It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
(female)

chelle469 HB User
Afraid to Eat! - Phobia of Anaphylaxis

Ok, I'm new to this forum posting thing, but here it goes with my first post...

I know this sounds strange, but I am absolutely terrified of having an allergic reaction and going into anaphylactic shock! I am afraid of everything, from medication to soaps and perfumes, but especially foods. The crazy thing is, I've never even had an allergic reaction before! Not only am I afraid to eat anything new, but I'm afraid of foods I've eaten a hundred times because I've heard you can suddenly develop new allergies at any time in your life. I think going to an allergist and getting tested would put my mind at ease, but I don't have enough money to go and see one to get tested.

I was wondering if anyone on here could give me some good advice or some real statistics on this. Does anyone know how likely it is to suddenly develop an allergy to foods as an adult? What percentage of people suddenly develop allergic reactions, and out of those that do, how many are severe enough to be life threatening? If anyone else has had the same fear, do you have any suggestions for getting over it? It's ruining my life! I won't go out to eat anymore, and I've restricted my diet to so few foods that I'm losing dangerous amounts of weight. I'm not sure what to do, and I don't know anyone else that has this problem. I feel so alone with this, and I'm just looking for some good advice and someone who understands. I have seen a therapist, but we haven't made any progress on this phobia so far, although she's been a help with some of my other anxiety problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

daisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB User
Re: Afraid to Eat! - Phobia of Anaphylaxis

I don't think phobias always find comfort in statistics. I have a few myself that defy logic. I'm sure there are plenty of resources online or in the library that you might access. Based on my (unscientific) knowledge, however, generally allergies occur after a few, limited exposures to a substance or food. They are not likely to occur after hundreds of exposures. I think this is well-documented but I'm sorry I cannot give you specific facts.

Perhaps you might start by re-introducing one food item at a time that you have enjoyed in the past for years without any trouble. These items are likely very safe for you and will help improve your nutrition.

My phobias limit my life socially & professionally but do not impede my health. I hope & pray you will find some comfort & improvement in your situation. Keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to daisymae55 For This Useful Post:
chelle469 (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
(female)

daisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB User

I don't think phobias always find comfort in statistics. I have a few myself that defy logic. I'm sure there are plenty of resources online or in the library that you might access. Based on my (unscientific) knowledge, however, generally allergies occur after a few, limited exposures to a substance or food. They are not likely to occur after hundreds of exposures. I think this is well-documented but I'm sorry I cannot give you specific facts.

Perhaps you might start by re-introducing one food item at a time that you have enjoyed in the past for years without any trouble. These items are likely very safe for you and will help improve your nutrition.

My phobias limit my life socially & professionally but do not impede my health. I hope & pray you will find some comfort & improvement in your situation. Keep us posted.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
(female)

chelle469 HB User

That's a good idea, and something I've actually been trying the last few days. Today I tried two foods that I haven't eaten in months, and although I feel ok now, I'm still worried about delayed reactions. I know I need to eat a more varied diet, and you're right, if I've eaten them hundreds of times, chances are they should be ok. Thank you so much for your prayers and support. I am working every day to overcome this, and I must keep believing that I will succeed eventually.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
(female)

Cattyx23 HB User

Hi im having the same troubles i wont eat anythink!! Literally nothing im starving myself because im so scared of a reaction ( anaphlyactic ). Ive no known food allergies and never had a reaction to anything but im afraid it will just happen. Ive lost 2 stone in about 6 weeks due to not eating. Everone keeps telling me to just eat and nothing will happen but my anxiety starts wenever i try something my throat feels tight i get a dru tickly cough and i get itchy all signs of a reaction!!im so scared im going to end up really ill but i cant help it!!! Any advice would be grateful x

Reply Reply

Tags
allergic reaction, anaphylaxis, anixety, phobia