It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2002, 07:12 AM   #1

buzz23 HB User
Post Fear of Wild Animals, Parks, and Rabies

I have had ocd since I was a child. When I was a teen it faded into the background. Now I am in my mid twenties and it has been bad since my early 20's.
I have this tremendous fear of wildlife, nature parks and rabies. I live in NC. Moved here from Long Island about 4 years ago. I think I was culturally shocked. Here there is always wild animals - and lots of roadkill. When I drive mycar I get frealed out b/c of this. When I open my car door, I wont touch the handles, for fear of dead animal guts being splattered on my car if I ran by roadkill. I also have a terrible fear of rabies. There was a story on the news here a few days ago, about 3 people getting attacked by a rabid housecat. I have a cat, but he stays indoors. But b/c of my ocd, I am afraid of him biting me now. He obviously has his shots. LOL I must be the most meticioulous pet owner, considering how terrified of animals I am. I have this obsessive thought in my head right now- and I cant get rid of it. I went to the movies last night with my husband. we saw XXX. I was on the edge of my seat b/c it was an action movie. But I have a habit of picking the skin around my nails. I was doing this for about an hour. And now this a.m. I have this thought in my head that I got bit by something ( like a bat or mouse) in the theater and it wasnt from me picking my skin.
I take Luvox 100 mg in the am and 50 at night. I was up to 200 at one time, but it gave me heart palpitations and vertigo. I really hope someone out there can read this and post back some reassuring support.
I am trying to have a nice weekend with my husband, and I dont want to turn it into an OCD weekend from hell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2002, 02:16 AM   #2

pinkglitter HB User
Hi

I know you wrote this post over a month ago but when I read it, it struck a chord with me.

Where you say that even though you know you bit your nails but you think maybe something in the theatre did..I feel like that all the time.

I think in the last year I have developed severe OCD. I am always questioning myself like you did - even though I know how something happened it is like I dont know and I question it and tell myself something else happened.. I am very worried about contamination these days and my hands have become cracked and dry from washing them often. I cannot use public toilets and I also have a fear of animals - I worry about piegons. If they are perched on a stairwell and I have to walk under them I cant stop thinking they may have pooped when I walked under them and I think I will get some sort of disease. I am also worried about people spitting - like strangers or store clerks when they talk to me. ( say it, dont spray it) I am worried they are 'spraying it' and will get their spit on me. I am constantly worried about my eyes also, that I will get something in them that will give me some crazy infection or cause blindness.
I am not sure what to do and I feel like this is ruining my life. I have tried to talk to my mother about it a few times but I dont think she knows how serious this is for me. I cant do anything like I used to and I so desperately want to be normal again. I dont want all these crazy thoughts to cross my mind all day long.

Anyone - your advice/stories are greatly appreciated.

Closed Thread