It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

chronicworry HB Userchronicworry HB User
Question Fear of being sick in public

Hi guys,

About a few years ago I seemed to have developed a fear of being sick (digestion issues) in public. I was diagnosed with IBS, and now I fear being in the car because I instantly think I'm going to have some sort of stomach issue and have nowhere to go. This keeps me from going on long car rides and I refuse to travel. If anyone also suffers from this and has any tips, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
(female)

TrayC HB UserTrayC HB User
Re: Fear of being sick in public

Hello...

When my panic attacks first began, it started out just as you described. When I had my first panic attack back in the late 80's, I was at work. It just hit me out of the blue. My boss peeked his head around the corner and informed me he would be in the restroom for awhile, I said okay, and turned to get back to work.
Once I heard the door shut, my heart began to race and I had my first full blown panic attack.

For the next two weeks after that, I went down hill fast with what you have just described. I ended up having to quit my job at that time as well. I could not drive anywhere or go anywhere because the lingering fear of being sick in public and not having access to the restroom in time.

I don't know why my mind connected two such strange dots together - panic attacks & restrooms, which still hinder me to this day. I just posted about my latest episode in the thread I started entitled having a panic attack in Target.

Anyway, I know what youare going through....In the late 80's I tried to seek help, but then the medical community didn't know much about panic attacks and labled it stress.

I was given idea's by a counselor that helped me a lot with ideas, such as always having a large towel, papertowels and a large pot in the back seat just to have the "comfort" of knowing I have an emergency backup just in case. It helps me in the car but not in public places.

I also suffer from IBS, among other digestive issues. I know that fiber helps as well and when I pay attention to my diet, it helps a lot as well. I am also finding that processed foods and HFC syrup jack with my system as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread