It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 07:21 AM   #1

marnic HB User
Pituitary has shut down?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board. I haven't come across anyone with this problem and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or comments for me. I"m 36 and stopped the bcp 3 years ago and haven't had a period since. I've tried Provera twice since then with no luck. I've just taken it for the third time and am waiting to see if anything happens.

Doctors have tested me for everything and determined that my pituitary has shut down. They recommend my gaining at least 10 lbs. I've always eaten a healthy high fiber, low fat diet and exercise regularly only to have it backfire on me! I"m not underweight for my height and have never skipped a meal in my life so this is a bit frustrating. I"m having more of a hard time gaining the weight from a mental standpoint and even wonder if that's really the problem. I'm ready to start a family now and but this is quite an obstacle.

My husband and I have gathered information on IVF and may go that route but I'm not quite sure that that can help me given my particular problem. Does anyone out there know of anyone who has experienced this?

Old 08-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Pituitary has shut down?

Hi -
Long ago when we were TTC, I read that it was a tad easier to become PG if you weigh at least 110lbs - no matter what height you are. It actually worked for me 3 times with the extra aid of Clomid.

Wishing you well! Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 12:20 PM   #3

marnic HB User

Thank you for the reply Barbara. Well, I weigh around 114 for 5'4" which seems pretty normal. We'll be looking further into my/our fertility issues in mid-September. Until then, I've started acupuncture, hoping that it'll benefit me somehow and put things into balance. I'm skeptical but willing to try.

Maria

Old 08-19-2004, 11:16 AM   #4

acowntant HB User

Maria,

Did you go for acupuncture yet? How was it?

I'm thinking of trying it....

Bridgette

Old 08-19-2004, 11:57 AM   #5

marnic HB User
Smile Re: Pituitary has shut down?

Hi Bridgette,

I"ve been to acupuncture twice so far so it's a little too soon to tell. It's most definitely a different way of looking at whatever the particular problem is. The first time, she made an assessment of my situation, then had some suggestions for Omega 3 supplements and to go eat some red meat. She said you need blood to get blood. As for the needles, they are not painful. I did briefly experience a strange pain in my neck, of all places, once I'd left her office. No needles had been anywhere near my neck. At the next visit, she said it could have been a chi blockage. I definitely felt something different on my second visit, like a sensation of blood racing through my body. This, after all, is exactly what I need!

I'm still a little skeptical of the whole thing but will continue to visit for a few weeks or months. Even my RE recommended I try it based on some studies he's read. I actually did some web research on my own and how it related to my problem. That is what convinced me to give it a shot, months later, of course. It keeps me kind of busy and focused until I see him again in mid-September to see if I'm a candidate for IVF.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Closed Thread