It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
(male)

jshanl HB User
Hashimotos and Pituitary failure

I have Hashis and have some strange lab results. I'm on .175 of synthroid and my T4 Free is 1.3 with a range of .8 to 1.8 my TSH 3rd Gen is .05 with a range of .40 to4.5 and my T3 Free is 336 with a range of 230 to 420. The T4 and T3free are within range but the TSH 3rd Gen is too low. Back in Aug my TSH was.026 and I was told to reduce my Synthyroid from .200 to .175. I understand that my TSH is getting closer to the proper range,but my endo told me yesterday that he thinks that my dose has been too high for too long and he thinks that my Pituitary gland has stopped working. I still have Hypo symptoms such as ,leg cramps,bone pain,bloating,disorientation among others. Has anyone ever had or heard of this being a pituitary problem?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hashimotos and Pituitary failure

Your pituitary is still working, otherwise you'd have deficiency of the other hormones it secretes besides TSH. Your hypothalamus is satisfied that there is enough circulating thyroid hormone, so it has stopped telling your pituitary to make TSH. TSH serves absolutely no other purpose other than to tell your thyroid to make hormone. Your thyroid can't make hormone anyway, so TSH becomes moot. The free T hormones are the ones that matter, and yours are not excessively high. TSH should be disregarded as long as the free Ts don't exceed about 70-75% of their ranges. Do whatever you can not to allow your dose to be reduced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

what is a good indication that the Pituitary has started to fail. Just for my own knowledge? I see it mentioned here on the Board and I am not up on it at all......thanks for any information. O

Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I would assume (maybe incorrectly since I'm only a layperson) that there would be a decrease in the other hormones as well. The pituitary secretes not only TSH, but ACTH, LH/FSH, growth hormone, prolactin, ADH... et al? It would have to be proven to me that only TSH could be involved, especially only since thyroid treatment has been implemented but not before.

Jshanl... Your FT4 is only 50% of its range; your FT3 is only 55%. You were/are not overmedicated at those levels. If you felt better on 200 mcgs, you should have been allowed to stay there. That doesn't automatically mean that your pituitary is not "failing". I'm just saying that TSH becomes irrelevent once thyroid supplementation begins.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
(female)

mskmal HB User

I'm going to jump in here because I have secondary adrenal insuffiency. I am not producing enough ACTH coming from the pituitary. I found out by a a.m. cortisol reading. (fasting) early a.m. came back really low. So then the doctor wanted to find out if it was actually my adreanals or my pituitary. ACTH stim test confirms that. If ACTH is low and cortisol, then it is coming from the pituitary. If ACTH is HIGH then it is coming from the actual adrenals themselves. Then by doing a a.m. cortisol reading you can tell if sorta in the middle of you have adrenal fatigue. There is quite a difference.
This has been my experience.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Question Re: Hashimotos and Pituitary failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskmal View Post
I'm going to jump in here because I have secondary adrenal insuffiency. I am not producing enough ACTH coming from the pituitary. I found out by a a.m. cortisol reading. (fasting) early a.m. came back really low. So then the doctor wanted to find out if it was actually my adreanals or my pituitary. ACTH stim test confirms that. If ACTH is low and cortisol, then it is coming from the pituitary. If ACTH is HIGH then it is coming from the actual adrenals themselves. Then by doing a a.m. cortisol reading you can tell if sorta in the middle of you have adrenal fatigue. There is quite a difference.
This has been my experience.
Hi, Mskmal, My ACTH seemed good, but not my HGH. Am I secondary adrneal insufficiency or pituritary, too?

ACTH 8 AM, 19.70 (0-46)
HGH 0.69 (0.06-5)
blood Cortisol 8AM, 607.82 ( 118.6-618)

Last edited by cutejenny77; 12-31-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Your pituitary is still working, otherwise you'd have deficiency of the other hormones it secretes besides TSH. Your hypothalamus is satisfied that there is enough circulating thyroid hormone, so it has stopped telling your pituitary to make TSH. TSH serves absolutely no other purpose other than to tell your thyroid to make hormone. Your thyroid can't make hormone anyway, so TSH becomes moot. The free T hormones are the ones that matter, and yours are not excessively high. TSH should be disregarded as long as the free Ts don't exceed about 70-75% of their ranges. Do whatever you can not to allow your dose to be reduced.
Thanks, Midwest, I strongly suspect my pituitary function. My sex hormones seem low, also HGH. But not ACTH. What is wrong

ACTH 8 am 19.70 (0-46)
HGH 0.69 (0.06-5)

Old 12-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
(female)

mskmal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejenny77 View Post
Hi, Mskmal, My ACTH seemed good, but not my HGH. Am I secondary adrneal insufficiency or pituritary, too?

ACTH 8 AM, 19.70 (0-46)
HGH 0.69 (0.06-5)
blood Cortisol 8AM, 607.82 ( 118.6-618)
Geeze cute,
I don't know. I had a ACTH stim test. that's how I found out it was coming from my pituitary. HGH is a pituitary hormone though. What did your doctor say about this? I can't give you any info that I don't know about. But I do know that secondary adrenal insuffiency and pituitary are the same. I have also learned that just one hormone can be affected, as also several. That's why I want my other pituitary hormones tested as well. I only know about my ACTH. Dig into it further and don't stop until you know something. Dig, Dig, Dig. I know this probably won't help, but I know exactly how you feel.
I am going to ask someone who knows about this really well. I will tell you what he says. But I still would like to know what your doctor said about this.
I will post as soon as I get an answer. Just remember we are not doctors. But GEEZE it seems like people on these boards (not me) know so much more than they do... LOL... It's true...

Closed Thread