It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2003, 09:39 PM   #1
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Unhappy Agoraphobia prob

Hi all,

I have a MAJOR prob! I need to go back home,but Iam sooo Agoraphobic I cant figure a way to get in a vehicle and go.

Please dont misunderstand what Im about to say,but the only way I feel I can cope to do so is by taking more Xanax and Atarax and falling asleep before the person taking me home can drive out of the yard.

Ive NEVER abused any Meds Ive been on,its just Im having a rough go with Agoraphobia at the moment.I went to the doctor in January and he screwed me around with Meds..

Anyone have any suggestions??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
Inactive

Toree HB User
Many years ago I was in your position. That was when I was still driving and at the point of hardly being able to get to work for the anxiety/agoraphobia. Once at work, I would be worrying ALL day long as to how was I going to get back home. I lived maybe only 15 minutes from work.

In those days, early 1980's, there wasn't much in the way of meds or even medical understanding/counselling.
I do understand about taking the extra Xanax to get into a 'state of mind and body' whereby you can even get into a car. There was a time when I had to lay in the back seat with my eyes shut and the music blaring on the radio to block the thought I was in a car. I had Valium at the time and would take enough to make me 'very' relaxed.

If you cannot cope with driving, I certainly wouldn't be thinking about a long trip driving. Consider another doctor, consider any resource in a positive direction to get you living with this. I say this because, I am fairly convinced that without meds, no one ever gets completely over agoraphobia. It's always in the back of your mind, like waiting for that other shoe to drop.

Speaking from a long term sufferer, I wish the options had been available to me that are to you because I gave up driving 13 years ago. It became just too much of a daily struggle and I could find no help. Agoraphobia can take over your life if you don't get on it...the learned behavior becomes so ingrained in your brain that it becomes impossible to improve.

I don't want to scare you in any way. Just want you to realize how cunning and manipulative this disorder can be and ultimately devastating in a very permanent way....please keep looking for options and my very best to you.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread