It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

TerriD HB User
Anxiety and/or phobia

I get panic attacks whenever I go to the dr. or dentist, hence I usually avoid them as much as I can.

No matter what I do, when I go to an appt. my heart starts to race and pound in my chest. I can hide what I'm feeling from the outside and to someone nearby, they would have no idea of the turmoil that is going on, on the inside.

I have an appt. tomorrow and am dreading the experience.
I have never mentioned it to the dr. My blood pressure reaches stroke level when I go, but I have a monitor at home that indicates it is fine.

Do any of you experience this sort of thing? I don't know why this happens. Years ago stuff like this didn't phase me, but now it seems to be beyond my control.

It's very unpleasant and scary to say the least.

Terri

Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
(female)

ritualangst HB User
Re: Anxiety and/or phobia

someone else just posted with this same problem and i believe it is very common- have you tried any different approaches to the appointments? maybe taking 10 minutes in the car to slow your breathing or do some meditation or to actually face the fear of the doctor? all of these worries are so overwhelming and suggestions are so easy but putting them into practice seem so incredibly difficult- i would speak to the doctor you are seeing about this problem and see if they have anything to offer to help you- sorry you are suffering and hope you find some answers soon-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread