It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

Nellykins HB User
Unhappy Fear of Veins?

I actually only created an account here for the autistic threads lol I was recently diagnosed but I see so many other useful threads I thought I might as well join in more!

Ever since I can remember I have had a SEVERE phobia of veins and arteries. Thinking about them, seeing them, talking about them, having blood taken etc. even the word VEIN makes me start panicing like crazy, I breath heavily, I sweat, in severe cases I can break down and cry, but I have NEVER met anyone else with this fear, is it just me? do you know anyone else with this fear? I'm very much aware I have these ewwy things inside me lol it's why I have to wear wrist and leg warmers to hide the noticeable veins on my ankles and wrists, even if something touches that patch of skin where the vein is showing, I freak out... I'm getting restless just talking about it...

I've been to doctors and psychologists, no one can seem to stop it, it is rather life altering lol it gets very annying in summer when you're roasting hot but have these leg and arm warmers on!

Any advice is more than welcomed! even to just hear you know of anyone who has the same or similar fears!

The Following User Says Thank You to Nellykins For This Useful Post:
waynekc (01-19-2012)
Old 10-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Unhappy Re: Fear of Veins?

I've never heard of this. That is an odd phobia. Since phobias are a type of anxiety disorder I would say that you should try treating it like any anxiety disorder. Talk to your doctor about antidepressants, these can work wonders for phobias. You'll have to take it several weeks before you get the full benefit of it. For short term relief, try a tranquilizer like Xanax. This will take the edge of your anxiety for a few hours. Try to stay busy to take your mind off your fears.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
(female)

meltedtoast HB User
Re: Fear of Veins?

I have been having anxiety over veins lately. I hate that I can see them running through me. It makes me panic and I also feel as though I personally shouldn't have them. I question why they're there, I'm looking for an answer as to what is wrong too. I don't want to go to a doctor because I feel silly. But when the anxiety kicks in I feel like having veins and seeing them means I'm going to die, it's horrible.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
(male)

waynekc HB User

Well, created this account just so I cld tell ya I have the exact same thing lol never saw a doc or anything for it n I've only told a couple friends but the way you describe it, its 100% the same thing. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

nypdbabe HB User
Post Re: Fear of Veins?

Hi, i also have a phobia of veins...
My name is Ginny Luna Lucksberg. I hate veins. I can't look at them, talk about them or anything like that. Im getting kinda stressy just sitting here. Reading the other posts were hard to but i had some water and am ok. If anyone can help me deal with it I would really appreciate it.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
(female)

KaraMarie98 HB User

From what I have been told; they don't know of a way to help terminate this fear. Since before I was even in school I couldnt stand the sight of veins. But each year, my phobia increases. I can barely go with typing the word without cringing. I have talked to sevreal doctors, and each one basically told me 'oh well'. But I suggest not researching it and looking at all the sites; most of them just appear to look like they help. Then, once you click one them, the show a lot of pictures of veins. Which may help you... But it doesn't help most people with this kind of phobia.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
(female)

AmyXX HB User

I had the most traumatic day.
I needed a blood test. I have no problem with blood and needles, but I have a fear of veins (it's hard to even type the word). The second I look at the tourniquet, i start to panic. As soon as the strap comes off, i'm fine.

Today the nurse messed up one arm and halfway through drawing the blood, she said she had to stop cause no more blood was coming out.

So I had to do the horrible process all over again.
My hands feel weird just typing this story.

I really don't understand this fear, but it makes me sick.
If i find my bf has veins on his p****, i will find another boyfriend. It's that bad. I've had it since I was a kid. Has anyone managed to get over this??

Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
(female)

Kelliiana HB User

Hey, I was just searching a phobia of veins on a whim and found little else but this forum! Anyways, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this fear. I've been horrified of veins (and arteries) since I was a little kid. Seeing them, talking about them, or thinking about them too much made me feel sick. Once, when I had to have an IV, I nearly freaked out and barely resisted the urge to pull it out. I panicked for an hour once it had been removed. Blood was fine, even cool, but I just could not handle veins.
BUT, since my dream is to become a doctor (more specifically a surgeon), I realized I had to work harder on getting rid of my phobia. It's been years, and I have slowly but surely gotten more control over my phobia. I can look (even touch!) my veins and others without panicking. I've been able to learn how veins and arteries work, and continue my studies.
I've had a few relapses, (including, I'm sad to say, a panic attack a year ago during class involving a powerpoint about them), and sometimes I still do get nervous or anxious. But I've done a lot better. I've given blood six times, and the times were I get nervous are becoming fewer and farther between.
Since I've seen some of you guys have the same problem, I thought maybe I'd share with you what I did to help? That's part of why I've joined this anyway. Having this phobia is really horrible, especially since it seems to be rare, or not talked about a lot at least.
Here are some things I've done over the years to help with my phobia. I should note, not everyone is the same and things that worked for me might not work for you. And also remember, it takes time! It's impossible to get over this overnight, but NOT impossible to move passed it! Also, remember to be patient and pace yourself!
-I tried to accustom myself to bloody videos. For me, it wasn't so much the blood as the veins and artieries, and if it's the same for you this might be a good start. This can be anything from horror movies (I recommend silly ones that are not meant to be actually scary, or even medically accurate) to medical surgery shows: in the same genre as Mystery Diagnoses.
-Try to love your veins. I know. This is very very hard. But I find trying to treat your veins as a friend, as a part of you, instead of something alien, can really help. This is kind of embarrassing for me to say, but (especially when I'm feeling nervous about them), I lightly kiss the veins on my wrist and arm. It reassure me that, yes they are there, and no they won't harm me. They are a part of me that belong there.
-Poke your veins. Not hard. But poke them. They are not as weak as they seem.
-When you feel like you're ready, try and follow where your veins. See where they go in your body, and lightly trace them. I find that the arms feel the safest for me (I still have trouble with the veins in my ankle), but it might be different for you.
-Learn about your veins! How do they, and your arteries, work? This one took me a while, since just reading the words used to make me sick. But knowledge is power! The more you know about what they do and how they work, the more you'll know what they can't do. This can help if you especially have specific worries about what might happen because of and/or to your veins.
-Reading, writing, and saying the words! Don't let the taboo of the name have power, like Voldemort! Say the words over and over until they become just a sound, and not a power to be held over your head.
Hey, if you've read this far, you've already done a lot! I've written (and you've read) the word 'veins' a bunch of times!
(even if you've had to take a break, or stopped for a moment, that's okay).
That's the general, most helpful, things I did. REMEMBER: Take your time. It will be baby steps. (This guide is a summary of what I've learned and had to think up for about 4-6 years). The important thing is that you keep trying, and take strength in little victories. It's unlikely that you'll be able to do all these things right away. Try to do them, and work on whichever one is the least hard and try to work up from there.
Anyways...I hope this helps. Even if just a little. If you've read all this, thank you! And good luck!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
(female)

beckayxx HB User
Talking Re: Fear of Veins?

Thank God Im Not The Only One!! Mah Best Friends Teased Me bout It And I Start Laughing Nervously Until I Nearly Pass Out
Im not afraid of injections on muscle or fat (hehehehee ''fat'' ) :L
Just on veins :S
even touching veins makes me so diiiizzzyy :S
I hate it!! D:
(The worst thing is there evverywhherree )

Reply Reply