It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2004, 07:08 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
symptoms of pituitary gland tumor...obesity?

My doctor and I are currently trying to figure out what is wrong with me. Something is hormonally wrong with me...excess facial hair, adult acne, I get red stripes on my back that go away after a few days. I have read some about pituitary gland tumors, and I have several of the symptoms, but it sounds like one of the symptoms is obesity...and I am not obese. Also, it seems to me that my forehead is growing...does anyone with a pituitary tumor have this symptom? And is obesity always a symptom? I would be interested in knowing what symptoms any of you with pituitary gland tumors have. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #2

mamu710 HB User
Re: symptoms of pituitary gland tumor...obesity?

I would suggest seeing a Endocrinolgist. One who specializes in Pituitary Tumors. Perhaps a MRI of the brain. There are a lot of conditions that could cause your symptoms. A Endo should do bloodwork to check for different hormonal problems. If you're face seems to be changing I would look into Acromegaly. Ask your doctor about it. You don't have to be obese to have pituitary problems. Are you male of female. Do you have menstrual problems?
Just a couple of suggestions.
My biggest suggestion would be to do some digging yourself and check with your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User

I am a 31 year old female and my periods can be irregular...like I tend to have longer cycles (32 to 45 days...sometimes longer). I have so many other "little" symptoms like skin tags, humming in one ear, vericose veins, joint pain on right side of body, tender spots, irregular heartbeat etc. that I don't know if they could be related or not. I'd love to hear more from any of you!

Old 10-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

I have a pituitary tumor and I'm not overweight. They really aren't sure right now what mine is secreting. Possibly ACTH, which would mean Cushings Disease. Symptoms include weight gain, irregular periods, hair growth, acne, stretch marks, a hump on the back of the neck, and a moon shaped face. They suspect I haven't had weight gain because I also have an adrenal gland problem.
It won't hurt to be tested. Have them check prolactin, acth, cortisol (preferably 24 hour urine), tsh, and growth hormone.
Another thing that can cause acne and hair growth is the adrenal problem I have, late onset congential adrenal hyperplasia. They can start to check for this by testing your androgen levels. The next step would be an acth stimulation test.
I hope that helps!

Closed Thread