It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

floorencee HB User
Unhappy Emetophobia? im scared of throwing up

I'm only 14 and for a while now ive had a fear of throwing up. i dont have issues with seeing it on films so im not sure i have a strong case of emetophobia, but i HATE seeing other people near me throw up. it makes me feel sick myself. worst of all, i feel faint and like i would prefere to die when i think im going to be sick.
whenever i think im about to be sick, i start shaking alot and get increasingly scared. not that im going to die, but about all the disgusting things coming out, the taste. its horrible, i try and swallow it back down. one time, i gagged a few times, then fainted because i was so petrified. the last time i was sick was 6 years ago and i was asleep. my mum thinks this is why im scared (because i cant remember what its like). i really badly want to cure this but every site i turn to tries to make me pay. i just dont want to be scared of throwing up anymore.
PLEASE HELP, i dont want to live the rest of my teen years not being able to drink at parties due to this annoying fear.
Please help me x

Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Emetophobia? im scared of throwing up

Don't feel too bad. I have the same phobia, still do and I'm 35. Listen, mine is so bad that I read parental reviews of movies to find out if there is any throwing up scenes and if so, I don't watch the movie. Extreme? Maybe, but I feel the same feelings you do when I see it whether its real and happening in front of me or if its fake and on tv or movies.

You can still have fun at parties. Just don't drink until you get sick. And if you're around people who are drinking that much then go to another room.

Whenever I get nauseated I panic thinking I'll be sick. So I will always do everything I can to prevent that from happening. Last time I puked was from the pain of a kidney stone a couple of years ago. Before that was about 6 years before that cause I got sick from some robitussin. Yes I feel nauseated often but I never let myself puke because I can't stand it.

You're not alone, trust me! There are a ton of people out there with the same phobia. Just do your best to stay away from people doing it and you'll be ok. Hey, I've survived airline flights with people puking on the seat behind me and in the row next to mine. I didn't die from it although it was totally gross and very traumatic. But as you can see I lived to tell about it so I know you'll be just fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
(female)

floorencee HB User

thankyou! i hope your phobia gets better! im glad im not the only one though, its such a scary thing at the time my mum said that i will get over it if im sick, but thats silly because im scared of being sick anyway so.. :P lol. but im very grateful for your reply and advice thanks!!!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
(female)

Sick HB User

Hello,

I am so glad to find someone to talk to about this problem. I had an episode this morning. I woke up around 2:00 am and I just didn't feel good. I was so afraid that I was going to throw up that I had a panic attack and started shaking all over. When I have a stomach virus it takes me forever to get over it because I am scared to try to eat anything. I am constantly worrying about being sick and I can't stand to be around anyone that is sick (even my family). My kids are grown now, but when they were little my husband would have to take care of them if they were throwing up because I just couldn't be around them. I felt like an awful mother. Now if my husband is sick I will go in my room and shut the door to where I don't have to be anywere around him.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
(female)

Sick HB User

Just wanted to see how everyone is doing today? My mornings always start off bad and I don't know why. I guess I am so afraid that I will wake up feeling sick. I really can't explain it. I am so happy to find this website. I have such a problem just making it through each day. I constantly worry about either me throwing up or being around someone who is throwing up. I keep thinking one day I will be able to get over this phobia, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
(female)

floorencee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick View Post
Hello,

I am so glad to find someone to talk to about this problem. I had an episode this morning. I woke up around 2:00 am and I just didn't feel good. I was so afraid that I was going to throw up that I had a panic attack and started shaking all over. When I have a stomach virus it takes me forever to get over it because I am scared to try to eat anything. I am constantly worrying about being sick and I can't stand to be around anyone that is sick (even my family). My kids are grown now, but when they were little my husband would have to take care of them if they were throwing up because I just couldn't be around them. I felt like an awful mother. Now if my husband is sick I will go in my room and shut the door to where I don't have to be anywere around him.
That sounds upsetting, and I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm glad that we can all talk to each other about this. Don't feel bad, after all, your husband and kids will understand. And I hate the shaky panic attack feeling! It just really annoys me that it's all mental. If you know what I mean... I wanted hypnotherapy but it's too expensive. my motto is to ignore my mind and smile 1. because smiling prevents the gagging reflex
and 2. because i know it's just in my head and i can't let my mental state take over my physical self.

i wish you luck and hope you get over your phobia!
i hope this isn't too personal, but did you have morning sickness when you were pregnant? because i heard that is supposed to cure emetophobia?

much luck x

Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
(female)

Sick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorencee View Post
That sounds upsetting, and I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm glad that we can all talk to each other about this. Don't feel bad, after all, your husband and kids will understand. And I hate the shaky panic attack feeling! It just really annoys me that it's all mental. If you know what I mean... I wanted hypnotherapy but it's too expensive. my motto is to ignore my mind and smile 1. because smiling prevents the gagging reflex
and 2. because i know it's just in my head and i can't let my mental state take over my physical self.

i wish you luck and hope you get over your phobia!
i hope this isn't too personal, but did you have morning sickness when you were pregnant? because i heard that is supposed to cure emetophobia?

much luck x

Yes, I did have morning sickness and it did not cure me. I think it didn't bother me as bad then as it does now.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
(female)

kmack13 HB User

i Have the same problem as everyone else on here! idk what to do everytime i feel sick i will pinch or scratch my cheaks!!! i think i need help is there a cure for this??????????:confused:

Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #9
(female)

813roxy HB User813roxy HB User

Glad to see I'm not the only one!

Closed Thread