It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2002, 02:23 PM   #1

Emi106 HB User
Post Calling on the phone

Hello, I'm new here and wondering if anyone has the same thing...(prob I'm the only one..lol)
I stress about calling people to make an appt. Like for the Dr's or calling about Bills and such. It started when I used to talk to Rude people on the phone. I don;t know why I want to avoid it.
If I HAVE to I will but... I asked my Husband to call and ask ?s to my Dr or
have him call and ask ?s about the cell bill. I NEVER used to be like this....
I just have anxiety about it. I guess I just don't want to sound dumb on the phone and also deal with rude people on the phone.
Once I'm on the phone I'm ok but b4 that I get sooo stressed and have to think what i have to say.
My husband tells me what's the big deal? The only thing i can say is I don't know. It's not a big deal but I get stressed!
My Dr gave me Buspirone for my anxiety so that helps to calm down.
Like This week I have to go to my new dentist and i have to tell him what went on in the past few weeks with my mouth and i'm stressing out about how to say it and wondering what is he going to say.
And I KNOW once I'm there I would be ok. It's just the wait...
I think too much about things and some times I can't stop.
My mind is going 24/7 and wish I can stop it.
Thanks for reading.
Emi

Old 06-24-2002, 03:15 PM   #2

strange86 HB User
I get like that, too. It's hard for me to communicate with people because people can be so rude sometimes. It's hard to talk with rude people when your self-esteem is low in the first place. Perhaps you could talk to a counselor about this...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2002, 03:39 PM   #3

Emi106 HB User
Talking

For some reason my Self - esteem is not low. if I have to tell people off in person its ok. Once I'm in that situation I have no problem. Its only b4 I call I get all stressed out.
But glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Thanks for the reply : )
EMi

Old 06-24-2002, 04:01 PM   #4
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
Emi, you are not alone! I hate dealing with people over the phone. I stress out about calling for some reason-even people I know. I can't explain it. Evrytime I make a call, beforehand I have to think about what I'm goign to say and what to do in all sorts of situations, it really gets me worked up. Makes me feel so pathetic, b/c to most people it is nothing.

Old 06-24-2002, 04:20 PM   #5

Emi106 HB User
Talking

DanaJ thanks for the reply! Means alot.
I guess I'm not the only one that's going through this.
I HAD to make a call to pay a bill now and Thank god The guy was nice.
I keep telling my self who cares what they think but I just stress out b4 hand.
I'm sure some people by now are wondering Why my hubby's calling for me and that right there gives me some stress..lol
Never ends...lol
But little by little I'm doing better so I'm taking it day at a time.
Thanks again : )
Emi

Old 06-28-2002, 07:08 PM   #6
(female)

all things HB User
I've had a phone phobia (outgoing) for as long as I can remember. But I've noticed it is slightly better just recently. Not great yet, but a tad better. I still have my husband make most of the calls.

Old 06-29-2002, 08:46 AM   #7
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
Emi, of course you're not the only one who feels this way I am not even sure how my fear really started. It's a lot easier now a days though, since not everything has to be done over the phone. There are almost always other alternatives for most anything. Which is a lifesaver, eh?! lol. I always choose all other non-phone options first:-P (as you probably guessed. duh lol

Old 07-01-2002, 07:05 AM   #8

Emi106 HB User
Thanks for the reply All things and Dana!
I'm doing really well so far...
It would make it alot easier if we had nicer people in the world.
Emi

Old 07-03-2002, 03:51 PM   #9
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
I understand Emi. UNfortunately the unpleasant people tend to overpower the nicer people. Therefore we are stuck thinking about the bad things, when in fact we should focus on the good By focusing on the bad stuff, we only give those people the power and fuel their fire. So, working on that thinking may help, even if it's miniscule

Old 07-03-2002, 11:14 PM   #10

missyanne HB User
Smile

oh my god, i didn't think anyone else was afraid of the phone too!! In college, I was alone on weekend, and I thought I was going to starve, because no amount of anything was going to make me pick up that phone to order a pizza! I'm 30 now, and am still real wary of using the phone. I hate calling about bills, or making appts. I try to pursuade my husband to do it, but he just laughs and thinks I'm being irrational. My heart even races when the phone rings. I love emails, especially at work, I rarely have to use the phone. And guess what, I am a counselor, for adolescent girls, who love talking on the phone.

Old 07-04-2002, 12:10 PM   #11
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
Missyanne-no, you are not alone It's such a scary thing. I know what you mean though, I use email and all I can, other than the phone. It's so much more relaxing and easy! Awww, I'm sorry your husband doesn't understand. That must make the situation worse, or at least detrimental when it comes to fixing the solution or at least easing it(hell, even acknocledging the problem!)

Old 07-04-2002, 04:31 PM   #12

Emi106 HB User
Hiya DanaJ and Missyanne!
I been doing will calling people so far but had some problems with INS Co and some Dr's so I called and called but really got no where so I had my Hubby take care things. I can't handle the anxiety.
I know Im ok once I'm on the phone or see them in person..but I just don;t understand why the phone? I just have to keep telling myself WHO CARES I don't know them and they don't pay my bills!
Who cares who's on the other end of the phone and what they think of me.
I keep telling myself this..
Emi

Old 07-04-2002, 10:04 PM   #13
Inactive

DanaJ HB User
I've told myself that also, Emi. Just never really helped as much as I had hoped it to. *shrug* but hey if you find something that works for you, all the power to ya! It's a frustrating battle many don't understand, or believe exists. I hope, if nothing else, everyone who replied in this thread, finds at least some solace knowing there are others out there, and are trying to help

Closed Thread