It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
(female)

threedaysgrace HB User
Unhappy Hi everyone... Fear of vomiting in public?

Sorry if this is in the wrong "section" or whatever... I'm new here lol.

Anyway, I have a fear of getting sick in public or at a friend's house or something. I guess the fear is about being humiliated in public if I ever get sick around people. When I'm alone at home, I feel totally fine...

It all started with bowel issues... whenever I got nervous, I needed to *go* badly. I was scared of not being able to make it to a bathroom in time, being somewhere where there IS no bathroom, etc. I have that under control now, somewhat, as long as I'm somewhere where a bathroom is near.

Several months ago, the fear of vomiting popped up. Whenever I start to think about it, or feel the slightest bit of discomfort in my stomach, I feel nauseous. I think it's all in my head but I just don't know how to think *happy thoughts*. It's ruining my life. I'm 18 years old, and due to the bowel issues and fear of vomiting, I still don't have a job because I'm terrified to leave my house. Even to go to the doctor or counseling or something. I would love to get a job and I am so frustrated because this anxiety crap is holding me back. It's depressing.

Does anyone else suffer from this? Any advice? I don't want to be like this for the rest of my life.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
(female)

Zipity HB User
Re: Hi everyone... Fear of vomiting in public?

You will not be like this the rest of your life, I promise. You sound exactly like me. I was a senior in high school and for whatever reason I started to fear having to go to the bathroom during class and not making it to the bathroom. Then of course the fear made my stomach feel worse, which then fed the fear. Vicious cycle. I started going to the nurse and missibg classes. It wasn't until I finally went to my parents and told them I needed to see a doctor that I finally got better. I went on Zoloft and it worked pretty well. I still had some issues in college but it got better. Then, just like you, the vomiting fear started. I'm on Zoloft still (with a few breaks in between, one being when I was pregnant) I don't fear leaving my house anymore, but I still do fear vomit if I'm confronted with it. If I hear someone mention they were just sick, I have to know what kind of sick, a cold, or stomach virus. My son has been sick a few times. I was able to make it through with the help of my supportive husband. He doesn't get the phobia but he's supportive as he can be.
I'm also in a group on facebook that's really supportive and helpful. If I'm ever panicking about something I can post about it and they all help talk me down to reality. It's nice to have people around that truly understand.
Good luck. I promise you things will get better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply