It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
(female)

tweetyfeety HB User
Fear of Going to Doctors

As irrational as it sounds, I haven't been to a dr. for a check-up for about 12 yrs. I'm 53 and know better, but cannot seem to talk myself into making the appt. I did have foot surgery a few months back and was not afraid about those appts. The cause of my phobia seems to center on embarassment, even though in reality I know the drs have seen & heard it all. Now it just keeps getting worse because the longer I wait, the more tests & procedures I'll have to go through!! Help!!

The following user gives a hug of support to tweetyfeety:
Dreamscaper (09-19-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Lightbulb Re: Fear of Going to Doctors

When I was a little kid I was scared to death of going to the doctor/dentist. As an adult, I still get anxious when I go to them but it's not the intense fear I had as a kid. It always turns out to be less of an ordeal than I thought it would be going in. I guess I'm afraid they're going to find something seriously wrong with me but they never do. I don't fear needles or anything like that, just a general dread of going to the doctor. Just keep telling yourself it's going to be OK.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Furter For This Useful Post:
tweetyfeety (02-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
(female)

tweetyfeety HB User
Re: Fear of Going to Doctors

Well I finally went, and yes- the amount of tests & appointments generated by this one is incredible!! Hoping it's worth it in the end! So far the best thing was getting medication to help some of the pain! Thanks Frank, for your encouragement

Old 09-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Wink Re: Fear of Going to Doctors

You're welcome. Hope everything works out for you.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
(female)

Dreamscaper HB User

I share your exact same fear! I am older than you are, and haven't had a physical for three years. I am very afraid that the doctor will want to put me on some medication that will have horrible side effects, since I am allergic or hypersensitive to most meds, some supplements and foods. I am determined to find a doctor who is more sympathetic to my concern about holistic healing and allergies. In the meantime, I make appointments for family members, and little by little am trying to overcome this phobia. I still go to the dentist twice a year (I would be afraid NOT to!). Perhaps the best way to overcome this phobia is the same way that other phobias are dealt with, feeling the fear and doing it anyway! Desensitization exercises, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). Finding a good doctor is somewhat like finding a mate! Don't rush into it! I hope you are able to overcome your fear soon! Wishing you good health and happiness!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamscaper For This Useful Post:
tweetyfeety (02-06-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
(male)

macmonkey HB User
Talking Re: Fear of Going to Doctors

Tweety,

I was right there with you. I had an EXTREME fear of this. I did not go to the Dr. for 9 years due to my extreme fear of them, needles, embarrassment, being diagnosed and everything in the middle.

I began feeling very poor physically and emotionally and was absolutely going crazy about my fear. My father got very sick and was in the hospital for 19 days last year and had 10 blood draws a day and I would run to the fire escape stairs and literally cry due to my feelings towards the situation. I was even looking at suicide as a way out of the situation.

I then came to my senses and realized that I had a very sick perspective of the whole thing. I decided to simply find a fix for my problem.

1) I bought the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook which really helped me identify with a lot of what I was going through.

2) I went to see a psychologist. He was really good at the start but then I realized he was just a quack and was taking my money. I would suggest this step immediately - even though mine was bad and didn't really care about helping me there are those out there that will do anything in their power to help you (including working with a Dr's office to help you - ie. stay open late so you can avoid embarrassment of other patients, perhaps let you talk on the phone with Dr or Nurses to discuss some of your fears etc...)

3) I specifically addressed my needle phobia by doing something completely crazy - I went and had acupuncture done. I called around and found a group that is run by some Angels... they were extremely comforting and let me have control every step of the way.. These needles didn't hurt at all and I still go for some R&R.

4) When ready make the appointment on your terms. Find a Dr. highly recommended by your family and friends. They are out there. Let's face it some are MUCH better than others. I found one that is extremely understanding of my situation and allows me to feel like I'm the one in control which was the root of my problem. Dr's understand that people absolutely hate them but in the end there are some really special ones around that can do wonders in this situation.

5) Make the appointment and go. I avoided the Dr. for 9 years and have had 6 blood tests, a physical, a heart stress test, an endoscopy (they put me under) and a few general nurse visits while they address all of my little cricks and pains I've accumulated. It turns out I'm much healthier than I thought and I'm absolutely loving life now. It will do wonders to your spirit when you are able to come to grips with your problem.

I hope for the best with you and please feel free to direct message me if you'd like to discuss my situation specifically.

Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to macmonkey:
tweetyfeety (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
(female)

tweetyfeety HB User

Thank you so much for your support. I've had so many appts, and they seem to keep generating more! I'm actually having a hard time fitting them in on my days off work, but trying to stick with the plan. This week I go for a ecocardiogram "with bubble", due to mt neurontin causing heart palpitations. Then the dr discovered I have a 1/2 beat, hence the test this week! The one I REALLY dread is the colonoscopy!! Can't get myself to do that one ;( Anyway, Macmonkey, I sure hope your (& your Dad's ) situation has improved- Thanks again

Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Don't worry about the colonoscopy at all. I worried myself sick only to find that I had nothing to be afraid of.

Be Well.

~Belle~

Closed Thread

Tags
afraid, mental health, phobia