It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
(female)

makemeshiver33 HB User
Unhappy Thyroid or Pituitary Gland Problems?

TREEFROGS QUOTE:

Quote:
I had over the years developed hair loss, unprecedented weight gain I could not lose, lowered metabolism, carpal tunnel symptoms, severe joint pain, many miscarriages, severe menses and PMS, loss of memory, mental fog, confusion, extreme fatigue, a goiter (swollen thyroid), dizziness, random shooting pains, tingling extremities, numb extremities, loss of muscle tone, muscle weakness, bruising, eye tics, cold intolerance, extreme heat flashes, low body temperature (96.7 was "normal, the doctors told me). I had developed anxiety attacks for "no" reason, heart palpitations, lost my sex drive, had unexplained fatigue, depression and suicidal thoughts.

I was a very slender, high energy person until in a serious accident when I was almost nineteen, and am now in my early fifties and overweight by about 75 pounds. I attributed many of my symptoms to those old injuries, though doctors for the most part told me I was very healthy.
I read this post by Treefrog this morning, and so many of the things she has listed here hit home. I have tried for over 5 years now to tell my doctor what is wrong with me, and he chalks it up to my weight, or I'm suffering from depression.

For the last few years my health has seemed to fail me, the older I have gotten, the worse it has gotten.

It started in 1988, I was 18 years old, and in a horrible car accident. My left ear was completely cut off, I suffered through that, to end up with a scar and nerve damage on that side of my face...I have no feeling in my cheek or ear...and my collarbone was broken. I wieghed 145 pounds, I'm 5-8....

After that wreck, I steadily continued to gain wieght, to the point that when I had my second child at 28, I weighed 331 pounds. I have battled my wieght since that moment, and I am down to 245, but its a never ending battle. Its cause for anger management at times, but I have pleaded to my doctors, that," I am to active, and I do not eat enough calories to constitute my wieght. And as active as I am, what calories I consume, I'd be sure to burn off." Result: "Your just suffering from depression, you eat more than you realize...or it ..isn't the amount you eat, its what your eating." Trust me, the weight is a major issue with me, I ballon up and down...

In August of 2003, I woke one morning, stretched, and apparently popped my arm out of socket. After the ER visit, which resulted in a diagnosis of "Repetive motion", considering I was a cosmotologist...it seemed logical to them. I told them, "No"...thats not what was wrong. But after spending 5 days on the couch literally doped up due to extreme pain, an MRI, some X-rays, and eventual therapy.. they still haven't found a reason. Now, I suffer with joint pain, my fingers draw up, hand goes numb, my shoulder blade with even draw......but I was told, "Well, if you keep having problems with it, we'll look into it some more."... WHEN?

In Aug, first part of Sept 2004, I started suffering with chronic sinusitus. I have had occasional bouts with it, allergies...etc, but what started then was uncontrollable. I was seeing the doctor on an average of every 4-5 weeks. Diagnosed with the usual, double ear infection, sinusitus...might have strep or tonsulitus to go along with it, and it would turn into a major upper respritory infection before it was over with. From Sept 2004 to July of 2005, I suffered through 9 infections....all consisting of the same problems. Treated with anit-biotics and allergy medications.

My feet, they are a whole other issue...I have suffered with the occasional gout, to the point now...I have had extreme pain for the last two weeks, in the heel/ back of ankle tendon area. I can not stretch my foot out flat, it inflicts so much pain that its intolerable. I have hopped, limped, and jumped my way through the last two weeks....and haven't visited the doctor, because...all they do is tell me, "ITs your weight...here, have this for depression and this for your weight"...

I'm getting angry.......

I have point blank told my doctor that I wanted my thyroid checked..a complete screen done. They come back and tell me its normal. I want my pituitary gland checked...but they just roll their eyes at me.
"They are the doctors, I am not."

I have high cholorestal, high blood pressure, constant headaches, fatigue to the point of total exhaustion at times...suffer with joint pain...chronic sinusitus...wieght gain....bloatedness....easily bruised...low body temp...severe pms...unexplained aches/pains...no metabolism..and many others..

One note: I am a very active person, In my job now, cafe manager...I walk over 6 miles a day....toting something, bending, walking, running, I am not a couch potatoe. I am constantly moving...come home to work...even weekends, we are out in the woods walking roads..looking for arrowheads, sometimes we do 3 or 4 miles there. I do yard work..

And my eating habits..yes, they aren't the best. But like I said, I'm to active to constitute this body weight.

I'm tired of not being listened too....I have begged, pleaded for help, and it all gets chalked up to my weight, or depression. No matter how hard I plead....

Whats wrong with me?...I think it has more to do with my pituitary gland not excreting the adult growth hormone...but they won't listen to me...and I fit every symptom to a T...

Getting frustrated..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
(female)

StuckInIllinois HB User
Re: Thyroid or Pituitary Gland Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeshiver33

I have point blank told my doctor that I wanted my thyroid checked..a complete screen done. They come back and tell me its normal.

What do they consider normal? Guidelines have changed over the years, but yet most doctors don't seem to know or even run proper tests. You really should have TSH, FT3, FT4 and antibodies tests done. Hopefully someone will jump in here and tell exactly what tests. If you have any prior tests, get copies and post here, you will get some very helpful replies. I don't know anything about the Pituitary gland, but have had a lot of the same symptoms you posted from TreeFrogs list. After many, many years, I finally got an answer of (autoimmune) Hashimoto's. I was told thyroid was always normal when they ran just a TSH test. Now that I have copies, I see that I have been anywhere from a 2.63-5.45 which is not normal according to newer guidelines/ranges which aren't so new anymore. I never had a TSH below 2.00 in the last 5 years when they ran tests until now.

I'm tired of not being listened too....I have begged, pleaded for help, and it all gets chalked up to my weight, or depression. No matter how hard I plead....

It is so frustrating and makes it so much worse than it has to be. You have come to the right place just to vent. Please, please take control and find new doctors to help. Call ahead to try and screen them. If they refuse to run tests or treat you, have them sign something saying that they refused to treat your concerns and symptoms. Try a DO doctor, lots of us have had luck with them, me included. They tend to look at the whole body/person rather than 1 problem at a time.

Getting frustrated..........
If it wasn't for the library, internet, and great places like here, I still probably would be feeling horrible. Now that I am finally feeling so much better, I can't believe I was living like that. Never again! I just knew that it wasn't what the doctors would tell me . . . .kids, aging, stress, work, eating/sneaking too much, not exercising, not enough sleep. . . . .and so on. My biggest thing is to TRUST YOU and how you feel. Then keep pushing on. And if it is your thyroid, it takes quite a while, no overnight miracles. I wish you great luck in your search. Keep us posted.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

makemeshiver33 HB User

StuckInIllinios, Thank you for your reply...

Quote:
If it wasn't for the library, internet, and great places like here, I still probably would be feeling horrible. Now that I am finally feeling so much better, I can't believe I was living like that. Never again! I just knew that it wasn't what the doctors would tell me . . . .kids, aging, stress, work, eating/sneaking too much, not exercising, not enough sleep. . . . .and so on. My biggest thing is to TRUST YOU and how you feel. Then keep pushing on. And if it is your thyroid, it takes quite a while, no overnight miracles. I wish you great luck in your search. Keep us posted.
From the screens I have had done, I couldn't tell you what they resulted in.
"Normal", is all I have been told..to my utter dismay. I don't want a thyroid problem, I just want an answer to whats going on inside/with my body.

I did change doctors about two months ago, honestly, I was afraid of him, for the reason..I had previously used one doctor for over 10 years, and no results...I had been herded through like a pig to slaughter, never taking his time to talk to me, just reading the paper, asking what my problem was? To him giving me prescriptions for high blood pressure, allergies, and weight. Same ole same ole. The new doctor, did take his time...talked to me, but said.."Lets handle one problem at a time." "OK". He did the same thing...handed me medication for high blood pressure, high chlorestoral (sp?), and wieght management.

The medications did nothing but make me sick...tired, and more fatigued, to the point I didn't think I could put one foot in front of the other..on some days. I know...the first thing I should have done was call him,but I got frustrated and slowly pulled myself off the meds...knowing that once I was off them, that I'd feel somewhat better. And I did....he was pulling my blood pressure to low. And I haven't went back....

I am so tired of doctors not wanting to listen to the patient...thinking that the wieght issues are the main culprit. I have even went as far to point out to my doctor that my mother suffers from Lupus...but again, no nothing.

Sure, my weight is cause for concern, but there are other issues that are cause for concern also, like..what caused the issue with the weight..?

Old 05-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Well, sad to say, it might take more than one doctor change. As you may know, it's very possible that your thyroid was damaged during that car accident. Even simple whiplash from rear endings can damage the thyroid. There are studies showing this. Keep your oral history VERY CLEAR regarding onset of problems.

You can help yourself by getting your past test results, the lab printouts with actual numbers & reference ranges. You have a legal right to obtain these results, just phone the office & ask for them to be sent to you. If you want to post the thyroid numbers & ref ranges here, people will be happy to comment.

Most of us have had to be quite specific regarding which thyroid tests we want: free T3, free T4, thyroid antibodies (3 diff ones), & TSH. The standard screening test is TSH, & if you ask for a "complete screening," that is all you are likely to get. The majority of doctors use only this test as a guide, and it is highly flawed.

Some of us have changed doctors enough times that we don't waste office visits -- we prescreen the practices on the phone. And network like crazy among friends, relatives, acquaintances, co-workers, to find a doc who is responsive. You may want to try to find a doc who treats by symptoms, rather than by lab tests. These are very rare.

Basically you can turn the situation around somewhat with an attitude, yourself, that the doctors are "hired help." You consult them for what YOU want. If they do the job, you retain them. If they don't -- fire them. Who wants to pay all that $$$ to be abused/neglected ?????

Some of us have found more success with docs who are not M.D.s -- naturopaths or D.O.s (doctor of osteopathy). John C. Lowe is a doctor who has trained others to treat thyroid disorders that cause fibromyalgia (possibly you have symptoms) by looking at the patient, not the numbers. I believe in his books he lists doctors who use this method.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread