It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 05:36 AM   #1

SpeisFamily HB User
Question Pituitary Gland Tumor ?

OK, here's my story and question, it's long so let me take a breath, and yes it does have to do with by pituitary gland.....

I decided, immaturely, to get pregnant at 16 so stopped taking the pill. Well I didn't have a period for 1 1/2 years, thank God. During this time I would have this really strange thing happen that none of my Dr's could figure out. One of my pupils would get very large, dialated, while the other was normal. It would come and go, very strange. I would have severe migrains and nothing the Dr's gave me seemed to work. Found that of everything the Dr's gave me, buying Aleve at the store worked the best. Then I was in a car accident and began to bleed. About a month later I was pregnant. First beautiful daughter was born.

Got on BC after the birth and was normal. Then, at 20, I decided it was time for another baby. Got off the pill and within a couple of "normal" months I was pregnant. Well it didn't last long. I miscarried at 10 weeks So I tried again immediately and had on and off periods but got pregnant within 6 months of the miscarriage. Second beautiful daughter is born.

After giving birth to my second daughter I got on the pill again. About a year later I was having extreme bleeding and such horrible cramps I left work crying. They changed my pill a couple of times with no success and discovered, through a hysteroscopy (camera through vagina into uterus) and laperoscpy (camera through cut in belly button to view outside of uterus) and several ultrasounds that I had fibroid tumors in my uterus. They preformed a D&C and since then I have not had any pain and my periods went back to "normal" with the pill.

And that leads us to where I am now. 27 and trying to get pregnant again. I stopped taking the pill a year ago and have only had one period. I have also been having the annoying dialation in my left eye again. Everything goes blurry and I look like a freak, my hair is shedding like a dog which is strange since now it seems to be growing on my upper lip, never had to wax that before , I get terrrible migrains about once a week, I feel foggy and can't remeber things which just reverses at night when I can't sleep because I can't stop thinking about things, I am very tired during the day, I have been very moody and emotional, I have gained 40 pounds in the past year, I am natious, feel like the room is spinning at times, and the other day I had a wet spot around my nipple. And again a negative home pregnancy test, what is wrong with me? I went to the eye Dr to get a new prescription, both of my eyes are usually the same RX but this time my left eye was worse. They dialated my eyes and did the eye exam again, this time my eyes were the same. Weird huh?

I went to the doctors and they did alot of blood tests, again negative pregnancy, but the Dr said that there was something strange. One test showed that I was about to ovulate and another test showed that I was in post menopause, did I mention that I was only 27? Thyroid tests came back normal and now my Dr has ordered a CAT scan of my brain. He is pretty sure I have a tumor on my pituitary gland. That's great, I just wanted to get pregnant, not have brain surgery.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, does anyone here have a problem similar to mine or know anyone who has. I just don't know what to expect. I am scared. Are these really symptoms of a pituitary tumor?

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 08-04-2004 at 05:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #2

worryworttx HB User
Re: Pituitary Gland Tumor ?

From what I understand about that type of surgery (or at least last year when I was having a problem with my breast secreting blood, they said that it could be from my pituitary not functioning right) is usually done through your nose and no major brain operation...although that was only my experience and I didn't have to had the surgery. But I did find out everything I could on it and one of the cheerleading coaches at my daughters school actually had the surgery and had to have chemo and radiation because hers' was the cancerous type, not saying that yours is at all.

Good luck and get a 2nd. opion as well.

Bec

Old 08-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #3

SpeisFamily HB User

Bec, thanks a ton, I really know nothing about all of this. To know that it is done through the nose makes me feel a little better about it all. I was so worried they would have to cut all my hair off and I would have a scar that would never grow hair. This is so scary and even more scary when you don't know anything about it. Thanks

Old 08-11-2004, 07:03 AM   #4

SpeisFamily HB User

Well, I got my MRI done, thought it was going to be a CAT scan, but it wasn't. A bit freaky, felt like someone was pounding on my head the whole time. Unfortunately now the waiting game begins. They could not tell me anything, have to wait until my appointment with the Dr who ordered the MRI which isn't until the 23rd. I hate the not knowing

Old 08-11-2004, 08:44 AM   #5
(female)

DannDees HB User

chrisq on the addisons board has alot of knowledge on the pituitary gland. It is the master gland that effects ALOT in your body. If you find you do have this you should go to the addisons board and talk to him. He is very nice and can help with most of your questions..The surgery by the way is through the nose. I actually found a site with video of the surgery itself. Looks fairly simple..good luck to you.

Closed Thread