It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2003, 10:27 AM   #1

johnnysgal HB User
Exclamation agoraphobia

I suffer from what they call agoraphobia, which is the fear of leaving your home.I was put on Lexapro .25mg and also take clonasapam .5mg.I was told by my dr. that i could take a couple of the clon.. as needed.The question I have for anyone of there is I cant find alot of info on this disorder and am unable to go seek professional help being as i cant leave my home very often.I'm wondering if someone else has had this problem and conquered it or has any info they would like to share that would help me out!!!!!

Old 08-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Smile

welcome johnnysgal,
there should be lots of info on the net, sometimes its called panic disorder, many books are available on how to recover from it

some become housebound due to having panic attacks when they try to leave thge house, others fear panic attacks when out of the house, however, panic attacks can still happen in the house

panic attacks are unpleasant but they wont hurt you.

the lexapro should help a lot but takes several weeks to start working and sometimes never works

clonazepam is a valium type med that acts quickly and always relaxes you, many take a few tablets with them and disolve 1 under the tongue if panic happens, it goes well with lexapro.

recovery books can be ordered from amazon, etc

stay with us and tell us more

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2003, 05:03 PM   #3

johnnysgal HB User
Exclamation

Thanks for your reply hry33,
The problem is i have had bouts of being house bound for sometime though.I have been before 2 and a half years in my home without leaving before and always have problems esp. when it comes to certain times of the year like fall and winter.Ive been seen before by a counceler and i had no luck there, and i take my clonaspam by swallowing it..not by dissolving it under my tongue. Are u suppose to do that?Im really at my wits end about it, cause my kid is starting school and i need to take her and im also terrified to be alone at home because i still have them here so im like at a no win situation...Im going through a terrible time in my life and i cant concentrate enough to do all my self help things like positive self talk or anything.I do own the program called anxiety and depression by lucinda bassitt, but again i cant seem to help myself.Im sorry for unloading all of this , i just need a friend is all to try and help my through this. sincerly , johnnysgal!

Old 08-18-2003, 06:07 PM   #4
(male)

jerry78 HB User
Hang in there, Gal....although I never personally suffered from agoraphobia(just panic), I had an ex-girlfriend who suffered from it.
What helped her was cognitve-therapy with a great therapist.....but she did have to "doctor-shop" around until she found one she liked.
Jerry

Old 08-18-2003, 06:30 PM   #5

Lizzie101 HB User
I don't want to advocate anything, but I think you need to go see your doctor, and tell him or her all this stuff. It sounds like you are really going through a rough time right now. I know what you mean about not being able to think positively. Sometimes you just can't. You try to, but your head just goes round and round, and you just can't seem to stop it long enough to focus. I went through this for the longest time, before finally admitting I needed help. I have been on Paxil now for about 2 months---and it has done wonders for me. I started out at 10 mg. for 2 1/2 weeks, and have been on 20 mg. for the rest of the time. It takes a while to see results, but I am so much calmer, clearer, and more POSITIVE about things! I am more able to help myself this way. The reason I even went to my doctor to ask for Paxil was for my son. I want to be there for him,the way I used to be, the way he needs me to be...
Please, I would NEVER tell anyone what they should do. And, if you can get past this without meds, then I say go for it! But, if you need some help, and you just don't can't do it on your own, maybe ask your doctor what you could do...
Good luck!!! And, I wish you all the best!

Liz

Old 08-18-2003, 07:02 PM   #6

TypeRighter HB User
I had agoraphobia for about a year, which was the result of panic attacks, which was the result of my heart arrythmia, which was the result of bad living, which was the result of irresistible beer commercials and cigarette ads.

Actually, most of that's true.

I know it's hard, but you gotta get pro help. 2 1/2 years is a long time. You said you saw a counselor once but it didn't help. I saw one once and it didn't help either -- he started talking about God so I got the heck out of there. (Not that there's anything wrong with God, I just felt it wasn't the place for it.)

But I DID see a psychologist soon after. I sat in the chair for the first time and he asked, "So what do you want to get out of this? What's your goal?" And I said, "I want to get out of the house, get on a plane and go to the west coast." During my sessions he recommended that I read Albert Ellis' books on rational/emotive therapy.

5 sessions, two books, and one relaxation tape later, I was leaving my house regularly. 6 months after that, I moved to California (which some might consider a step back, but hey, I would otherwise be missing the great and wacky recall campaign of the Century -- which, in itself, is enough to trigger a panic attack if I took it at all seriously.)

So it can be done. One of the first things in rational/emotive therapy is learning to look at things realistically and getting rid of funny and impossible words like "unable," "awful," "terrible," "can't", etc.

Hey, man, this is the PERFECT place to unload, Johnnysgal.

Old 08-18-2003, 07:05 PM   #7

johnnysgal HB User
Thank you for all your replies.My Dr. is aware of all my problems, and switches me all the time on meds.. when he doesnt think something is working then he tries something else.He wants me to see a therapist or pysc.. for my problems but its a little hard when theres no one in my town and i cant seem to get to far and there isnt anyone that will come to your home.It'd be nice to find something on here to work with until i was well enough to go to one in person.Its just a long hard road to beat!!!! Thanks...

Old 08-18-2003, 07:20 PM   #8

TypeRighter HB User
I had agoraphobia for about a year, which was the result of panic attacks, which was the result of my heart arrythmia, which was the result of bad living, which was the result of irresistible beer commercials and cigarette ads.

Actually, most of that's true.

I know it's hard, but you gotta get pro help. 2 1/2 years is a long time. You said you saw a counselor once but it didn't help. I saw one once and it didn't help either -- he started talking about God so I got the heck out of there. (Not that there's anything wrong with God, I just felt it wasn't the place for it.)

But I DID see a psychologist soon after. I sat in the chair for the first time and he asked, "So what do you want to get out of this? What's your goal?" And I said, "I want to get out of the house, get on a plane and go to the west coast." During my sessions he recommended that I read Albert Ellis' books on rational/emotive therapy.

5 sessions, two books, and one relaxation tape later, I was leaving my house regularly. 6 months after that, I moved to California (which some might consider a step back, but hey, I would otherwise be missing the great and wacky recall campaign of the Century -- which, in itself, is enough to trigger a panic attack if I took it at all seriously.)

So it can be done. One of the first things in rational/emotive therapy is learning to look at things realistically and getting rid of funny and impossible words like "unable," "awful," "terrible," "can't", etc.

Hey, man, this is the PERFECT place to unload, Johnnysgal.

Old 08-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #9

TypeRighter HB User
I wonder if there are therapists that can do their work over the phone. If you can find one, that might be a good place to start.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:15 AM   #10

Thumper3172 HB User
Go to Google or any search engine and type in Agoraphobia.There are lots of books out there and info,just gotta know where to loook.

Wish you the best coz Agoraphobia stinks!

Old 08-19-2003, 11:39 AM   #11
Inactive

Equis HB User
There ARE over the phone therapists, but I would recommend looking up a therapist in your area, talking to them on the phone to make arrangments,then actually going to your session, but taken by a trusted friend or family memember. If you explain that you're house-bound to the therapist on the phone, I'm sure he or she will be able to help you figure out how to get there. To find a therapist in your area, you can call your local hospital, who should have a directory of doctors in the area, look in your phone book, or search online. I think the APA has a search engine on their website. Good luck!

Kate

Old 08-20-2003, 05:39 PM   #12

TroubledYouth HB User
you and i friend are on the same page, i get extremly panicky just going to my porch to get the mail i hate leaving my house, i also hate answering the phone and HATE answering the door i just get really really nervous when i have to go outside or go anywhere or be around anyone the internet does have a lot of information of personality disorders though thats where i get a lot of my information...i am on wellbutrin for anxiety and depression have been for almost three months now...doesnt seem to be working just makin my dperession a little worse

sorry i couldnt be more help but your definatly not alone...good luck i really really hope things work out for you...and hey if you find anything that seems to work you let me know heehee

------------------
-When life gives ya lemons, squeeze em in someones eye until you feel better-

Old 08-20-2003, 07:17 PM   #13

johnnysgal HB User
Hello troubledyouth,
I was wondering if you can leave your house at all or if you do and u just put up with the panic?I took wellbutrin at one time but it make me pretty shaky and my dr. took me off from it.Ive taken Zoloft in the past and Paxil, nothing really made me feel much better.Lexapro does make some difference which is basically paxil.I also dislike wide open spaces and living in ohio theres alot of that, lol.Today im having a decent day but i always fear tommorrow will be different, and im going through a divorce which isnt helping any, and the reason for the divorce, go figure...is because i cant leave the house!!!! I guess sometimes u can never win, lol.And p.s. i know some people ive love to sqeeze a lemon in their eye!!!! LOL

Old 08-20-2003, 09:19 PM   #14

TroubledYouth HB User
im actually on wellbutrin now 300 mg a day its not helping with the anxiety at all and its makin my depression a lot worse so i think im going to have to stop taking that also, i was on paxil when i was about 13 i think and it worked a bit as far as i can remember. i leave my house very rarely never ever by myself, tonight is trash night and i cant even bring the trash down to the end of my drive way. its really bad
but if i do have to leave the house im always with someone and we dont usually stay out to long and my friends -haha all three of them- know about my situation so if i start feeling uncomfortable we leave right away.
im so glad your having a good day, thats all that its about one good day
im really sorry to hear about the divorce, its hard when people dont understand what were going threw.

im engaged now and the guy im with is really out going he loves people and going out he makes friends so easily he just lives life to the fullest, im really scared im going to lose him because i never want to go out and do anything and i never want to meet his friends he assures me nothing like that will happen...but ya never know right

have a greeeeeat day tomorrow

------------------
-When life gives ya lemons, squeeze em in someones eye until you feel better-

Old 08-21-2003, 06:40 AM   #15

Lizzie101 HB User
Dear Troubled Youth,
If you've been on Wellbutrin for this long and don't feel any better---or WORSE---you probably shouldn't be taking it. From what I've read and heard, Wellbutrin has that effect on a lot of people. I think it might be okay if you're just suffering with "plain" depression, but I think the speed-like properties would be bad for someone suffering from anxiety/panic disorder.
Maybe you could try going back on Paxil. It has really helped me.
But, it's not a miracle drug...It won't magically make the anxiety go away...But, what it will do is let you calmly see the situation, and let you be able to do the work on doing all the things you need to do to be able to get better yourself. You'll still have to push yourself, but it takes away some of the terror and hopelessness. It lets you see that it's possible to get over it....
Good luck! And, best wishes to you!!!

Liz

Closed Thread