It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
(male)

macmonkey HB User
Wife Seises when giving blood

Greetings,

**I was not sure where to post this problem so please suggest an alternate if Phobia isn't the right board**

Whenever my wife has lab tests she passes out and then it's like she seises.

No matter how big of a deal we make it for the doctor and nurses her lab tests always include a simple "We'll just lie you down on this bed" and next thing we know the crash team is running in and covering her in hot / cold packs.

This has unfortunately lead her to understandably dread this process.. problem is she's going in 2 days for her first pregnancy round of labs.

I believe her issue is an equal amount of vasovagal response and phobic response but I'm curious to see if anyone knows of something that may help. I've seen in hospitals they have those things that help circulate blood. Would this perhaps help to keep her BP from crashing?

I was hoping someone with some experience may chime in and help out with our little problem.

Thank You

Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Wife Seises when giving blood

There is such a thing as a vasovagal syncope seizure. It's not a "real" seizure, there's no abnormal electronic activity in the brain, it's just the sudden and drastic drop in blood pressure.

Definitely, make sure she's lying down with her legs elevated before they start. That helps keep blood pressure up. Bands on the legs do the same thing. Drinking water and eating salt beforehand can also help prevent fainting. If they want a fasting blood glucose test while she's pregnant, that's too bad, they can't have it.

Have the doctors caring for her pregnancy seen this from her before? I would make sure that, if they haven't, they get documentation from someone who has.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
macmonkey (07-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply