It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Post I dont understand why I have Agoraphobia..unless

It has to do with my Mother accidentally running the car up against my leg when I was 4 or being in a wreck when that tree ran out in front of me or my Dad making me feel like the World and everyone in the World was/is dangerous...

After I had the wreck I wasnt afraid to drive,but would get tense riding with someone else.I was always afraid they were driving to close to the yellow or white lines.

I cant remember a time that I paid close attention to my body sweating,heart beating,breathing,being Dizzy or any of the other symptoms of Anxiety/Panic.

Im trying to make sense of this!

Old 06-13-2003, 03:05 AM   #2

ojohnr HB User
for many reasons, i only felt confortable in my bedroom and never liked leavng it. home, work, back to my room, that was my daily routine.

my psychiatrist and i figured out i was starting to suffer from Agoraphobia and needed to do something about it NOW. so now, i go out and offen as i can with friends and my new girlfriend. sure, i still get panic attacks and i suffer from social anxiety, but it's one step at a time and better then beeing locked up in my bedroom!

you need to fight it, seek psychiatric help, it's the only advise i can give you since it worked for me.

good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2003, 05:22 AM   #3

deb30 HB User
Jasmine , my parents were very protective of me growing up and I was very shelter from the "real" world and maybe that's why I have such bad panic attacks and always want to just stay home in my own safe environment! My sister and I have had long discussions on how our parents had such an impact on how we were brought up in such a sheltered like (she suffers from panic disorder also). My therapist is helping alot to understand why I feel the way I do! Good luck

Old 06-13-2003, 09:08 AM   #4
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi Deb,

Goodmorning I truly and honestly believe that is one reason I have Panic Disorder/Agoraphobia.My birth Mother had Anxiety(unsure how severe)and will never know as she died when I was a baby.All I know is,she took Valium 4 times a day 12 days before I was born.Dad said he never knew of her having probs driving or going places cos she kept the road hott!! I did until this miserable booger showed its head!

My Dad and Grandma(dad esp)always made me feel I was sick,going to be or get sick,or on the verge of death.I dont know why they did this to me,but it realllllly affected me.Dont go out in the rain,you'll catch cold,you better get that mole checked its getting bigger and darker its Cancer,you better lose weight or your gonna die.Those sort of things.

I sit and rack my brain of people in my family,but cant think of anyone that has had a severe Anxiety disorder.That is what stumps me so is I dont know anyone that has Agoraphobia.

Have a great day!
Jasmine

Old 06-13-2003, 09:52 AM   #5

deb30 HB User
Hi Jasmine Are you also afraid of storms and lightening (if you go outside when it's storming you could get struck with lightning) and don't leave ours sides at any store, fair, or whatever someone might kidnap you? Oh and my dad was a diabetic--if you eat surgar you'll get it! UGHHHHH!!!! This is why my sister and I feel we suffer panic attacks! My sister lives outside of London and after my mom and aunt were there to visit, my sister couldn't leave the house for 2 weeks her panic attacks were so bad she wouldn't ride the train to work or go anywhere except to the drs. She read that book Hope & Help for your Nerves by Claire Weekes and she was able to go on but I chose therapy and paxil! (Subconciously I was convinced as a child that everything was in my head that I felt was wrong when I was sick so I could probably take a placebo and feel alittle better)!! I had to pee all the time when I was little and my mom took me to ONE dr who told her it was in my head, at 20 I had to have my ureter reimplanted to a different part of my bladder becuz it was never working right and cuz severe kidney damage from being ignored as I child!! Okay I'm venting on you too much now-but like you I had similar upbringing and yes I do feel they contributed to that! Now that I am 30 not married, just in endless bad relationships, and still live at home with my mom I feel so alone and empty! Therapy has helped some but geez I would've never thought I would go through this in my lifetime!! Sorry to ramble on but it's nice to talk to things with someone besides my sister! Hope to talk to ya soon! Have a good day!

Old 06-13-2003, 11:11 AM   #6

deb30 HB User
Hi Jasmine I'll be emailing ya!! Glad I found ya on the board!! Like I said before it's nice to have someone besides my sister and therapist to talk to! I think my parents influence may be the reason I've had such bad relationships (I'm not blaming them) but making me feel so insecure has lead me not to trust too many people especially men whom I have trouble letting myself get too close to!I'll be talking to ya soon!! Have a good one!!

Old 06-13-2003, 11:38 AM   #7
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi Deb,

Looking forward to hearing from ya! Are you sure Im not your long lost sister or my long lost sister??? Seems like we've both had the same bad experiences with parents...

Old 06-13-2003, 12:19 PM   #8

deb30 HB User
That's what I was wondering-I'm still convinced that I was adopted although my mother insists that I'm not--I don't look like anyone in my family! I'll be emailing ya soon!!

Closed Thread