It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
(female)

melody81 HB User
pituitary tumor?

Hi,

Posting here b/c it looks like there are a lot of threads about pituitary tumors.

I was told I had a high IGF (insulin growth factor) level. Could this possibly indicate a pituitary tumor?

Other symptoms I have are frequent headaches, fatigue, and irregular periods. Plus, also diagnosed with high dhea and testosterone (which was causing me a lot of facial hair issues!) I also have a lot of sinus/breathing problems, but i don't know if this is related to anything or not.

I'm having a 3 hr GH suppression test on Wednesday...anyone ever have one of these, and if so, what conditions is this test used to diagnose or rule out?

Old 07-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User
Re: pituitary tumor?

That testing is for acromegaly. It is for too much growth hormone. I have the opposite in that I have low growth hormone. But I had the same test. It works for both. You are to be fasting, not to have exercised within 12 hours before the test and to be relaxed. It is not a bad test at all as you just have to wait as they take blood at timed intervals. They will,depending on the type of test, give you a med to stimulate growth hormone. So they take one or two baseline tests, give you the med, then at timed intervals, take more samples.
Your symptoms are consistent with a pituitary tumor. DHEA is produced in the adrenal but sometimes there is a cascade effect - for instance if the tumor is on an ACTH portion of the pituitary, it may not be sectreting that hormone but it may effect that part of the pituitary by putting pressure on it.
I don't think the sinus problems are related though. I had them and had a separate sinus surgery. The pituitary and sinuses are separated by bone and it would take a huge tumor to go through that and your eye sight would be effected first usually. An MRI would give you an indication of size. They are usually quite tiny. I had two - cushing's and prolactinoma.
Good luck on your testing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
(female)

melody81 HB User

Thanks for the info

I ran across acromegaly on the internet. The only thing that confuses me is that I keep reading that people with acromegaly will have large hands and feet...and I'm a very tiny person. My hands and feet are not huge by any means lol. (We're talking a size 6 1/2 shoe here lol) I wonder if it's possible to have that w/o having the large hands/feet, or maybe if i do have that...they caught it in time before that happens? Like i say, i'm very small, so I would definitely notice if my hands and feet started to get bigger.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

If it is caught soon enough, yes, you would not look like those pictures. That is the goal - to be diagnosed before you get the physical hallmarks that even a 6 year old could diagnose a person!
It should be able to be diagnosed on the more subtle symptoms so you don't have to get that far but if you are not, then you may be more at risk of developing some of those symptoms. I have met some with and without the physical hallmarks. One lady only had her teeth spaced a bit further apart. Her dentist noticed and that is how she got diagnosed.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

The pituitary is the mother of all hormones.

It is always checked when hormones are out of balance very much. That can rule it out as a factor in the hormone problems.

If you do not have a tumor or cyst then the worry is gone.

High DHEA & high testosterone in itself is not bad. They give stamina, strength, good sex drive. Many highly competive women have these hormone high.

The Following User Says Thank You to JinL For This Useful Post:
Elegirl (05-10-2012)
Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

I had a tumor. I had severe sinus headaches. thought it was allergies for years. (I dont have allergies now) Yes it was huge. the surgion said it was one of the biggest he had ever seen and couldnt imagine why I wasn't showing more overt signs.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
(female)

melody81 HB User

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm still waiting to hear back from my doctor's office. Hopefully I will know something soon.

Closed Thread