It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2003, 01:33 PM   #1
Inactive

ilaugh@myself.why HB User
Post Anxiety/Panic Disorder and Mild Agoraphobia.. How to manage a job with the disorders?

I'd just like to ask, how do you ladies and gentleman who are living on your own, maintain an income and pay all of your bills?

Do you have panic attacks at work? Do you miss alot of work? What kinda work do you do? Are their jobs that would be a little more friendly to a person with these disorders?

Did you go to college to follow a career? Or start somewhere else?

I'm asking because my mother is tired of me living at home (I'm 19) and I'd like to get outta here.. she doesn't understand my problems, and never made an attempt to.. but how will I last in college? or in a career? how am I gonna pay all my bills?!
Panic attacks put me outta commission for a week or more sometimes! How would I be able to do my job in that state of mind? and balance college on top of it?
ugh!

-Ryan

[This message has been edited by ilaugh@myself.why (edited 10-11-2003).]

Old 10-12-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
Inactive

anyone? jobs? do these disorders make it near impossible to hold a job?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2003, 01:35 PM   #3

losingit HB User
Howdy Ryan,
I've been wondering the same thing. I have been unemployed now for over 6 mos and the meer thought of getting a job terrifies me BUT I have decided to try a job that is low stress part-time first. I think that the hardest part for us is getting the job and then dealing with the anxiety attacks at work and driving to work hence the fear of then losing the job.
I've read that we need to face each issue head on; driving,work, stupid people ha ha if we force ourselve into dealing with these stressors and deal with the anxiety for what it is then I think employment is actually a crucial part of our recovery process.
So go ahead try part-time it won't be easy but you can do it. Think positively about what you are going to gain by working not what can go wrong.
Thats all I can do for myself too. hope my opinion helps.

losingit

Old 10-13-2003, 02:14 PM   #4
Inactive

it does, thank you.
i feel like i'm the only person who's gotta deal with this.. and i don't have any say in the matter.. i'll be getting kicked out! haha.

i'm just afraid i'm gonna miss too much work, or too much school, and have a really terrible start to independent life.

that's why i'm asking how other ppl do it.. surely some ppl here must be employed and trying to cope with this..

i wanna know the chef's secrets!

-Ryan

Old 10-13-2003, 04:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
Try to adress your panic problem first, it is possible to overcome panic through therapy and/or medications. Or at least bring it down to a level where you can function in a job. Of course, you should get a job that is not very stressful and less likely to trigger an episode of panic/anxiety.

I was unemployed during the first 4-5 months after having to move back with my parents and starting therapy and meds. But after that I got a job and continued my treatment and did much better.

[This message has been edited by Janik (edited 10-13-2003).]

Old 10-14-2003, 12:21 PM   #6

Debra Noel HB User
Where o where shall I begin...... I am 28 years old and have this crap ruining my life for 10 years. 10 years where it has been at its worst, but as I look back, I think I have had it all my life. Anyways, it all began with a stomach flu/food poisoning. I was violently ill and had called in sick to work. This just set me off and I've never been the same since. I developed a major phobia of becoming sick. As a result, I quit eating. I dropped major, major weight, and nobody knew what was wrong with me. Doctors thought I was anorexic because I was so skinny, but I knew I wasn't. I also knew I was too skinny. Eventually I was diagnosed with panic disorder. This eventually became agoraphobia, although I was never completely housebound. I did however, completely limit my movements. I never travelled, it was out of my "safe zone", never ate in restaurants, never ate at people's houses, never ate at work, never went too far from home, never left work. The only place I felt comfortable was at home. I hit my lowest when my boyfriend got a job out of town. I couldn't cope being alone. I tried to go visit him on my holidays and I didn't even last one day. I was so afraid being away from home. I went to the hospital and they prescribed me paxil 20 mg. I took (although I was scared to death of it), and it gave me my life back. I took a group therapy program on panic and anxiety. I became "normal" once again. I ate....alot, travelled, gained weight, did things I would have never done. The panic was still there, but it was at bay. I was on the paxil for almost 3 years and I decided to come off. So I went through the withdrawal and it was bad, but I got off. However, the panic, phobias, obsessive thoughts all came back. I lasted about a month off the meds, when I had to go back on. I had to go away for work last week, to a nice resort town 4 hours away. Again, I lasted one day. I couldn't handle it, so I got in my car and came home. I went to the doctor and he upped the paxil now to 30 mg. I have resigned myself to probably being on meds the rest of my life.

Now the other part of the story. I had huge dreams as a younger woman. Thought I would become a vet, lawyer, etc. That didn't quite happen, but I did go to university and got a degree in criminology. I work for the government doing research and have made an okay go of things for myself. I am still with my boyfriend, but would be able to support myself. Sometimes it is really hard at work, but this is a pretty comfortable place for me. The trip that I didn't succeed on was very devastating because I had to tell my 2 bosses, but much to my surprise they are very supportive and understanding. With work, I definatley still have the fears and phobias, and that is probably why I am a little more conservative with big spending (don't want to overextend myself so I can't escape). However, I have also seen alot of my dreams fall to the wayside because I know I just couldn't do it with this disorder.

Old 10-14-2003, 01:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
I feel the same way, I am 25 and i have always had a job since i was 16, waitress,retail,sales e.t.c. I even went to college. at 21 I overdosed on meth (speed) I had my very first panic attack the day I left the hospital. over the 4 years it has gotten much worse, I am scared of everything I used to love. I have gotten married and moved out with my husband but I am terrified of being alone, so when he leaves the panic starts. I have a 6 hour a week job and I can barely handle that. I am scared of being put in a looney house. I just started taking meds 3 days ago and I wish they would work NOW!!! I hate living like this and I am trying to work on myself before i get back to college and i believe i will get there someday and do what i dream! have a good day!

Old 10-14-2003, 01:57 PM   #8
Inactive

jeez..
y'make it sound like i'm being thrown to the dogs!

i'm gonna be going to college 5 hours away from my "safety zone" without anyone i know in my city.. and also trying to hold a job..

is it that hard to deal with these problems and stop them from interferring with careers?

Old 10-17-2003, 07:53 PM   #9
Inactive

okay.. i'm bringing this back to the first page in hopes that i'll get more replies..

i'd really like to hear from everyone about how they managed work and school..

it'd help tons!

-Ryan

Closed Thread