It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
(female)

Rls1994 HB User
Exclamation Any emetophobics had an endoscopy done?

I'm a HUGE emetophobic (intense fear of vomiting) and I've got an endoscopy this Wednesday. I'm soo scared that I am going to gag like mad and possibly be sick as I've heard that some people actually have from it.

They haven't told me to fast for some reason but I am not going to eat for at least 14 hours before the procedure just in case. The appointment is in the afternoon which is even worse.. So I have to go through the whole morning and half of the afternoon without eating.

Anyway, if you're an emetophobe like me, and have had an endoscopy then could you share your experience with it? Thanks.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Re: Any emetophobics had an endoscopy done?

I don't have a fear of vomiting, but my gag reflex is in overdrive. It doesn't take much to set me off. I've had at least 5 endoscopies, and one endoscopic ultrasound and I can honestly say it wasn't a problem. Are you going to have twilight medication? They inserted the IV, and once I got into the procedure room they started the medication. That was it...the next thing I knew I was in recovery and ready to go home. I don't even remember opening my mouth, much less having the scope inserted. I hope yours goes as well. Be sure to let your doctor know how fearful you are. It helps them to have a compliant patient, not one in a panic. Sending you well wishes for your procedure!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

Rls1994 HB User

Thank you gingertea. It's lovely to hear positive experiences with endoscopies. Do you have to call them beforehand if you want to be sedated or do you just go to the hospital and they give you it before the procedure if you ask for it there? My Dad has had one before and he says it's very easy and doesn't remember anything of it also.

I hate being the biggest wimp ever when it comes to medical procedures.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I would call the doctor TODAY and find out if they plan on using the medication that puts you asleep, or at least unaware of what's going on. There are some eating and drinking restrictions you need to follow. The place I go to always gives me the list beforehand. I would insist on knowing what to expect and what type of drug they use.

I have heard of endoscopies being done where they spray your throat to numb it and then have you swallow the tube. Those are probably the horror stories you've heard. If you can't get in touch with the doctor, there should be a nurse that can answer your questions. If you are uncomfortable with anything they tell you I would postpone the procedure until your doctor can meet with you and explains what it involves. Tell them your fears, they're there to help you and they wouldn't want you to be a nervous wreck!
It's your right as a patient to have the process explained to your satisfaction.

Hopefully they can answer your questions by telephone and verbally give you the eating and drinking instructions. I can relate to being a wimp for any procedure....I have a hysteroscopy/D & C procedure this Wednesday, and you can bet I made sure I was going to be asleep!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
(female)

marshmello HB User

I know that my post is VERY late but I wanted to share my experience. I'm also an extreme emetophobe and had an upper endoscopy done several years ago. I too was terrified of the procedure but had to have it due to constant unexplained nausea. Anyway, before the procedure they sprayed my throat with an awful tasting substance then sedated me. I went right to sleep BUT awoke during the start of the procedure as the doc was inserting the tube. I remember gagging/choking and trying to pull the tube back out. I heard the doc say "No, No, No" as he forced it back in. I don't remember anything after that. Maybe they hit me over the head to knock me back out. LOL! I don't know. Hopefully, your experience was smoother.

Reply Reply

Tags
emetophobia, scared of sick