It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2002, 01:40 PM   #1

natema HB User
Question terrible fear of flying

I have a terrible fear of flying. I am afraid of heights and am claustorphobic. At the end of February I am supposed to take a 3 hour flight for business reasons. I am terrified, but there's no way out of it. I have to do it and by myself. Anyone have any ideas on how to get through this easier? How to cope? Any advice?

Absolutely terrified
Natema
little harder.
-Tao of Enlightenment

Old 01-24-2002, 06:23 PM   #2

HelloKitty HB User
Talking

Hi,
I had never flown before (Im 26) until last year. I was VERY nervous. I remained nervous through the takeoff. Thing is, once you reach the height your flying and and level off, it feels like absoultely nothing. You can have a glass of water on the tray in front of you and the water dosent even move. As for the claustrophobic part, if you are flying in a decent sized plane it really allows you quite a bit of space. I knew a girl who was very terrified of flying and she went to the doctor and explained her situation and they gave her some pills to relax. you could check into that so you will feel better about the whole thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2002, 02:11 PM   #3

natema HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks Kitty. That's a good idea. Maybe some sort of sedative could relax me more.

------------------
Participating in real life is not so hard. Ceasing to
pretend that there is something better we could be doing is a
little harder.
-Tao of Enlightenment
little harder.
-Tao of Enlightenment

Old 01-26-2002, 06:51 PM   #4

Lori A HB User
Hi Natema
Flying is not that bad at all. I am very claustrophobic and it was not as bad as I thought(or worried about)..I tried to think of something else. think about the next day and what you will be doing. If they offer you a glass of wine. take it. I would recommend sitting closer to the front by the exit door and sit by the isle. the worse part of the claustrophobia is when everyone is standing up waiting for the doors to open when you land. good luck

Old 02-02-2002, 08:43 PM   #5

Molly M HB User
I totally understand where you are coming from. I fear flying too, and I am supposed to be going to the United Kingdom in May. I can't stop visualizing the worst. I have flown many times and this fear has gotten worse as I've grown older. I will be flying with my whole family, my mom,dad, brother, husband, and 3 year old daughter. And I will be 6 months pregnant. I know flying is really safe, but why do I fear it so much. It's not because of 911. Although that has definately made it even worse. Good luck on your trip and remember that flying really is statistically safe. I will try to remember my own words, but it will be hard. Luckily I will have my whole family by my side.

------------------
Molly H.

Old 02-26-2002, 11:06 AM   #6

MrAlan HB User
Sedatives didn't work for me. Several years ago I had to take about a 4 hour flight for work. I took a drugstore full of Rx and even paid airport prices for a few coctails (highly unrecommended practice). Anyway needless to say I was feeling no anxiety, or anything else. I boarded the aircraft and when the engines fired up I was immediately sober and terrified.

The last time I flew I didn't take anything. It was a beautiful day, no turbulence, a very short flight ... about 50 minutes. When we reached our cruising altitude I looked out of the window and thought this isn't natural to be this far from the ground. I vowed never to fly again, and I'm sticking to it. It would be nice to be able to fly, but that's not possible for me. The benefit of flying isn't worth the trade off of the terror I have to experience waiting to board a plane.

Old 03-01-2002, 09:51 AM   #7

Molly M HB User
I keep having dreams of the plane when I'm supposed to be going to England. They are not bad, but I'm obviously still obsessed with it. I know it is safe to fly, but I just can't get over the fact that this huge plane carrying tons of people and weight, is so far up in the sky. I think having my innocent 3 1/2 year old daughter with us is really creating havoc on me. I can't imagine if anything happened to her. I keep picturing if the plane started to go down, I would just hold her and tell her I love her and that everything will be fine. We will be fine, I keep telling myself, but the visions keep coming back. Think of all the planes that are in the air every single hour, and you only hear of a crash once in a great while - sometimes years apart. Of course this 911 incident hasn't helped, but I'm more scared of mechanical failure. I can't take any major sedatives because I am pregnant. I know, for those of you who can take them, there are such a thing as an IV that will put you out for the whole ride. This sounds very disturbing, but I wouldn't want that because if anything did happen, I would want to be there holding my daughter for the last time. She would need me. Oh my god, I need to stop thinking things like that. I think it's the pregnancy making me visualize the worst. EVERYTHING WILL BE OK. Oh the art of positive thinking!!

------------------
Molly H.

Old 03-06-2002, 02:38 PM   #8

AnitaChiquita HB User
Talking

Natema, how did the flight go?

[This message has been edited by AnitaChiquita (edited 03-06-2002).]

Old 03-07-2002, 02:00 PM   #9

natema HB User
Hi,
Well, I made sure I only got about 2 hours of sleep before my flight at 4am. I also had some extra meds from my doctor to take. Whatever it was worked because I was actually pretty good during the actual flight. I have to say, though, that I was terribly wracked with fear up until I actually went. The night before I was crying and shaking. I think what worked the best, though, was that I sort of played mind games with myself. I just kept telling myself whenever I would start getting afraid that I wasn't afraid, I was excited about going. And I started doing relaxation exercises: deep breathing, guided imagery, muscle relaxation, etc regularly during the day and at night when I went to sleep. I was amazed at how much it helped. Thank you all for your support! Next year I'm taking the Amtrak!
Natema

------------------
Participating in real life is not so hard. Ceasing to
pretend that there is something better we could be doing is a
little harder.
-Tao of Enlightenment
little harder.
-Tao of Enlightenment

Old 05-06-2002, 09:53 PM   #10

MrAlan HB User
I'm with you Natema. For now on it's Amtrak, or Greyhound, or Hertz, etc ...

It would be nice to fly, but it's not worth the trade off to me. The accompanying anxiety takes me to a place I never want to visit again!

Old 05-12-2002, 12:26 AM   #11

rachel1226 HB User
I know this posting thread is getting kind of old, but I am so glad to be finding people with the same kinds of phobias (this is my first time looking at the OCD board) that I just have to reply!
I'm very claustrophobic, which I think is the main reason I am so afraid to fly: Being stuck on the plane and breathing the same air that everyone else is breathing, etc. Sedatives don't work because start to panic about the way they make me feel. I've found that the best thing for me is to sit in the emergency evac area (with the seats that face each other). That way I have the most room possible and I always close my eyes and remind myself that I'm right next to the evac door and could jump out if I really wanted to! It sounds crazy--I'd die if I jumped--but just those thoughts really help me. It is still hard to fly and I swear I will never do it again each time, but it helps. One time I ended up taking the bus from San Diego to Portland Oregon (it took 24 hrs w/layovers) and decided it was worth it for me to just take the plane.
So, I guess it's first a matter of figuring out why you have a hard time flying.
My family refuses to fly with me!!
~Rachel

Closed Thread