It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

daniixoxo HB User
Unhappy Fear of Vomiting causing extreme panic attacks.

I have this thing that when ever im in a social situation, I start thinking about "oh my god what if i throw up" and then i start freaking out. The only thing that makes me feel better is if there is a bathroom close by or a trash can so if I do throw up in public no one can see it. So basiclly, whenever there isnt any near by and theres a bunch of people around i freak out thinking what if i were to puke in front of all these people. Today i went to the mall and i walked in a store, and looked around and saw no trash cans and the bathroom was all the way across the mall so i started having an extreme panic attack. i could feel my face go pale, and my mind was racing and i thought i was gonna pass out and i didnt know what to do, then i noticed i was carrying a shopping bag that if i did puke i could do it in there and my panic instantly went away... im a teenager & i feel ridiculous. i dont know what to do. im thinking of getting some sort of medication to help me. i cant see how talking to someone will help. i tried my mom & all she says is "you puke you puke no big deal" but its a huge deal to me, that would be so embarassing and i feel like i could never go anywhere with out throwing up. im to the point where i dont even want to go anywhere anymore. someone please help me & give me advice. or should i just carry around a bag everywhere i go? :/ any advice is appreciated. thanks guys.

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-24-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
(female)

AmericanPR434 HB User
Re: Fear of Vomiting causing extreme panic attacks.

I suffered from this when I was in my teenage year and even now at the age of 47 still panic sometimes from this. I have 3 daughter and all 3 have had the same fear at one time of their life. Talking to someone will really help you, I promise. It is strange how my girls went through the same thing that I did when they were also teenagers. I remember when I was young sleeping with a light on and a waste basket by my bed. When I walked in my girls rooms and saw the same thing, I couldn't believe it! By the way, just to help you, NEVER EVER once did I end up puking in public. My girls didn't either! Go talk to a therapist and you will find out that this is just a form of anxiety and it's very common! Hope this helps a bit.

The following user gives a hug of support to AmericanPR434:
daniixoxo (04-24-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

xjazx HB User

I suffer from the exact same feeling. Certain situations bring it on stronger than others... sometimes I am totally fine, sometimes I feel as if I am unable to do anything. I feel like I need an escape route (such as a bathroom, a door to the outside, a place where no one is, etc).... I suffer anxiety attacks, mostly due to the fear of having one in public, and more specifically, vomiting from it. It has only happened a handful of times, but it has happened, so I know that it could happen again, so it just feeds my fear.

I am here to talk if you need someone to talk to that shares your same feelings. I know I would love to communicate with someone that feels what i feel. No one around me understands. My husband does his best, he is supportive and willing to sit down with me and help me work through it no matter where we are.... but he still doesn't physically understand what I deal with. I would love to find a friend that understands!

Also, If you are finding a way to successfully deal with this, please share! I have delt with this for years, it became a problem around 17 years old... I am now 25 and still struggling. Your post is so familiar to what I go through, that I had to post. Hope to hear back from you.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

daniixoxo HB User
Lightbulb Re: Fear of Vomiting causing extreme panic attacks.

I totally forgot about this board haha. I'm happy to hear someone has the same feelings as me. Over the summer mine got even worse because I wasn't around people as much since school ended, and every time I would set to go some where with a friend I would be so scared to think of what they would do if I just ran off and hid in the bathroom because of a panic/vomit attack. It sucks alot because when I get nervous my throat gets really tight and it makes me gag, and I have thrown up before because of nerves, so like you said I know it can happen. Whenever I'm sitting with someone and talking or walking with someone the thought pops into my head that I will have to leave and throw up and eventually wont be able to go any where any more and won't have any friends because I keep leaving because I get sick. When I think about it, I feel like im going to faint. All the blood rushes down and I get sweats. It's so scary. I feel like I can't be myself anymore and i'm going to be a hermit hiding in my house. School just started again and I was so nervous over the summer of how i'm going to be able to sit in a class room with this fear, and not have to leave the class every 5 mins, or just not be able to come back because I can't handle being in a class. But so far I've been okay, I haven't really had the panic lately. I also fear i'll never be able to get a job or even get myself to go to an interview. What helps me though is thinking that if it ever gets out of hand I could get some sort of medication or something to help my gagging and i'd be fine. Or learning that other people have similiar stuff. This girl in my class constantly goes into the hall claiming she has a panic attack, and i've never had to do that, but it's really embarassing for her and I'm scared someday that will be me, but it makes me feel better other people go through the same things. Have you ever been on any kind of pills for it? I'm trying to avoid doing that though because I really don't want to have to take them for the rest of my life....

Old 08-26-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
(female)

xjazx HB User

Here is a link to my intro thread. Please feel free to read it, I mentioned the meds I've tried and my whole experience.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=865461

The same thing happens to me, it's not that I necessarily always feel super nauseous but the panic attack causes that gag feeling a lot of times, and on a few occasions has made me actually get sick... as much as my logical side of my brain tells me that I've had hundreds of panic attacks, some mild some more severe, some not a physical attack but just a state of being super anxious... and I've only gotten sick, 3-4 times? 2-3 of the times nothing even came out, just a little heaving. lol.... That's a VERY LOW chance of it happening, probably 1-2% chance... but then there's the irrational side saying... it's happened before it can/will happen again. Why is it that the irrational side is so much stronger than the rational side? It doesn't make sense that negativity out weighs positivity so much.

One thing that I've found helpful, is I do like to carry a bottle of water with me when I go somewhere. More often than not, swallowing the water helps relax the muscles in the throat... and swallowing is the opposite motion of vomiting. For me it usually helps, it's even turned into a comfort thing. Water is soothing on the stomach so it will never make you feel sicker, especially room temperature water versus icey cold water. I really feel that it helps the muscles in the throat the most. Helps reduce that gag sensation for me. Maybe you could try this and see if it helps you at all.

Closed Thread