It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
(male)

SkipperH HB User
MRI detecting Pituitary problem

I'm currently awaiting two more blood tests to come back from the lab before I see my Endocrinologist for the first time. I was wondering, if one of the issues could be a problem with the pituitary gland would a normal head MRI detect a condition or is this a special MRI to detect Pituitary problems? The reason I ask is I have already had two head MRIs when they were trying to figure out why my balance has been so poor.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
(male)

Jinxy285 HB User
Re: MRI detecting Pituitary problem

Not sure, but I have a pituatary adenoma and they are classified I am told as micro and macro...micro obviously being small and macro being bigger... mine was micro, 5mm I believe....so I doubt that if the MRI was not specifically looking for that that it would normally catch it. I was also told that often times the adenoma is on the inside if the pit gland so it is hard to see even with an MRI....

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
(male)

SkipperH HB User

Thanks Jinxy, What were your first symptoms? Was there any symptoms that were odd or did not fit the normal profile of low T?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
(male)

Jinxy285 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperH View Post
Thanks Jinxy, What were your first symptoms? Was there any symptoms that were odd or did not fit the normal profile of low T?
no, since my adenoma was prolactin secreting the first symptom that got my attention was ED, in retrospect my libido had been in decline for a couple years prior... My GP check T and Free T, among the std stuff, the endo was the one who check the prolactin...and after TRT did not cause the prolactin to drop he sent me for an MRI....that confirmed the adenoma and then I started meds to lower the prolactin; it went from 40 to 3.5... the endo claims that using the meds to suppress the prolactin will shrink the adenoma, BUT..if I stop the meds it will come back...SO, I need the meds for life or until a better solution is found.....

Old 10-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperH View Post
I'm currently awaiting two more blood tests to come back from the lab before I see my Endocrinologist for the first time. I was wondering, if one of the issues could be a problem with the pituitary gland would a normal head MRI detect a condition or is this a special MRI to detect Pituitary problems? The reason I ask is I have already had two head MRIs when they were trying to figure out why my balance has been so poor.
The MRI can be focused on the gland. my first one was an mri conentrating in around the eyes (I was losing vision) It found the pit tumor (it was really big) Every one I've ahd since then has been focused on the gland. lots of blown up shots of the area.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

Its possible the head MRI might show it if the doctor noticed it but to be sure you really need to have one done where they are looking specifically for an adenoma on the pituitary. They will take pictures both with and without a contrasting agent. Even with this test some adenomas are so small they can not see them. It is best to find an ultafine MRI machine but I don't know how to find that. There are different resolutions in the machines though.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
(male)

SkipperH HB User

Hi HF, This has been a long road for me. The first symptom I had was this balance/dizzy thing, which lead to (or so I believe) brain fog, memory problems, very poor comprehension after reading, irritable, depression. I've seen ENTs, Neurologists and had many tests, but none have shown abnormal readings. Because of my depression, which my family informed me was getting worse, I did allow the Neuro to put me on an anti-depressant which at least gets me through the day and helps with my concentration too. Is it possible all or some of these problems may be related to a Pituitary disorder?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

The pituitary is called the master gland and controls many of the hormones in our body. Most of your symptoms could be from low testosterone which can be caused by a pituitary problem including an adenoma. The balance/dizzy issue you had does not really fit that well. Have you had any blows to the head or car accidents shortly before this happened?

I don't see above if you have had your T level checked or not. Might be worth checking it. I can't tell you how many men have been on anti-depressant's when all along their problem was low T. To make matters worse the anti-depressants will likely make your libido and ED problems worse if you really suffer from low T.

If you do get the T tested, also teat for LH, FSH at the same time and get a copy of the results. What many doctors consider normal is not normal.

Last edited by hayfarmer; 10-28-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 AM   #9
(male)

SkipperH HB User

I've had total T level tested it was 202. They're checking 3 others, still waiting.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

Well there it is. The low T at least explains most of your symptoms. 202 is very low. Post the others when you get them. Hopefully they check T again at the same time.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #11
(male)

SkipperH HB User

Numbers are in here goes:

Total T= 287 was 202 month or so ago.
Free T= 11.8
LH= 3.3
TSH=1.91
FSH= 1.9

The nurse said that they read these numbers on new patients and determine what the urgency of the first visit will be. I've got my first appointment 11-16. What should I expect?

Closed Thread