HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Phobias (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/phobias/)
-   -   agorophia, fear of going out (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/phobias/893209-agorophia-fear-going-out.html)

carlos20 03-14-2012 04:48 PM

agorophia, fear of going out

Hello, people my name is carlos 20 years old, and I think I am suffering from agorophobia I suffer panic and anxiety attack when I go out of my house, I have symptoms such as sweating hands, heart-beating fast, light-headed feeling, breathless and it all goes away when I come back home, what should I do? how do I deal with it? I went to a doctor already and he precibed me some pill revotril to calm axniety and all that and it worked, but now that he withdrew it, the problem came back, please help any suggestion accepted, thanks.

gothling 05-01-2012 05:46 PM

Re: agorophia, fear of going out

Hi Carlos, I suffered from agoraphobia for many years, thankfully I got over it, so I sympathize with you, can you go back to the doctor and get back on the treatment, or go to another doctor and develop a long term plan?. If you like I will share with you how I got over it

mrsnowballs 08-25-2012 04:45 PM

share how you got over it I have this 2.

crookedhearts 08-28-2012 10:06 PM

Carlos and mrs snows,
See your doctors and ask for therapy! This is a mental condition that is recognized and covered. If you cannot leave the house then email them or call them and explain the problem. Personally, I've never had Agoraphobia (i've had bad social anxiety) but I know that it's debilitating and the longer you wait, the worse it'll get. You can't let your fear and anxiety rule you like this.

I know it's hard, but the way that anxiety like this is treated is that you are going to have to work with someone and "practice" leaving the house little by little. Each time you do it, you might experience a panic attack, but you'll also eventually realize that there's no reason to be anxious so it'll get easier and easier. It's all about baby steps and you just have to force yourself to get through it. I hope you guys find the help that you need.

Roger13 12-03-2012 08:31 AM

[QUOTE=crookedhearts;5047296]Carlos and mrs snows,
See your doctors and ask for therapy! This is a mental condition that is recognized and covered. If you cannot leave the house then email them or call them and explain the problem. Personally, I've never had Agoraphobia (i've had bad social anxiety) but I know that it's debilitating and the longer you wait, the worse it'll get. You can't let your fear and anxiety rule you like this.

I know it's hard, but the way that anxiety like this is treated is that you are going to have to work with someone and "practice" leaving the house little by little. Each time you do it, you might experience a panic attack, but you'll also eventually realize that there's no reason to be anxious so it'll get easier and easier. It's all about baby steps and you just have to force yourself to get through it. I hope you guys find the help that you need.[/QUOTE]
"Each time you do it, you might experience a panic attack..." Well, I spend the better part of my time avoiding panic attacks. They put me (almost immediately) to long and prolonged sleep, and there have been times when I came very close to not being able to come home after experiencing one of these attacks. (I also suffer social anxiety) I feel pretty useless, to tell the truth. And I have nobody to work with to help. No family, friends nearby. I'm now considering CBT, but at this point know very little about it.