It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Question Who here has been screened for Pituitary Tumor?

My endocrn said she is going to do some more blood tests to check my Pitutary gland to ensure we don't have to worry about tumors. I thought the only way to know is by an MRI ? Or - can the blood tests tell her whether or not she needs to look further?

Just wondering...
Thanks!

Old 05-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
Re: Who here has been screened for Pituitary Tumor?

Hi zosolizard i have just had a blood test come back with a high level of prolactin, This can be one reason for a MRI scan, Also I have been having headache on top of my head. I have missed peroids all of this is a good reason to get checked out, as you can see I am a little worrired as I have all the symptoms and here in the U.K the NHS is slow to act .Are you having any symptoms take care ...Mandy

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 05-22-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

YMARTINEZ HB User

I know when they suspected I had a tumor, they would test my alpha subunit leverls....

Old 05-23-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Interesting, thank you. I am scheduled for some more blood tests in about 2 weeks ( to allow for the BC Pill to get out of my system). I believe I have several of the textbook symptoms of a pituitary tumor - but then again, it could all be due to my thyroid based upon what I've heard here.

Ahhhhh the endocrine system!!!

Old 06-15-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
(female)

Laney00 HB User

I just had my prolactin levels checked (blood test), and came back with elevated levels. My gyno says i probably have a small tumor (benign) on my pituitary gland. These are common and don't cause to much problems (as they grow very slowly) except when you are trying to get pregnant b/c too much prolactin can mess with your cycle and stop ovulation. I am scheduled for an MRI to diagnose it for sure and then we discussed a medication to help shrink it and stop it from producing the excess prolactin. My husband and i have been trying to conceive for a year now so hopefully this is the problem and we get it taken care of.
So anyway, with my diagnosis, no one seemed too worried about this possible tumor.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi Laney00 Do you know how high your level was my is over a ( 1000) I have not had a MRI scan yet I have been having headaches and lots of pain in and around kidneys and belly and also feeling nausea, have you had any problems apart from trying for a baby. I do hope you go on to have a healthy baby, have you got hashi's hypo, you take care ...Mandy

Old 06-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
(female)

Laney00 HB User

Actually it was only slightly elevated - 25 (highest it should be is ~18, I guess). Its not much but apparently it still indicates something.
I don't know if I have other symptoms from the possible tumor, I suffer with frequent headaches and also have stomach issues, so who knows if a tumor is the cause?!
Hopefully for you an MRI will determine the problem and aid in alleviating your symptoms. Are you scheduled for one?
Thanks for the baby wishes, we're hoping and praying!

Closed Thread