It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 04:32 AM   #1

juggernaut216 HB User
Post Social Phobia......

After doing research it seems Serotonin isn't the only culprit in this disorder.People with SP tend to lack Serotonin,GABA and Dopamine.They also have Norepinephrine in excess.I wish more research would be done on Dopamine type drugs.I think a major key missing from anxiety is the dopamine factor....Dopamine plays an important role in motivation and reward.In the animal kingdom those with high DA levels tend to dominate and those w/low levels are shy and"get walked on"
-Social leaders among rats have the highest dopamine levels
-Most passive rats have the lowest dopamine levels.
-rats sexual activity and success correlattes to dopamine levels.
I feel this is why in part Nardil is more successful in treating social phobia and atypical depression,as Nardil hits all 3 major neurotransmitters.I also believe that the sexual dysfunction caused by the SSRI'S are related to the dopamine depletion it gives.
pamine is responsible for sex drive,mood,alertness and movement.
I feel augmentation w/a dopamine type would work wonders......

DOPAMINE:
1-BROMOCRIPTINE
2-Mirapex
3-Amantadine
4-Dexedrine
5-Adderall
6-RITALIN
Etc.

GABA:
-Klonopin has been shown to be one of the gold standards of SP,although possibly has anti-serotonin effects.
-XANAX XR-might have possible anti-depressant effects
-Ativan

Serotonin:
I believe Prozac would be the best choice.It will give you the least side effects in my opinion.

NE BLOCK:
I would recommend Inderal on an as needed basis.

Others:
-Serzone
-Neurontin
-Wellbutrin sr

For me to conquer SP I would have the following meds schedule....

1-Prozac or NARDIL WHICH IS king....
2-Klonopin
3-Dexedrine Ir or Provigil
4-Inderal(as needed)
5-Ambien

Some will think this is too much but I think its just right.I think combining an SSRI with Ritalin is a great idea.Most people dont realize Ritalin is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor...the same action as Prozac just on a different chemical.
WOW,I'm running out of time.... will post more but I'm running out of time,I will post more of what I'm trying to say later

Basically,I would like to get anyones opinion on this matter and would like to discuss further.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2004, 03:27 AM   #2

wh0131 HB User
Re: Social Phobia......

Found your post searching for "pamine" but I think it showed up becuz you are discussing do-pamine. I was looking for the drug pamine. Anyway, I am responding becuz I have SP, too. I am just wondering in light of what you say about people with SP having excess NE, wouldn't Nardil, which works on serotonin, NE, and dopamine, increase NE as well as the other two and thus might have some bad effect? I don't know, since I have never taken an MAO inhibitor. Have often wondered about taking one but docs don't seem to suggest them. I guess they are afraid of the side effects.

Old 06-17-2004, 08:54 AM   #3

bingling HB User

I'm not sure I agree with that,
I have SP too..but it was worse in me when I smoked pot.
Pot increases Dopamine in the brain...so If it was the cause of SP..then wouldn't it make the SP better...not worse?
Just a thought

Old 06-17-2004, 10:36 AM   #4

karuna9011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut216
After doing research it seems Serotonin isn't the only culprit in this disorder.People with SP tend to lack Serotonin,GABA and Dopamine.They also have Norepinephrine in excess.I wish more research would be done on Dopamine type drugs.I think a major key missing from anxiety is the dopamine factor....Dopamine plays an important role in motivation and reward.In the animal kingdom those with high DA levels tend to dominate and those w/low levels are shy and"get walked on"
-Social leaders among rats have the highest dopamine levels
-Most passive rats have the lowest dopamine levels.
-rats sexual activity and success correlattes to dopamine levels.
I feel this is why in part Nardil is more successful in treating social phobia and atypical depression,as Nardil hits all 3 major neurotransmitters.I also believe that the sexual dysfunction caused by the SSRI'S are related to the dopamine depletion it gives.
pamine is responsible for sex drive,mood,alertness and movement.
I feel augmentation w/a dopamine type would work wonders......

DOPAMINE:
1-BROMOCRIPTINE
2-Mirapex
3-Amantadine
4-Dexedrine
5-Adderall
6-RITALIN
Etc.

GABA:
-Klonopin has been shown to be one of the gold standards of SP,although possibly has anti-serotonin effects.
-XANAX XR-might have possible anti-depressant effects
-Ativan

Serotonin:
I believe Prozac would be the best choice.It will give you the least side effects in my opinion.

NE BLOCK:
I would recommend Inderal on an as needed basis.

Others:
-Serzone
-Neurontin
-Wellbutrin sr

For me to conquer SP I would have the following meds schedule....

1-Prozac or NARDIL WHICH IS king....
2-Klonopin
3-Dexedrine Ir or Provigil
4-Inderal(as needed)
5-Ambien

Some will think this is too much but I think its just right.I think combining an SSRI with Ritalin is a great idea.Most people dont realize Ritalin is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor...the same action as Prozac just on a different chemical.
WOW,I'm running out of time.... will post more but I'm running out of time,I will post more of what I'm trying to say later

Basically,I would like to get anyones opinion on this matter and would like to discuss further.....

Old 06-17-2004, 10:42 AM   #5

karuna9011 HB User

Thanks for sharing so much info. I found the dopamine connection fascinating, as I am having major problems with movitation. My brain has the intent to do something, but my body does not follow. So I don't get much done during the day which is frustrating and shameful for me. I am on Lexapro 10 and Lamictal and also Ativan as needed. I don't feel the anxiety factor is being addressedd adequately.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:23 PM   #6

alphamale9009 HB User

Great research my man, but don't go getting the super drug cocktail just yet, you're missing one thing. Dompamine converts to epinephrine and norepinephrine. If you are prone to anxiety you will notice that if you smoke a cigarette, which increases dopamine immediately, you will become more talkative, but soon, you become more shaky and more anxious because the dopamine converts to adrenalin. There are drugs that block this conversion that are prescribed for people with Parkinson's. People with Parkinson's lack dompamine so they give them medicines to boost the dopamine. Interestingly, the most common medicine is l-dopa. A natural source of L-dopa is the fava bean, but you have to get them fresh. I have wanted to try them myself till i read that a large percentage of the African American population is allergic to it. Anyway, people with Parkinson's often report the same or better responses to fava bean consumption as their dopamine boosting medications, but here's the kicker. You gotta stop the dopamine from turning into adrenalin, it's only a few steps from adrenalin. Once it turns to adrenalin, you become a shaky, anxious mess.

Do the fava bean thing and tell me how it works. You can order them fresh offline, just make sure you're not in a population that may be allergic to them. Caucasions are generally not allergic to the fava bean.

alpha

Closed Thread