It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
symptoms of pituitary

Hi everyone,

I'm writing this post because of friend of mine told me 2 months ago that I have symptoms of a pituitary tumor. I haven't seen my GP or had my hormones checked yet but I'm going to sometime this week providing I get a appointment.
I'm wondering what your symptoms were? I've been having strange things going on with me for 2 years now and I always put it down to the back end of a viral thing. But now I'm not so sure. Roughly this is what's been happening to me; I used to have very regular periods & could set the clock to the time & date my period would start. But for a few years now they've been all over the place & more so this last year. For example I can miss my period for 2-4 months at a time, then I'll have my period every 6 weeks & a few months ago I had 5 full & heavy periods in 6 weeks. I went to my GP in the end & she told me to come back in 3 months if its still happening. (Useless GP). I've just finished my period now & it was very very heavy but stopped completely after 48 hours. My last period which was 5 weeks ago was literally loads of bloodied clots for 5 days & then it stopped. With this period I've just finished I had abdominal period cramping for a week so I knew it was on its way but the problem is when. Argh I hate periods.

I also keep having dizziness spells & visual disturbances like blurriness or fog in front of my eyes. I also get daily headaches which my GP said are Migraines but these headaches feel different to Migraine & there isn't any Migraine aura. I feel the cold a lot too. My hands are always cold & when Im in a warm room I sometimes get hot flushes too even when other people in the room say I'm mad because its "just right" & not that hot. I also have nipple discharge which is exactly like milk. I've had this discharge for well over a year now, might even be closer to 2 years. I never told the GP because I don't like to bother them or visit them & its definitely not a milk duct infection. There isn't any pain, just this discharge which I notice every day I'm in the bath or shower. I also get very tired & the last month my sleeping patters have got haywire because I stay awake all night & fall asleep about 10am/2pm till I have to get up. So I'm always tired & lethargic.

Im sorry this post is long but I thought I would ask about it. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Amy 333 HB User
Re: symptoms of pituitary

I do not have a pituitary tumour myself though work in a setting where my job is related with the medical imaging of such cases.
Your symptoms are classical of a pituitary tumour. . .all you need to confirm this is blood works- where you ll get high prolactin levels and an MRi.
The tumour may be one of two types a macroadenoma or a microadenoma. The pituitary gland is the master gland of the body and controls most of your hrmones. That is why you are getting irreglar periods and secretions from your breast. It is also related to your thyroid which is why you feel tired. Your visual problems are due to the fact that the tumour may be pressing on your optic nerves.
There is treatment and in certain cases also surgery however if i were you i would see to it as soon as possible.

Don t know if i ve been of much help. You need diagnosis .. forget the GP go to an endocrinologist.

Keep us posted Good luck

Amy

Old 03-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hey Amy & thank you for your reply. Can a pituitary tumor sometimes cause memory problems to? Its just sometimes I forget things & names of objects. Its weird. I really hope I haven't got a pituitary tumor. I know some stuff about this tumor but not a lot. Is it true that the lacating is due to proclatin?

I have to see my GP to get a referral for the Endocrinologist. Hate GPs. They never listen just hand over painkillers. But there is one good GP who's on tomorrow I can try to get a good appointment for. She deals with all the women issues so should get somewhere hopefully. Will I need to ask the GP specifically for the blood test to check proclatin or is that checked with the normal hormonal blood tests? Thank you again and yup you've been helpful hun.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Amy 333 HB User

Hi

Don t know if this would result in memory problems. How old are you?
However the breast secretions are definitely the result of high prolactin levels. A hormone profile should include a prolactin test but there s no harm in asking the dr if this was included.

I really hope that you don t have a pit tumour either. . . . however the signs are quite clear. A microadenoma is actually quite common and easier to manage than a macroadenoma. However at this stage the most imp thing is that you see to it.

Good luck. Please keep me posted.

Amy

Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
(female)

serinity HB User

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? If not, definately do. Alot of the symptoms you describe can be thyroid related.
Good Luck

Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi everyone & thank you for your replies. I'm 20 nearly 21 (2 months). I had my Thyroid checked around 3 months ago & that was normal thankfully. I tried to get a appointment today but all the appointments were gone in 10minutes. I'll have to try to ring a few minutes earlier & try to get appointment but the receptionists are so annoying & tell everyone to ring at 8:30 for a appointment on the day & if I ring at 8am they tell me to ring back in half a hour & when I do appointments are all gone. Grrr. Oh well. I'll keep trying till I get one.

Is it possible to have high proclatin without a pit tumor? Can another hormone problems cause the milk discharge? Thank you again hun.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Amy 333 HB User

Since you had your thyroid checked and that was ok i would say that it is the pituitary. . . ..i don t think that there is any other prob that could be related to yur symptoms.
you are still very young it is imp that you have it controlled since if you don t it will be difficult to have kids too.
hope you manage to get that appt asap

Amy

Old 03-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi Amy. Thank you again for your reply. Still no luck with the appointment. It's difficult to get a appointment with my GP ever since they changed the appointment system. I was wondering, but is sharp pains in the head (occassionally) & dizzy spells related to the pituitary?

Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
(female)

augusta68 HB User

Hi!

I am new to this forum, but I just had surgery in February to remove a pituitary mass that turned out to be a cyst not a tumor. However, my symptoms included severe headaches for 2 months soon after the birth of my 3rd child. The headaches evolved into vision problems that included a veil-like obstruction in both eyes. It was like I was wearing glasses with smudges that I could not wipe off.

I went to an optomotrist, who recommended me to an opthamolgist. The field test at the opthamolgist did not mesh with what he saw in my eyes, so he concluded there may be something putting pressure on the optic nerve. He had an MRI scheduled for me within 2 days. Very urgent, as he was concerned with the field test.

If this is affecting your vision, definitely have the MRI ASAP. 2 Hours after the MRI, my doctor called me with the results that it was a mass (tumor, he thought) and it was quite large. Labs done the following week indicated the mass could not be treated with medicine, because it was not hormone-producing and needed surgery. Prolactin levels were slightly elevated due to nursing.

This all started less than 3 months prior. The fact I had just delivered a baby was also masking any "pituitary" symptoms because I was nursing and had not had regular cycles due to the delivery & nursing.

I found this forum researching pituitary issues. I am scheduled to meet with an Endocrinologist early next month. Cycle not resuming yet nearing 2 months post-surgery and still having regular headaches.

But definitely get to a doctor. Like I said, mine was discovered by an opthamologist.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
(female)

augusta68 HB User

Hi!

I am new to this forum, but I just had surgery in February to remove a pituitary mass that turned out to be a cyst not a tumor. However, my symptoms included severe headaches for 2 months soon after the birth of my 3rd child. The headaches evolved into vision problems that included a veil-like obstruction in both eyes. It was like I was wearing glasses with smudges that I could not wipe off.

I went to an optomotrist, who recommended me to an opthamolgist. The field test at the opthamolgist did not mesh with what he saw in my eyes, so he concluded there may be something putting pressure on the optic nerve. He had an MRI scheduled for me within 2 days. Very urgent, as he was concerned with the field test.

If this is affecting your vision, definitely have the MRI ASAP. 2 Hours after the MRI, my doctor called me with the results that it was a mass (tumor, he thought) and it was quite large. Labs done the following week indicated the mass could not be treated with medicine, because it was not hormone-producing and needed surgery. Prolactin levels were slightly elevated due to nursing.

This all started less than 3 months prior. The fact I had just delivered a baby was also masking any "pituitary" symptoms because I was nursing and had not had regular cycles due to the delivery & nursing.

I found this forum researching pituitary issues. I am scheduled to meet with an Endocrinologist early next month. Cycle not resuming yet nearing 2 months post-surgery and still having regular headaches.

But definitely get to a doctor. Like I said, mine was discovered by an opthamologist.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi there & thank you for your help. I hope you're doing better now. I'm still not having any luck with getting a appointment. I'm not giving up though....try again tomorrow. *sigh*

I too have vision problems. Like a fog going over my eyes or a lot of smoke in front of my eyes. My Opthamologist said I have Astigmatism but this shouldn't cause this & to come back if I'm still having problems. My memory is very bad too. I'm even starting to slur my words. I've been doing this quite often for the last week & it always happens around early afternoon or evening time. Im very exhausted as well & I haven't done anything apart from sleep so it doesn't make sense. I think if I cant get a normal appointment tomorrow I'll ask for a emergency appointment. Thanks again.

Closed Thread