It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 07:38 AM   #1

redmapletree HB User
Pituitary Adenoma

I am cross-posting this here as well as on the Thyroid board.

I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago as being hypothyroid.

A very small amount of synthroid (.75) worked to keep my level at 1.7 and I was feeling great. Continued to get my levels checked every three months through my family doctor. Didn't see an endo because we were able to get it under control so easily.

A little over three months ago I started noticing some physical changes that I'm too old for! Increased breast size and lactation (I've had my kids and there is no way I'm pregnant). I went to my GYN and she orderd a prolactin test and an MRI.

The MRI shows a 2mm pituitary adenoma. I understand that it is very small and that most pitiutary adenomas are prolactin secreting (mine is not) and non-cancerous.

At the same time the prolactin test was done a T4 was done and my TSH was up to 14. She sent me to an endo the next week. He increased my synthroid to 1.

I went back last week to have it checked again and it is now at 29.551 and the synthroid has been increased to 1.5.

Any ideas on how common a TSH secreting pitiutary adenoma is? What questions should I be asking my doctor.

Thanks, Sharon

Old 12-22-2003, 10:20 AM   #2

Gingerly HB User
Re: Pituitary Adenoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmapletree
I am cross-posting this here as well as on the Thyroid board.

I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago as being hypothyroid.

A very small amount of synthroid (.75) worked to keep my level at 1.7 and I was feeling great. Continued to get my levels checked every three months through my family doctor. Didn't see an endo because we were able to get it under control so easily.

A little over three months ago I started noticing some physical changes that I'm too old for! Increased breast size and lactation (I've had my kids and there is no way I'm pregnant). I went to my GYN and she orderd a prolactin test and an MRI.

The MRI shows a 2mm pituitary adenoma. I understand that it is very small and that most pitiutary adenomas are prolactin secreting (mine is not) and non-cancerous.

At the same time the prolactin test was done a T4 was done and my TSH was up to 14. She sent me to an endo the next week. He increased my synthroid to 1.

I went back last week to have it checked again and it is now at 29.551 and the synthroid has been increased to 1.5.

Any ideas on how common a TSH secreting pitiutary adenoma is? What questions should I be asking my doctor.

Thanks, Sharon
Hi Sharon,

I have been diagnosed with a 2mm microadenoma on my pitituary gland too. The doctors told me not to worry about it unless I start lactating - then it would have to be removed. It sounds like yours is at that stage. Are you really fatigued with it? Be your own advocte and do some research to take with you to the doctor. If it were me, I would want it removed so your symptoms will disappear and you can function normally again. I'm just waiting to lactate, which will be my signal to get it removed.
Regards,
Gingerly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2003, 04:51 PM   #3

redmapletree HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerly
Hi Sharon,

I have been diagnosed with a 2mm microadenoma on my pitituary gland too. The doctors told me not to worry about it unless I start lactating - then it would have to be removed. It sounds like yours is at that stage. Are you really fatigued with it? Be your own advocte and do some research to take with you to the doctor. If it were me, I would want it removed so your symptoms will disappear and you can function normally again. I'm just waiting to lactate, which will be my signal to get it removed.
Regards,
Gingerly
Mine is non-prolactin secreting which means mine won't cause lactation. So they blamed the lactation on medication I was taking.

How did they discover yours?

I'm exhausted with this thing and I feel anxious all the time. However, since I'm also hypothyroid I don't know which is causing the problem or if it's both of them together.

I go back to the doctor in 3 weeks and have lots of questions for him.

Sharon

Last edited by redmapletree; 12-28-2003 at 04:58 PM.

Old 03-29-2004, 11:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerly
Hi Sharon,

Regards,
Gingerly
Hi Gingerly, my niece has to for an MRI due to 'lactation.' She has been leaking milk from her nipples for a few years and it is getting worse. So it sounds like they may find a tumor that needs to be removed at this point? I know I shouldn't be asking you such a direct question. She needs to have those tests done. Any info would help. thanks.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:19 AM   #5

mellamella HB User

I would encourage all of you to look into testing for Cushing's Syndrome especially if you:

1. Are rapidly gaining weight

2. Have large purple to pink stretch marks

3. Are fatigued

4. Have inapporpriate hair growth on your faces (if women)

5. Have what is called a "buffalo hump" this hump is actually an abnormal
accumulation of fat on the top of your back where your neck connects to
the rest of your body

6. Have high blood pressure

7. Have weight gain that seems to be centralized around your tummy

Closed Thread