It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2002, 08:30 AM   #1

Dragoness HB User
Cool POSITIVE ACTION AGAINST PANIC/AGROPHOBIA

Ok, before I start this post I want to make a few things clear: I am NOT a happy-dancing “everything’s gonna be just super” kind of person. I was NOT one of the ‘popular group’ at school im just a generally average kinda person, If you read my last post you will know that I am a 16 year old suffering with agrophobia.

Im pretty insecure and although I’ve spent most of the time hating myself over this I have decided that is IS going to get better.

So Im starting this new thread as encouragement, if you suffer agrophobia or any type of panic-attacks this post is for you all to write out the positive things you do, no matter how big or small.

As well as achievements, post on what you plan to do- targets you are setting yourself, no matter how small. So we can encourage and support each other.

Another thing I would be grateful for is personal tips that you might use to help you through, this way other people can try them out and see if it works for them. I’ve started off with my own tips below.

On a personal note I am determined to get over this . I know I can and by supporting each other I think it will be easier.

Don’t post ANYTHING negative, unless at the top of your post you’re writing a short description of your problem. The main thing is to just post all the positive things.

I don’t think im a miracle worker but im sure that, step at a time, we CAN get over this. There’s no harm in trying.

~Draggy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2002, 08:35 AM   #2

Dragoness HB User
Draggy’s tips n tricks!

* Carry a bag with you =^_^=

* Take with you your mobile phone and make sure ur best friend’s (or someone close) ‘s number is stored in there, this way you have the security of knowing that IF something should happen someone is always gona be ‘right there’ Also texing usually helps me take my mind off stuff.

* Take a bottle of water (cold water is best) I ALWAYS do this, you’ll be surprised when you get panicky how much a sip of water will calm you down.

* Take some sweets/mints with you. When you get anxious or nervous your mouth dries out, I always carry tic-tacs, popping one in your mouth stops it going dry

*If you get anxious shopping (like me) when you go buy something like a bracelet or something to wear. Then when you next go to this place wear the item as a reminder that you have been there before so you can do it again J

* Music, recently I invested in a walkman, listen to music when you are out, concentrate on the words, the tune, make a tape of your favourite songs, this will take your mind off things

* Lyrics, sing a song in your head, try to remember all the words! This really works for me.

* Try to stay positive. This is my BIG downfall. If you panic when you go out say ‘at least I tried’ rather than knocking yourself back. Its better to try and fail because avoiding going out is so easy. Trying is the best step.

* Remember you are who you are. At the end of the day we are the only ones who can help ourselves. Don’t envy others as long as you do the best that YOU can do, that’s what matters.

* Finally Post on this thread, even if the achievements seam tiny it doesn’t matter. I’ve found that the people on here are the most understanding I’ve come across, so post and make reachable targets for yourself, post them so we can help each other J

Old 09-12-2002, 12:10 PM   #3

blacktango HB User
Keep a diary. Writing everything down takes a load off your mind, but you have to keep it up daily. Force yourself to. Then later on you can look back and read it, and see how much you'ved changed and moved on. I've often written stuff down, and forgotten about it, then found it months later, read it, and smiled. It's a good way to see how things are going, in the day to day routine we often don't see the small changes. A diary will remember them for us.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
good idea http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif very mature thought for someone so young i wish you all the best for your future good luck to you all http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 09-13-2002, 02:20 AM   #5

Dragoness HB User
Cool

Good idea! Im gona start a diary now i think that sounds like it'll help me.
Right my target is
* to get my head into gear this weekend and make myself go into colage next week. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/grad.gif

Wish me luck!

btw thanks niecsey that means a lot ta me

Old 09-13-2002, 03:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
your very welcome http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 09-13-2002, 10:49 PM   #7
Veteran

bev52 HB User
Hey Draggy,
Your tips are quite insightful. I have done some of the things you listed and you are right...it does work.

Take Care and keep up the good work,
Bev

Old 09-13-2002, 10:54 PM   #8
Veteran

bev52 HB User
Hello Black Tango,
I also keep a diary...of sorts. The things I write that are negative...I never re-read them again, I tear them out and throw them away. (Someone else said they burn them and take the ashes outside and blow them away). Somehow this leaves me feeling that I 'did away' with those things, and they're no longer a part of my life.
It is a proven fact that writing is very therapeutical, so nice to see that you're on the right track.

Best Wishes,
Bev

Old 09-14-2002, 08:01 AM   #9

blacktango HB User
Writing comes pretty natural to me, i do it most of the time without thinking (working on a book at the mo), ive kept a diary for as long as i can remember, it really does help me

Ive written down negative stuff and burnt it too, its a very good cathartic feeling, almost like burning away your past. Just be careful which way the winds blowing when you set fire to paper

Old 09-14-2002, 11:58 AM   #10
Veteran

bev52 HB User
Oh, thank you!LOL You made me laugh. I can just see my hair catching on fire.....slapping myself on the head...yanking my top off and wrapping it around my head. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif
You may find I have a strange sense of humor and a vivid imagination http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Thanks and hugs to ya,
Bev

Closed Thread