod, moderator * [/COLOR]) but I will skip to what I am doing now.

I have discovered a natural therapy, GABA [COLOR="Blue"]* Instructions regarding internet search removed by hb-mod, moderator * [/COLOR]. Taking this enhanced my calmness and effects of Xanax. GABA is required to cause calmness and your brain can't relax with any medication without it. Panick prome people are often deficient in it in their brain due to poor diet/alcohol/viruses.

I have run out of GABA and notice I feel like I felt before using it. Nervous. But in control, due to Xanax.

Now, I have withdrawn abruptly from Xanax and it is pure hell. Hospitalization for addicted people is required when it is abused. I did that and know better now.

Through research I have discovered long term users and users of Clonazepam are very happy and were weined off long term use of Xanax and were able to go back to occassional use during extreme anxiety/panick, persue a doctor or Psych. that will prescribe this, try it as a dayly use therapy as I see that you have a generalized (constant issue).

GOOD LUCK and good health.

Get a hold of GABA pure powder, don't be scared of the tingling effect in your skin that is a natural effect and is a trigger to you that you reach peak blood plasma level, which is better than not enough for use panick disorder people. [COLOR="Blue"]* link to commercial website removed by hb-mod, moderator * [/COLOR] It is quite cheap in America! But a little more expensive here in Australia.

BrittCM 06-08-2009 09:26 PM

Thank you so much you guys for your responses! They really helped!

hughmcrae 06-09-2009 03:23 AM

No problems Britt and anyone reading!

[COLOR="Red"]{REMOVED}[/COLOR]

Honestly it worked so well.

Also I must stress I have taken a drug holiday from Prozac over the weekend. To see my recovery with re-starting GABA.

I had a marked effect in calmness and control. Yet I regret stopping the Prozac as when I was on it I was more able to cope with stressful situations and as time went on the side effects dissipated.

I know this change in ablitiy to cope with stress reduces as I have a friend who had a procedure in hospital and he had a complication for a short while, I had a very minor stress attack yet almost but not an anxiety/panick attack.

Antidepressants have been helpful most of my life and I will give the prozac a good chance, no matter the side effects. I will give it the full month and reflect on how I am responding. As we all should, we all need a balance hey.

Scootmer 09-01-2009 10:22 AM

Wow, you described an aspect of my agoraphobia completely. Having to drive everywhere alone, so that I could leave by myself. Not letting anyone drive me, because I'd have to leave when they wanted to. Not giving anyone a ride, because I'd have to consider them when leaving. Those were my rules for ages. I think they're good rules. They put you in control of something you feel you don't have control over. I wonder how you're doing now?

BrittCM 09-09-2009 08:55 PM

Well I'm happy to report that my anxiety/agoraphobia is doing soooo much better now! I guess it was just a mix of therapy, the right medication, and the right attitude. Just in the past 2 or so months I've been doing so much better. I've had a couple big breakthroughs where I was able to go far distances and not be the driver, which is a HUGE deal for me. I'm finally feeling confident about getting better and it's such a good feeling! I mean, I'm still having some anxieties, but I feel like I have better control over it now. I don't let it bring me down anymore. After dealing with it for 2 years, I've finally learned how to cope with it better. How are you guys doing with your anxiety?

jeepgirl71 09-10-2009 05:21 AM

I have the whole "driving myself" thing too....it's a control issue, just in case I need to go. I [I]can[/I] go with others sometimes if I must.....but I don't feel good about it, that's for sure.

My agoraphobia is mild, I would say, relative to others. I don't like flying....but not for the usual reason people don't like it....it's that it's a tiny little self-contained vessel and I can't go anywhere if I need to! I'll fly....but I'm anxious always before I do. Speaking to crowds makes me nervous because I can't escape if I need to....but you'd never know it! I get anxious but somehow I always get through it! And have had comments from many that I must do it professionally as I somehow appear very comfortable doing it. Don't ask me how!

livewire72 09-12-2009 06:29 PM

hi
i've had anxiety and panic attacks since i was little, but only struggled with agoraphobia for the first time a few years ago. i too never want to venture far from my home and am always panicked about having a panic attack in public, while driving, or when i'm out alone with my son. it's so terrifying to feel that out of control. i try to talk myself down and tell myself that there's physically nothing wrong and it will pass....sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. when i was younger my breathing was affected...now i have heart racing and EXTREME dizziness to the point where i can't see. it's scary and awful.
i feel ok only when i am with my husband who is my "safe person". when he's out with me i feel so free and normal....but of course he works all day and can't be with me all the time. i also have ocd which prevents me from taking medicine. if <YOU>can take meds ask your doc to switch <YOU> to a new one. hope <YOU> feel better soon.