It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

babyem HB User
Exclamation Needle phobias...

Ok, so I have a huge phobia of needles which started when I was 12 years old (nearly 9 years ago). It was brought on after my first epileptic seizure, when I was admitted to hospital for the first time (at the time I had a fear of hospitals) and had to have blood tests. They couldn't get blood out of the crease of my elbow, so took some out of the back of my hand, which was painful and made it more traumatic.

Because of my epilepsy I wasn't allowed to have my vaccinations at school with the rest of the people in my year, as it was too much of a risk to my health and others. I think that this also played a part in it, as it made me think something bad would happen if I did have an injection.

Now, it's got out of hand and is beginning to control aspects of my life. It sounds silly but I want to be a nurse, which I know I am more than capable of if I get rid of this stupid fear. I also have outstanding dental treatment (a filling) which I have cancelled 3 times as I can't face the idea of having an anaesthetic injection. When I was tole I had to have a filling, I froze in the chair and started crying and panicking.

Me and my partner are hopefully going to be trying for a baby after christmas, and I know I want to have one, but the fear of having to have an IV, injections, blood tests and possible surgery if there was an emergency terrifies me. I also have a major fear of surgery, which I may have to have for a different health problem.

My doctor referred me for CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) with the mental health team at the hospital, but I haven't heard back and this was about 5 months ago.

I need help, so any suggestions would be very much welcome!!
Thanks for reading such a long post Much appreciated x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread