It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

sarasota2004 HB User
I dont understand the fear of throwing up!????

My daughter who is 10 has just begun fearing throwing up. She got sick 2 days before xmas and ever since then, she's missed school, cries a lot and says her throat is tight, her stomach hurts... she keeps saying she is nervous of becoming nervous of what if I get sick in school??

We are going to see a therapist soon. My husband and I try so hard to comfort her and tell her she is NOT going to throw up... stop this! Nothing is wrong, she is fine!... But she says she cannot help the fear and feeling of worrying about it. This is so trying to us. I figured people could comment here... why can't you help this silly fear? You ARE NOT going to throw up. What if I could guarantee it!.. would you still fear it? i don't get it. I asked her why doesn't she fear anything else...?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
(female)

MCH307 HB User
Re: I dont understand the fear of throwing up!????

It's hard to explain if your not feeling it. I'm an adult, I know rationally there's no reason yo puke, yet I think every day, today may be the day! Phobias are silly to some one who doesn't have one, but to that person it's debilitating.

I'd get her into a therapist it's really no fun. My therapist helps me a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
(female)

mimi2many HB User
Unhappy Re: I dont understand the fear of throwing up!????

Hi, I just registered on this website and saw your post. I too have a daughter that is 14, freshman in hs, and this year she is really struggling. She is really having a hard time going to school, or anywhere else really. She says she is afraid she is going to throw up. She has anxiety and of course the anxiety flares up making her feel sick to her stomach therefore making her think she is going to throw up. she is seeing theraphist and on meds and working with the guidance counselor at school too. Any suggestions ? I feel so helpless..

Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
(female)

sophitia HB User

I sooooo understand what you are going through because I have this phobia. I've had it all my life but in the last 8 1/2 years it has been much worse. Everyday it's on my mind & at night it can be terrible because I always think to myself 'what if I puke?' 'What if I ate something bad?' I have a list of foods that I feel are safe to eat but I really do LIKE to eat. Two years ago I ate fish & a few hours later the nausea was sooooo awful. I was afraid to puke. In fact I had to make myself puke to get rid of the feeling of wanting to puke. Since then my phobia has gotten worse. Everyday that I eat I know I'm taking a risk. I really feel that those around me don't really understand me. I really HATE it when people say ' no one likes to be sick'. True BUT if would be wonderful if people could step into my shoes and experience for themselves this phobia.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
(female)

Callie 2 HB User

Both of my daughters suffer from it as well. My youngest developed it at 7 years old when someone in her class vomited. Things were very difficult for a long time. We could not get her to go back to school for quite sometime.
She is 10 now and doing so much better! Therapy did so much for her
Just like you, I do not have the phobia so it is impossible to understand for us.
Get a good therapist and be supportive, and it will get under control in time

Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
(female)

Rls1994 HB User

Umm... It's NOT her fault.. I also suffer from this huge fear of throwing up and it's absolutely horrible... I'm feeling sick an awful lot because of digestive problems and it's absolute torture. She obviously needs help and fast before it gets worse like mine has.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
(female)

LibbyCat HB User

I take a little issue with you calling it a "silly fear." I'm sorry but NO fear is silly to that person. I am an emetophobic and I can tell you it can control your whole life it's strong enough. Mine is, it's caused me to be hospitalized twice as a child and teen because I was afraid to eat. It affects every aspect of my life, working, going out to eat, my kids and family, my self esteem, etc. It emcompasses fears of embarrassment, loss of control, body sensations... Please try to understand your daughter and yes, definitely have her see a therapist. You can help immensely by being there for her and supporting her.

Reply Reply