It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2002, 09:54 PM   #1

Mike in LA HB User
Smile I bet you all I have the weirdest phobia

Alektorophobia, fear of chickens!

At the age of 4 I was pushed into a chicken pen by my cruel nanny. I was scared and wanted to get out. The chickens were scurrying by my feat and I was afraid of what was in the chicken coupe. Ever since then I have been completely unable to touch/get near birds and for a while I couldnt even look at pictures of chickens, especially roosters. Now I'm somewhat better but I would still rather die than go near a chicken.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2002, 06:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
Red face

HI

YOUR PHOBIA SOUNDS VERY SIMILIAR TO MINE IN SOME WAYS..ONLY MINE IS WITH TURTLES(IT GROSSES ME OUT TO JUST WRITE THE WORD) I DONT KNOW HOW MINE STARTED BUY I CAN NEVER REMEMBER NOT HAVING IT..I CANNOT LOOK AT A PICTURE OF A TURTLE WITHOUT A REACTION..SOMETIMES A SCREAM! I FEAR ALL REPTILES ..BUT TURTLES ARE THE WORST,THEN LIZARDS AND THEN SNAKES...I HAVE SEEN DRS FOR THIS PROBLEM EVEN BEEN ON MEDS..I SEE NO END IN SIGHT FOR IT..BUT HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO IMPROVE..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2002, 06:31 PM   #3

timeman_1560 HB User
Here's my really weird phobia: Ailanthus trees. You know, those ugly, smelly, fast growing trees that grow in empty lots. Those big, mutant-like leaves scare the crap out of me!

In case you don't know, here's the tree I'm talking about : [url="http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/ailaalti.html"]http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/ailaalti.html[/url]

Old 03-09-2002, 09:52 PM   #4
(male)

blahblahblah HB User
Those phobias are really strange. I think everything has to do with your childhoods.. I was just wondering though:
Mike, do you eat chicken?
And bjg, I love turtles.. where I live there is these little sea turtles on the beach.. they're so small cause I think they just hatched or whatever, and they're all over the beach. You'd DIE!
Well, I'd have to say I'm not afraid of really any animals to that point but I do jump when some insect is on me. OR if a bee wants to come in my car and I'm driving. (isn't that everyone's fear?)

Old 04-19-2002, 04:57 PM   #5

luvsrustywallace HB User
Well I have a real real fear of snakes....i don't know why...i am so sure that something happened when i was a kid..but who knows. I can't even look at a picture of a snake...and good god the other night i was flipping though channels late at night and started watching a movie that looked pretty good..until the snake appeared...good god..it was ANACONDA!! I screamed like i was being killed, my husband ran out of the bedroom thinking i was being attacked..and when he found out i was watching ANACONDA he laughed his butt off, so not nice. When me and my husband were dating we went to the boundry waters canoe area with a bunch of friends..and when we were porting he found one of those garter snakes..thinking he would be cute he showed it to me...me freaking out screaming is what he got..our friend said "hey man don't do that she is scared of things without legs" so i ran in the water...thinking the snake couldnt get me...and what does my boyfriend do?? he throws it in the water...and that icky thing came swimming..slithering on water right toward me....OMG that was terrible...and i ask myself..why did i marry him??? he he he

Lisa

Old 05-01-2002, 06:00 PM   #6

LittleFlower18 HB User
I have an extreme fear of water. I mean, I can take a bath and shower, even swim in a pool, but if I can't see everything in the water then I'm not going near it. Is that weird? I don't even cross walking bidges that go over a creek.

Old 05-14-2003, 01:15 AM   #7

OrangeJane HB User
For lack of the clinical term, I have a doll phobia. Ever since I was a child. It is not as bad now, but I still will not be left alone in a room that has dolls in it. I never minded the Cabbage Patch dolls or barbie dolls. Usually the fear is from porcelain dolls and others that resemble those. But, when I was younger, there was a period of around four years that I had doll nightmares EVERY single night. They were always trying to kill me in my house. I don't remember dreaming of anything other than killer dolls during those years. Bedtime was a nightmare in its self. I would lay paralyzed in my bed with fear, just hoping that it would be morning and time to get up. I still hate those dolls, though I have no idea at all where that fear started. So, at least most of you are afraid of living things. I'm suspicious of porcelain and plastic. But I guess fears can be like dreams; some make complete sense and others are like puzzles.

Old 05-14-2003, 11:29 AM   #8

20yrsofanxiety/ocd HB User
I can understand how that could happen. some of those older dolls have those freaky looking eyes that are somehow disturbing.....I guess you won't be watching "chucky"

Old 05-14-2003, 06:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

hangtenvetter HB User
I fear hairy spiders. And tarantulas.... eeeeek! They are the most awful things on earth.

Old 05-14-2003, 10:52 PM   #10
Veteran

villagegal68455 HB User
let me add a few things...clowns scare me, so do those darn porcelain dolls...especially the ones with glass eyes...i can always swear they are staring at me...i'm also afraid of cabbage patch dolls, but that's only cause when i was little my brother said they would kill me...as for the sleeping thing, my hubby always has to sleep closest to the door and i always have to have THREE comforters over me...i'm afraid someone will break in and kill me...

but my biggest fear, wish i knew the name of it, is being in a car...which sadly i have to do daily, but my fear isn't as bad when i'm not the one driving...everything about being in a car scares me when i'm driving...if its dark, a deer could cause an accident, if it's there's ice or snow, i could slide, if there is traffic, i might get in an accident...and i can't even go into big cities like omaha...it really hurts though, my dad doesn't think i have a problem and always lectures me about my hubby driving me around...and this whole thing just brings me down...i can't pursue a good job cause i would have to drive in a big city, i can't go see my friends cause i have to go through big cities to see any of them and etc...i wish there was some way to conquer this fear...

------------------
Rachel Leigh
"To really live, you must nearly die"-author unknown
April-may you always dance with the angels above

Old 05-16-2003, 09:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

hangtenvetter HB User
I saw your signature that said, "To really live, you must nearly die."

Maybe to overcome the fear, you need to have an accident.

Old 05-17-2003, 07:28 PM   #12

shea HB User
I wish I had those kind of phobias. Mine is about my child.

Old 05-17-2003, 08:21 PM   #13

val325 HB User
Smile

Hi all,
I also don't like dolls. I hated Barbie as a kid. I wanted a Cricket doll for some odd reason but at night I would only go to sleep if my parents put a bag over her head, since she was sitting in a chair in my room. I also don't like puppets. My grandmother brought home a mexican puppet for me from Acapulco many years ago and I refused to take it, it scared the crap out of me. No dolls, clowns or puppets for me. Very freaky objects.

Old 05-19-2003, 11:01 AM   #14
(female)

Sapphire926 HB User
I definately share my phobia with Lisa. I am deathly afraid of snakes!! I live in an area where it is extremely rare to see one, but Im still afraid. When I work in my garden Im always scoping out the area for one. Cant watch them on TV, cant look at pics of them, and God forbid if I happen upon them in a pet store. This all sounds querky and silly, but on the serious side, this phobia screws with my whole life.

My hubby and I have had plans of moving out of the city and building a house on a couple acres in the country. I am deathly afraid of that because I know there are more snakes out there. We cant move out of state without a thorough check, by me of course, of the snakes in that area. This fear rules my life and I hate it, but I dont know what to do to get over it.

I have heard of people going to special therapists that eventually make you hold one, but oh my GOD!! I would die right there in the office! If anyone has conquered this fear, let me know how you did it.

Thanks for letting me babble.

Saph

Old 05-19-2003, 10:30 PM   #15
Veteran

villagegal68455 HB User
i've been in 10 accidents that i can think of so i don't think that would help...my family says i have to start driving when i'm feeling uncomfortable...that way i can face my fears...
shea--what do you fear about your child...

btw--i love the quote i have in my siggy...heard it from a vietnam war vet...

------------------
Rachel Leigh
"To really live, you must nearly die"-author unknown

Closed Thread