It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
(female)

Sleepyhollow HB User
Fear of storms/tornados

For as long as I have known... I have a major fear/phobia of thunderstorms/tornados. Once the thunderstorm has begun, my anxiety level goes way down and I'm fine but if I see dark clouds approaching I begin to panic. My heart begins to beat really quickly, my chest tightens up, I feel like I need to throw up and I begin to cry. I have hidden under my blankets with my music basting away just to keep my mind off of the storm that is about to approach. I constantly check the weather forecasts to see what's coming (if there's a storm about to hit). I don't know why I'm so terrified of them and I'd do anything to get over this phobia.

My husband tells me it's not healthy to be afraid of something I have no control over - unfortunately that doesn't help me. Once the storm begins I could care less but it's the dark clouds... The fear of the unknown... What if a tornado pops
out of the clouds? I know it's silly but I'm really not sure what I can do. I have also tried anxiety drugs to help calm myself but those only help so much and don't have me getting over the fear. I have had a few close calls where we have been under tornado watches and some have hit 30 minutes from the city I'm in. We had a thunderstorm tonight and the clouds alone sent me into a panic attack! Help!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Fear of storms/tornados

It seems to me that fear of tornadoes and major storms is quite reasonable. People get killed and injured all the time. If it were me I would fix a "safe place", for example, bedding under a table, or beside your bed on the floor and hide there until your fear goes. Don't worry about this fear. It does not seem to be impacting too much on your life, or stopping you from doing anything, is it? Go with the flow. Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread