It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

lanam80 HB User
do pituitary problems run in families?

Hi
my latest lab results are as follows:

TSH 0.8567 (range 0.35-4.9)
Free T4 0.95 (range 0.7-1.55)
Free T3 2.60 (range 1.7-3.7)
Total T4 6.65 (range 4.9-11.7)
Total T3 92.92 (range 58-159)
T3 uptake 0.91 (range 0.69-1.41)

after some preliminary research I found mention of hypothryoidism due to low pituitary function, which is most often caused by tumors on the pituitary gland...this struck me because we have a STRONG family history of thyroid problems *and* my sister has a tumor on her pituitary gland that was diagnosed about 2 years ago..so it got me wondering if pituitary problems can be hereditary??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: do pituitary problems run in families?

The causes of the majority of pituitary tumors are unknown, although some are a part of a very rare hereditary disorder called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia type I (MEN I).

There is a very strong correlation between heredity and primary thyroid disorders.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
(female)

IrisT HB User

Hi Lanam, I can't answer your question about pituitary problems, but I notice your lab numbers are very similar to mine! Mine are:

TSH 0.84 (0.3--5.6)
Free T4 0.9 (0.6--1.1)
Total T4 9.5 (4.5--12.5)
Total T3 107 (60--181)

I have many hypo symptoms, an enlarged thyroid with complex cold nodule on one side (biopsy this week), an RAI uptake scan pointing to hypo (6-hr uptake was low; 24-hr uptake was low-normal), and a family history of hypothyroid and autoimmune disease. My doctor is confused as to why my lab results are coming back like this when all my symptoms and family history strongly indicate hypo. She just ordered a new round of tests, including TSH, free T4/T3, T3 Uptake, reverse T3, and TSI (for Grave's antibodies--I have one cousin with Grave's disease). I already had TPO-Ab and TgAb tests for Hashimoto's antibodies, which show I am positive for both antibodies but in levels so low they're considered normal.

I've wondered about a pituitary problem, too, but now I am also wondering if some medications I take might be skewing my tests. Last night I found some info about dopamine agonists suppressing TSH and messing up thyroid test results. Very interesting to me because I take two meds, Wellbutrin and Adderall, which both affect dopamine. Do you take any similar meds, by chance?

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

lanam80 HB User

Hi IrisT
wow our numbers ARE similar! we're messed-up-thyroid-twins
that would be great if we could keep each other updated and compare notes

I am not on any medications...so no clues there
so, what info would they gather from the nodule? i'm still new to all this all these terms are making my head spin

keep me posted!

btw, it's funny, i'm about 5 min. away from the border to michigan, in canada maybe we really are twins :P

Old 03-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
(female)

IrisT HB User

Hi messed-up-thyroid twin! (Waving at you from across the border)

This week I should get T3 uptake and Free T3 results back...it will be interesting to see if those are close to yours, too.

The nodule I have is a complex cold nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid. "Complex" means it contains both solid material and fluid-filled cysts. "Cold" means it doesn't take up (absorb) radioactive iodine. The way I understand the biopsy, the ENT uses a fine needle to remove samples of tissue from the nodule and the thyroid gland. I think he might also aspirate (drain liquid from) the cysts within the nodule; this may help to decrease the size of the nodule, making my enlarged thryoid smaller. The ENT will send those samples to a pathologist, who will view them to see what kind of tissue they contain and if there are any cancer cells present. Also, he can tell if I have Hashimoto's disease.

Don't quote me on any of that explanation, but that's how I think it works.

Do you have an enlarged thyroid also?

Old 03-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
(female)

meisha HB User

Hey to you both,
I just noticed my labs are similar too--Ive heard something similar to this about any SSRI med and Dopamine. I would be interested in learning more. I take Lexapro and trazadone to sleep. I also read something about pituitary tumors causing secondary thyroid-related problems. Do any of you have deteriorating vision, headaches or menstrual problems as well?

BJM

Last edited by moderator2; 05-27-2007 at 11:13 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 03-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
(female)

lanam80 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha View Post
I also read something about pituitary tumors causing secondary thyroid-related problems. Do any of you have deteriorating vision, headaches or menstrual problems as well?

BJM
yup to headaches (tmj pain..not often but when it comes on LOOK OUT! the last time i had to *crawl* to the phone to call the inlaws to pick up the kids cuz i was UNABLE To feed them or do anything), my periods were gone for a year after i had the baby and when they came back they are about 2 weeks long now...

as for vision, i just feel it slightly getting worse during the day, but definitely the past few months was telling dh that I cannot drive at night anymore cuz everything is sooo hard to read unless i'm right up to it and the lights etc are fuzzy

how about you?

Old 03-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
(female)

meisha HB User

I had a few headaches that were severe and went to the ER over the past few years. I just figured they were migraines and really haven't been too bothered with them anymore. My periods only come every three months, but last about 10 days, because I'm over 40 they attribute it to menopause, yet I have slight leaking from my breasts and stopped breast feeding 16 years ago. It seems contradictory to menopause! Keep hanging in there..maybe if one of us finds out something more it can help the others...
BJM

Old 03-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
(female)

IrisT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha View Post
Do any of you have deteriorating vision, headaches or menstrual problems as well?
BJM
Generally none of those problems for me. I always used to have severe PMS, a migraine headache the day or two before my period, plus very painful periods (heavy, cramps, etc.), but all of that went away two years ago when I cleaned up my diet. I eat protein at every meal, good fats, complex carbs only, veggies and fruit; cut out sugar & artificial sweeteners, caffeine, processed foods and "whites"--white flour, white rice, etc. The only time I have menstrual pain/headaches now is if I skimp on the healthy food and let sugar and caffeine slip back into my diet.

Meisha, I've read the leaking breast problem might be connected to pituitary. Do searches related to prolactin....

Keep us posted!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:40 AM   #10
(female)

jenn3 HB User

my dr. said they are heriditary

Closed Thread