It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

daintysun HB User
claustrophobia

Is there ANY cure for this? I am sick and tired of becoming terrified of small places and cannot fly now....Please give me any kind of help

Old 05-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
(male)

garrett24 HB User
Re: claustrophobia

There absolutely is a cure for claustrophobia and I'm living proof that it works. It is called exposure therapy and it definitely works, but it requires you to expose yourself to your greatest fears. Find a therapist who specializes in phobias or read a book on exposure therapy because phobias can be cured relatively quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I've also recently been having some claustraphobic, but mainly it's just an issue when there are people around that I don't know. I posted another thread about having an issue with the opposite sex being too close to me. I constantly feel that people get in my personal space and avoid going to stores during busy times because of this. Like you, I also find flying a big challenge. If at all possible, I do better if I fly with a person I know. For some reason I feel more relaxed and safer with a person I know next to me. I also find it helpful to listen to music to keep myself distracted, and also read. If I don't do anything, I tend to notice the small area a lot more. I also like to play sudoku puzzles on the plane. It keeps my brain occupied so there isn't as much time to worry and feel anxious. I also ALWAYS get the aisle seat if I can. I get too nervous and anxious to be in the middle or window because I feel "trapped."

Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Dainty sun

Garrett makes a great point, and I am so happy to see his positive personal experience with exposure therapy. I have only seen it used on TV.

I get claustrophobia too, but I have associated with the hot flashes of menopause...but I am treated for anxiety too! Now I see the connection. Thanks.

I hope you find some help, it is an awful feeling..

Old 05-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
(female)

ellabobella HB User

hi there,

I wanted to ask if you've had any luck with the claustrophobia or flying? I can relate. Seems more and more this takes over me...I feel as though one day I woke up and I wasn't myself anymore. I barely recognize myself. So much fear. I can't get into an elevator anymore, I have a flight to europe in one month- and I have no idea how I'm going to do it. My biggest fear is that this gets even bigger. It is already eating me alive, i love life, i love travel, i am passionate about living my life, following my heart and my dreams - but this could very well stop me. I've never felt such little control over myself....

I hope you have managed to find some peace in this....curious to know where you're at with it all.

Hoping you've managed to find yourself again

Closed Thread