It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

housemum HB User
Unhappy Strangest phobia ever...

I have a phobia about my bowels. Its embarrassing and I've had this about 18 years now. I have NEVER known anyone else to talk about this. I've heard it called "shy bowel" syndrome. I can't poo or pee in public places and sometimes even at home without horrible anxiety.

It is not a physical problem, but mental. I've gotten some therapy with it, but it didn't work. Anti-depressants worked in the past, but now the problem has seemed to return.

It effects my life as one must perform these bodily functions daily. I make due, but I feel so alone in this. Even my therapist laughed abit and thought my phobia strange. That made me feel worse and she tried to "re-train" me as a child.

I'm just wondering how common this phobia is and if there is anyone here on these boards that have it and how they deal with it.

Probably not, but I'm asking anyway.

Old 10-22-2003, 05:02 AM   #2

Freerida HB User
Try and confront your phobia head on. If your up to it, go to a doctor or therapista and ask to learn more about them, that is the only way of over coming your fear, is to face it. I used to be scared stiff of tight spaces, so, i went and stood in a closet for 2 days. I used to be scared of snakes, so i went to a guy and asked to yold his snake and i over came that fear too, yes you phobia may be weird, but you should not be ashamed, but you should want to over come it!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2003, 01:46 PM   #3

thoyts HB User
hey,
it is a little funny. What about Finch in american pie. he had that trouble.....
seriously though, I find it hard to poo away from home. peeing's okay though. In fact my 2 year old NEVER poos except at home, which makes me think that its probably quite common. It's a pretty "prone" position squatting. It's probably instinct. I expect that your phobia is not quite as unusual as you think.

Old 10-22-2003, 03:32 PM   #4
Ali~Cat

Please don't be embarrassed or think this phobia is strange in any way. You have to admit, it is a little humorous. But, I have the same fear!! I am SLOWLY getting over it. I used to hold it and hold it and hold it. I once went 4 days at a camp in high school. When I was in college and working part time it wasn't an issue, I was never in one place for an extended amount of time so it was easy to run back to my dorm or apartment. Now that I work full time though, I am realizing I HAVE to get over this fear or I will make myself sick!!

It hasn't been easy, when I can't hold it I say I am sick and go home.... but less and less frequently. It helped to get a close buddy at work to share my fear with and guess what... she is the same way! So, we found the least used stall in the least used bathroom and when we have to go we let the other know. That helps me in feeling like I am not doing something bad, it's natrural, and to have someone to laugh about it with me helps.

Anyway, good luck... your fear is very valid, but try to look at the funny side!!

Old 10-22-2003, 11:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
I have the same phobia (except the peeing in public places). I heard somewhere that there is actually a name for this & it's more common than we realize, just no one wants to admit to it.
Both of my grown sons are the same way, were in school & now at work. You are not alone.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:35 AM   #6
(female)

housemum HB User
I'm wondering then how people deal with the anxiety of it. It casues quite a bit of anxiety in my life when I'm not on the meds.

I could just "continue the meds", but decided to do some research on this. I'm going on a goggle search soon and will try to find the name for this condition.

Maybe it is more common then I realized. Would have been nice to know that 20 years ago when I really thought I was a "freak of nature". My hubby can go anytime, anyplace.....don't know what that would be like really

If I find anything interesting out about this I'll post it.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:03 PM   #7
(female)

T-bone-Mama HB User
I'm the same way, I do not like to poop in public places and have held it for several days while on a trip. But it's not something I give much thought to, maybe because I am almost always able to go at home. But I have another issue that is causing me a lot of misery, and wondered if my "solution" may also help you. I was recently diagnosed with depression, first time, and have a lot of anxiety that goes along with it. I have been a professional musician for 25 years, and it affects my performance to a huge degree - to the point where I have been ashamed and embarrassed in front of my peers. Several times recently I have botched up a performance because of a near state of panic, my reaction was to pretend nothing had happened and flee as soon as possible. It happened the other night during a brass quartet concert, I ran to the car and cried for 20 minutes. But the next day I decided to talk about it with 2 of the other members, who I also consider good friends. (I found this very difficult) They were amazingly supportive, and I found that I felt MUCH better afterwards! Since then I have had 3 more performances that I had been nervous about "freezing up" on, but they went fine, I almost felt normal again. My point is that maybe if you bring up the topic with a few close friends, even if it is in a casual or joking way, you may be able to overcome your phobia. Chances are they will have the same fears themselves!

[This message has been edited by T-bone-Mama (edited 10-26-2003).]

Old 11-02-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
(female)

Oblio HB User
i dont think it's strange. i'm kinda the same way, i dont like to do my business in public restrooms if there's anyone else in there too. i'll often wait until they leave, or until they flush, wash their hands, or run the hand-dryer b/c i hate for people to hear me. i've found that i'm actually worse about it when i'm over at a friends house. i HAVE to turn on the water there b/c i hate that they can hear me. usually, i'll hold it unless i absolutely have to go. and do not think it's strange. yeah maybe funny, but i'm the same way, and i know at least 7 or 8 people that are the same way. so its definitely not unusual

Old 11-05-2003, 06:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Smile

I am the same way, I cannot poop or pee in public places unless I am fully alone. I think it's the sounds! LOL. I just can't have anyone hear me. I also wait until they flush or until the dryer goes on. Looks like youre definitely not alone!
Kristina

Last edited by *music23*; 11-05-2003 at 06:22 PM.

Closed Thread