It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 10:30 PM   #1

LJ74 HB User
Post Agoraphobia and Finding A Therapist

I would like to know how I could find a therapist in my area using exsposure therapy, or virtual realty, which I've heard works great. Just last week, I was OUT & ABOUT, but due to a BAD panic attack, due to a traumatic experience that happened last wed. while at work, I can't seem to leave my house without wanting to RUN home. I'm poping pills like crazy, and this is someone that NEVER took meds, not even for a headach. I can't live with this FEAR, when nothing is going to happen to me. I couldn't even get to the corner, to by my fiance a birthday presant, which today (Sat.) is his birthday If I would have not been a last minute person, and bought it before last wed, or had NEVER EVER gone to work that day, I would have been fine today. Because of one event, I feel crippled and SCARED. Tonight I managed to get out for a long walk and felt great, but I TRY, and I TRY so hard, to say to myself, you're ok, you're ok, but sometimes, it WON'T GO AWAY. How can I make it go away? How can I search (online) for a therpaist in my area who can help? Much thanks to all of you and wishing you all, good healthy days to come

Jenn

Old 10-25-2003, 07:30 PM   #2

chrislvj HB User
hello,

having a panic attack is very scary! but you can control this, theirs alot of information availabable.what ever made you panic, was a real issue, the symptoms of the panick attack is a stress responce to what was worring you, or with what had happened. then after that is when you actually become more upset and afraid from the symptons then what actually caused this stress .now all you're focused on is the panick, this is what causes this disorter. don't be scared of the panick attacks (the more attention you give them the more their be their),it will never hurt you, you're not going to die. try not to avoid anything, i know it's hard ,but learn to float threw them, and that by relaxing, talking to yourself calmly,and distracting your self they will go away, and by knowing that they will not hurt you, they will go away! because you're not scared of them, it's the fear that keeps you in this. take deap breaths, and tell yourself that this is just anxiety and it will go away,be patient and it will go away, don't keep feeding your self nagetive similutes,keep yourself focused on the moment. the more nagetive thoughts you give them the longer they will stay(.this is why it's important to distract youself from what your feeling or thinking) i hope this makes sence , all the symptons you mentioned are very normal.don't let them scare you, let them talk to you, you're body is telling you that you need to change what you're doing, because what you're doing is talking yourself into a panick!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2003, 05:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
There's also CBT self-help books. I like "Feeling Good", by Dr. Burns. I know there are other books out there. I was cured through a combination of CBT, other therapies and meds, and I am now med free.

Closed Thread