It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
(female)

chongo HB User
Social Phobia

I was really unsure where to put this thread so i apologise now if its not meant to be here....

Im a girl of 17 and all my life ive been nervous around people. Im ok around my friends but when meeting new people i get all panicy nervous. Usually im really bubbly and fun to be around but as soon as i meet new people i panic and im the shyest person around.

When meeting my boyfriends family and friends i paniced before hand and i had to sit in the car to calm down. Even walking into a huge hall at college or a highly crowded area i panic. I feel like everyone is staring at me and judging me. I do have a problem with my looks. My boyfriend, friends and random people do say that im really pretty (bog standard blonde 5ft7 brown eyes n that) Now reading that it sounds that i should be ok with my looks but i really dont see what others do? Anyway, i think this is affecting my social life. I hate being looked at, and i hate being centre of attention or just being looked at.
Errm is there anything i can do to help my nerves or get over this. =[

Thanks for reading.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User
Re: Social Phobia

Hi
The only thing I can say is that you shouldnt bother about what other people think. So next time you see someone who you are shy around, just think as though they dont exist or they are another member of the public you are not likely to see again.

Another alternative is to think that the other person you are facing feels exactly the same. A lot of people are nervous around new people so its unlikely that you are facing something unique.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
(female)

chongo HB User

Thanks for your advise but its really hard to think that when your panicing about people looking at you.. =[.

Thanks for your concern though, i will give it a try =]

Old 07-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User

So keep me informed on how the ideas work out for you!
Thanks

Old 08-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
(male)

notafan HB User

You remind me a lot of myself. I'm 26 and have been through countless battles! I eventually needed medication, but not everyone has to go down that route. You are still growing too. My anxiety was the worst when I was in 9th grade.. or early high school years. Sometimes it gets better as time goes by as well.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

When I read this thread my heart just ached. My anxiety started in 6th and 7th grade. When my period started it started. I was a nervous wreak. My High school years were ruined by my Social Phobia. I would fake being sick if I had to get up to give a report in front of the class. Back then there were no books and no one talked about it. They just thought you were Odd. One teacher said I "would never amount to anything". He had no idea how I was suffering inside. It improved immensely by 35.

I was really shy and had poor self esteem. No one would believe that now. But it was the truth. I missed out on a lot due to my problems.

It got better as I got older..... I am in my 50's now. I am sucessful and much more confident. My anxiety rarely rears it's ugly head now. I am so glad none of my children suffered from it. I have one brother who also had an anxiety problem.

I do believe Zoloft or something like it could have helped. There are some great Anxiety workbooks available also.

Good luck to you. You do not have to suffer. See a good Counselor who knows about Anxiety, Social Phobia and agoraphobia.

Sincerely, Oleander

Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
(female)

chongo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
When I read this thread my heart just ached. My anxiety started in 6th and 7th grade. When my period started it started. I was a nervous wreak. My High school years were ruined by my Social Phobia. I would fake being sick if I had to get up to give a report in front of the class. Back then there were no books and no one talked about it. They just thought you were Odd. One teacher said I "would never amount to anything". He had no idea how I was suffering inside. It improved immensely by 35.

I was really shy and had poor self esteem. No one would believe that now. But it was the truth. I missed out on a lot due to my problems.

It got better as I got older..... I am in my 50's now. I am sucessful and much more confident. My anxiety rarely rears it's ugly head now. I am so glad none of my children suffered from it. I have one brother who also had an anxiety problem.

I do believe Zoloft or something like it could have helped. There are some great Anxiety workbooks available also.

Good luck to you. You do not have to suffer. See a good Counselor who knows about Anxiety, Social Phobia and agoraphobia.

Sincerely, Oleander
Thank You So Much.... I generally believe it is ruining my life. i hardly have any friends because of this. But i will take your advise and see a counsellor.

=]

Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 AM   #8
(female)

chongo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notafan View Post
You remind me a lot of myself. I'm 26 and have been through countless battles! I eventually needed medication, but not everyone has to go down that route. You are still growing too. My anxiety was the worst when I was in 9th grade.. or early high school years. Sometimes it gets better as time goes by as well.
Thanks for replying =]

I am going to see a counsellor about my problem... Thanks for sharing your story too, now i know its not just me.. =]

Old 08-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
(female)

Lysander HB User

Hey, there. I'm 27 and was officially diagnosed with social phobia just a couple months ago. An anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medication changed my life overnight. I went from irrational, paranoid thoughts and physical symptoms of anxiety to hardly caring what people thought about me. If you have social phobia then only you can know what that kind of relief is like. Of course, I had been to counseling, practicing CBT and battling my demons every day of my life until then, doing everything I could to improve my self-esteem, so you can't dismiss the power of that. It turns out that some chemicals in my brain needed to be readjusted to finish off what I couldn't though.

It does get better, if you work on it. High school is really, really bad if you have social phobia. I feel for you. Go to counseling, it can truly help, and try CBT.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
(female)

chongo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
Hey, there. I'm 27 and was officially diagnosed with social phobia just a couple months ago. An anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medication changed my life overnight. I went from irrational, paranoid thoughts and physical symptoms of anxiety to hardly caring what people thought about me. If you have social phobia then only you can know what that kind of relief is like. Of course, I had been to counseling, practicing CBT and battling my demons every day of my life until then, doing everything I could to improve my self-esteem, so you can't dismiss the power of that. It turns out that some chemicals in my brain needed to be readjusted to finish off what I couldn't though.

It does get better, if you work on it. High school is really, really bad if you have social phobia. I feel for you. Go to counseling, it can truly help, and try CBT.
Thanks you so much =]

I am definetley going to go to counselling. Im struggling big time and i think i need to act on it now.

Thanks again =]

Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander View Post

Hi there, I just came across your post and I'm curious because of your success: what medications did you take? Thanks in advance.

Closed Thread