It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

clemkt HB User
Emetophobia.. :(

I have really bad emetophobia, but i also have IBS, which comes on suddenly, and always makes me feel sick. Its gotten to the point where i'm scared of leaving the house, not even to go down the road to the shop, in case I'm sick on the way.
I wont go out with my friends, because i get embarrassed if people see me having a panic attack, and i get them the moment I start to feel sick.
Im a teenager and i want to be having fun, but im stuck at home, and the worst thing is, my older brother has migraines on a really regular basis, and hes sick most of the times he has them. Therefore, i wont go near him, in his room, in the bathroom, ANYWHERE he was when he has his migraine, just in case the vomiting was unrealated and was actually contageous.
Its taking over my life now, is there anything anyone can suggest to help? I REALLY dont want to have to see a shrink or anything, i had to go to one a while ago, and they just judged me.

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-31-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules as to why part of your post was edited. Ms_Mod

Old 08-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
(female)

smurfy33 HB User
Re: Emetophobia.. :(

clemkt - I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with this problem. My daughter, who is 10 years old, has had emetophobia since she was 6. I took her to a therapist for a while but the therapist spent more time talking to me about MY anxiety than helping my daughter. However, the therapist did teach my daughter to "boss back" her fear. So when she is trying to eat her lunch in the school cafeteria, she is supposed to yell at her fear in her head and tell it to go away, let her alone, get away stupid fear, etc...At first you won't believe it, but after doing it for a while, the therapist said that your mind will actually start to believe it and you will be able to overcome the fear. You can try this therapy...maybe it will help you. This has not worked for my daughter, though, because I think she is still too young to completely undersand.

She struggles with this on a daily basis. She has not been out to eat in a restaurant for probably a year. She starts middle school next week and she is already worried about it. She also misses out on going away with friends at times. I am her safe person so when I'm not around, she feels lost.

Anxiety disorders are so unfair, especially when children/teens have to deal with them. They can rob you of your childhood/teen years by filling you with constant fear.

I hope you have someone to talk to...someone in your family or a close friend that won't judge you. I have to admit, sometimes I get upset with my daughter when we are trying to go away as a family and she starts freaking out over something that probably is not going to happen, but I know she is not doing it on purpose.

I know you don't want to see a counselor but honestly, sometimes it takes a while to find one that you are truly comfortable with. They really can help you to get control of this.

I wish I had more advice for you...but please just know that you are not alone. There are many, many people with this and it is possible to overcome it.

Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
(female)

tulum HB Usertulum HB User

Do you believe the nausea is real or imagined?

Also, are you lactose intolerant? If so, you could eliminate dairy products for two weeks and see if any of your IBS or other issues improve.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
(female)

Sick HB User

I know exactly how you feel. I have had this problem since I was a young child and it still controls my life. I am currently on Zoloft and Xanax and it helps, but I still have problems concentrating at work and even going to work. I can't enjoy my life because I am constantly worrying about throwing up. It is nice to talk to someone who understands.

Closed Thread