It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

janica HB User
what is pituitary tumor surgery like

I have a macroadenoma pituitary tumor. Blood tests to check hormone levels
have been done but I do not have any results yet. From all that I have read
about these tumors, it looks like I'm probably headed for surgery. I had a kidney removed almost 1 year ago from cancer, however, doctors don't think this tumor is cancer.

Can anyone tell me what their experience with having a pituitary tumor removed was like? My kidney surgery was difficult. I was in the hospital 7 days and had a long and difficult recovery. I've been going through chemo-type treatment for the last 9 months and will at last be through with that in 2 months. I have only just in the last month or so begun to be without pain from the surgery and to feel that I am finally starting to get over all this and now it looks like more surgery for this new tumor. I get so depressed thinking about more surgery.

Please share your experiences. I think that the more I know of what to expect, the better I can cope.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User
Re: what is pituitary tumor surgery like

I had this surgery about 4 years ago. I have to say mine was pretty easy (and I have had 12 surgeries). This was among the easiest. I was very nervous as well as this was my only brain surgery but recovery was easy. I was up and walking as soon as they took off the blow up booties. I had no headache, took only one pain pill and just took a while to get back my stamina.
Surgical recovery is one thing - the HORMONAL recovery is another... that is not as fun.

I have gone with other friends to the hospital - one friend had surgery recently and she, how do I say it... was determined not to have a good outcome. She wanted to be spoon fed, moaned, and was very cranky. Her surgery actually well but she is the type of person who decided that after surgery, everyone had to wait on her hand and foot and she was not pleasant.

Most of my friends have done really well with few issues. Some of them get diabetes insipedis temporarily and that resolves within a few days.

Most of all, follow the instructions of your surgeon. Have an experienced one (that will assure the best possible outcome) and talk about what to expect. Talk to your endo about the hormonal recovery so you will not be blindsided by that. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
(female)

janica HB User

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it and feel encouraged.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
(female)

cheribird44 HB User

I just had this surgery in Febuary, and I have to agree, out of my 5 surgeries, this was definatley the easiest. Good luck, just yell if you ever want to talk about it. The possible complications are ALOT scarier than the actual surgery.

Closed Thread